Carbon fiber helmets?? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Riding Gear / Luggage Discussion of Helmets, Boots, Gloves, Leathers, Jackets, Pants, Back Protectors, Earplugs, Tank Bags, Tail Bags, Saddlebags, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 11-08-2014, 8:41 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 6

Carbon fiber helmets??

Looking at 2 different helmets here my bike is murdered out as well as the rest of my riding gear. I am looking at the ICON Ghost Carbon helmet and looking at the Joe Rocket Speedmaster carbon helmet. Do yall have any ideas or opinions? I am going for looks but as well as weight cause the Icon Airmada I have is getting heavy on long rides cause I commute 2 hours a day minimum. I know the Icon Ghost Carbon is 3.4lbs and the Rocket is 3.2. Just want some input. Im looking for a good carbon helmet and 500$ is my limit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-08-2014, 11:19 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

Re: Carbon fiber helmets??

ive got the joe rocket cf helmet n its crazy light. id recommend it. i came from an icon. if your helmet feels heavy might wanna check its fit, if its too big itll really wear your neck out quicker. not saying that is the problem but could be. helmet should fit pretty snug. when you put it on n grab the chin n hold your head straight firmly n try n rotate the helmet left to right you shouldnt be able to move it much at all, n what little it does move should be squishing your face with it. lol im just saying this because the first helmet i got i thought fit right n turned out it was too big, resulting in shoulder n neck pain even after shorter hour long rides.

but that aside, i think the joe rocket is a nice helmet for real. the shield goes on n off really nice for changes from clear to tinted, it came with a very nice bag, it fits similar to an icon in size. i believe the JR is made by hjc, hjc has a similar cf helmet but the rocket was some cheaper on price if i remember. its not the quietest helmet ever but the thing is super light. i seriously barely even can tell im wearing it.

i dont think ill ever go back from carbon fiber helmets.

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson
post #3 of 12 Old 11-09-2014, 7:55 AM

Reputation Power: 0

Arai
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 11-09-2014, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 27

I just went from Arai helmets to Bell Carbon Stars this year they're awesome, super light, not overly expensive, and the transitions shield is great.

post #5 of 12 Old 11-09-2014, 11:57 AM

Well....it still hovers around $600 though, so where are those savings? As pointed out to me, my usual pedantic answer here is, Arai exceeds design in some areas, more than just snob appeal. It vents and face-shield pods are designed to break away easily. While the face shield is on, ventilation is still very good. From 30 mph to 60 mph, kinetic energy quadruples. (You're probably dead at 60mph another words) so a motorcycle helmet with your head inside, slows down or stops suddenly, all that kinetic energy has to go somewhere. The weight doesn't bother me. It's strong, when I do wear a helmet, in comfortable weather.

To absorb and dissipate kinetic energy on impact, they use a fiberglass shell that doesn't deform from it's shape and has soft one piece, multi-density liner, means your skull is more likely to stay intact. It's egg shaped for perfection in strength and less rotational force as you head skips across the road. It's quiet too.
For my head, it's Arai, and a company that does a lot of testing, R&D. Personally Bell fits weird and it's a bitch to put on/take off. I didn't wear my Shoei for the same reasons. It was a noisy helmet too. Cheap stuff fails on impact, what I call an unadvertised special.

My old lady worked in an ER and claimed helmets were worthless on most dead crash victims. They do make an open casket funeral feasible though. One helmet looked fantastic but the riders skull was shattered inside of it. I don't think it was well designed but I cannot remember the brand that it was.
With exception to cool riding weather, I rarely wear a helmet. I just sell them.

If I had a 2 hour ride, Arai will feel like a cinder block in that time. Carbon may be the ticket, just call support for answers before you buy.
post #6 of 12 Old 11-09-2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blunt View Post
Well....it still hovers around $600 though, so where are those savings?
$450 shipped from Riders Discount
post #7 of 12 Old 11-09-2014, 12:06 PM

Thanks for the link.
post #8 of 12 Old 11-09-2014, 12:19 PM

post #9 of 12 Old 11-09-2014, 8:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys.I am still looking for the helmet its going to have to be black for sure. I am pulling off a ghost rider theme lol. bike is flat black so trying to stay in color code with it. I am leaning towards the joe rocket honestly. I just wish i could pull the joe rocket logo off!
post #10 of 12 Old 11-09-2014, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

I think im still leaning towards the speedmaster. 954 Kevin how well does the fog stay down in it? I wish it had a pin lock setup. I looked at the HJC RPHA 10 and it seems like a nice helmet and has pin lock but I did measurements and it said I wear a medium which does not seem right cause my helmet now from icon is an XL. I am going to go to my local shop tomorrow and try a few helmets on and see cause they are an HJC dealer. I am 100% sure I am going carbon fiber. my airmada weigts 3.67lbs the hjc 3.6 and the speedmaster 3.2.
post #11 of 12 Old 11-10-2014, 9:08 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

ive rode on chilly mornings with it n upper 30's lower 40's. i havent had any fog issues. ill say that ive found on any helmet if you do a lot of heavy mouth breathing your gonna get some fog. lol but the helmet has a removable breath deflector that works well and the way the visor locks when its down makes a very good seal around the perimeter. it kinda has a cam in it so it doesnt just rotate down like the airmada, it rotates down n at the last bit kinda pulls back towards the helmet. i dont really know how else to describe it. lol

like i said tho my last helmet was an airmada n the cf is a nice weight loss. i went from an xl icon n bought a L. it fits a lot better. i can tell you if your measurements say medium n yours is a Xl thats a big part of your fatigue problems. hjc makes the joe rocket in their factory so id imagine they have similar fit. i would advise doing like you said n going to try on a few at the dealer you mentioned. try a couple mediums on n let the salesperson know that your trying to get an accurate fit. a good fit should be tight on your face. youll be surprised how much better first a cf helmet feels in terms of weight but mostly i think youll be much happier with a correctly fitting lid. when they are too big the wind grabs them n pulls them around more than they should be able to it just wears your neck down fast.

i think we were in the same boat man, my last helmet was the same brand n model as yours n the same size. it was way too big. this new joe rocket fits right and i think that has made the biggest difference in my own fatigue level on long ides. the cf is very light tho n of course that helps. ive been on a few long rides with this joe rocket and they were all spirited rides o say the least. ive found when your hitting tripple digit speeds is when a good tight fitting helmet matters most, other than wrecking of course, n my old airmada being too big would suck back on my head far enough for my chin to touch the inside front of the helmet @150ish. anything over 70mph n i felt like i was fighting for my head to stay forward with my neck muscles n just wore me out quick. ive eliminated that pretty much all the way around.

i think the joe rocket is a nice helmet for the money. i was looking at the hjc which was 100$ more in cf but a friend on another forum bought one online n it had defects in the cf weave pattern. he returned it n got the joe rocket instead which was perfect. the joe rocket was really the only decent carbon fiber helmet in my price range n i was having the same kinda fatigue you mentioned n after wrecking with my airmada needed a replacement n went with the joe rocket. i am very happy with it. i would recommend it personally n say i dont think youll be disappointed if you go that route. it looks awesome too. im not saying its the best helmet you can get. arai certainly is a nice lid. if i coulda found an arai for 400$ in cf i would have considered that for sure but i couldnt. the joe rocket passed all the same tests to get its dot certification that the arai or any other helmet does so i think itll go a long way in protecting your noggin.

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson
post #12 of 12 Old 11-10-2014, 8:04 PM Thread Starter

Awesome man just made me like it even more. I went and tried on the hjc rpha 10 and I really like it. I like the pin lock option, and it weighs real light. we pulled out a scale and weighed a airframe and it came out to be 3.8lbs vs the hjc was 3.3. I could barely get a large on. my head is crazy and the xl still feels the best. I will be installing the smh 10r bluetooth system in the helmet so thats one thing thats a must for me. the large to me just seemed to tight buy maybe it will lighten up some after break in I am not sure. So now I am stuck between the 2 along with what color to get if I go with the hjc rather gloss black or matte. I am leaning towards gloss black even though my bike is matte black.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > Riding Gear / Luggage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page