Scorpion Clutch gloves... - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Riding Gear / Luggage Discussion of Helmets, Boots, Gloves, Leathers, Jackets, Pants, Back Protectors, Earplugs, Tank Bags, Tail Bags, Saddlebags, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 03-07-2017, 4:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Scorpion Clutch gloves...

Hi, I know it has been a while. I have been dealing with a 117 yr old house foundation issues. Basement flooding, desperately needing sump pump and drain trench etc. I mean how else can you waterproof limestone walls, right? All you can do, at least what I have been told, was manage the water (divert it) hence the waterguard (trench tubing) on the inside of the basement concrete floor to a triple sump pump system (main pump, backup pump and battery backup pump). I know, overkill, but it is guaranteed for life of the house, as long as I get it serviced annually.

Anyways, that is why I have been away for a while. I've had bigger fish to fry, so to speak.

So, I am looking for a good protective pair of riding gloves and have fallen on the Scorpion Clutch gloves, because they have all the technology at a very reasonable price, especially after price matching...(I can get them for under $200), not bad for gloves that retail for $250 and compete with the top dogs in the $300 - $400 level to begin with. Scorpion is known for such value. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the competators have their gear made by them.

I am ONLY going to be doing canyon riding on my 2006 CBR1000RR. I may do a track day some day, but that probably won't be until the distant future at the rate this old house is costing me.

So, to my question(s), does anyone have or had experience with the Scorpion Clutch gloves? What is your take on them? Are they worth it? Will they last?

It is either the Scorpion Clutch gloves or the Scorpion SG3 Mk II gloves, but I am looking at the Alpine* GP Pro gloves, but there are plenty of knock-offs out there that make me leary, not to mention the GP Pro's are now being replaced by the GP Pro R2 gloves. Then there are the RS Taichi GP-EVO gloves, but they are $250+ at the moment.

So, trying to find decent gloves for protection without breaking the bank at this moment since I have had major work done to my old house (basement) and still have some other work that needs to be done sooner than later when the weather breaks.

Just was wondering.

Thanks for your time.

Ride Hard! Or what's the point?

OhioBob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-07-2017, 5:01 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 25

Re: Scorpion Clutch gloves...

No experience with those gloves. Barring one set of gloves, all of the ones that I've had were from Held. They have gloves for different riding, weather and budget.

My view on gear, you only have two hands, two feet, one head, etc. Proper gear is far cheaper than the medical bills.

To each their own though.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-07-2017, 6:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the response. I am like the character in Wild Hogs, I don't need my legs, but I do my hands as I am an IT guy. So, that is why I am looking for all the right technology in my next gloves (palm sliders, kangaroo leather, TPU, super fabric panels, finger bridge if possible, but at least extra protection panels along the pinky side, wrist TPU, Kevlar lining, Kevlar stitching, etc.)

If the gloves have all of this and don't cost an arm and a leg (pun intended) then all the more toppings, right? Who says the big names are better than another brand, especially if they incorporate the same if not more technologies?

So, that is why I am looking at the Scorpion Clutch, but was wondering if anyone had experience with them.

Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 03-07-2017, 8:09 PM
Global Moderator

For the money, I wouldn't buy them. Not all leather is the same and not all things are made the same. The Scorpion Clutch looks like they put form over function. If you look at their site, the glove has been discontinued. They use a lot of plastic on the glove in protection areas. They also like the super fabric whereas my Held gloves, they prefer stingray for the abrasion areas even for the pinky where Scorpion prefers plastic. For the money, I'll stick with the company that has made gloves for over 50 years and are copied by others.

Don't be fooled by the big names either. How much do they spend sponsoring riders to get people to buy the gloves compared to other manufacturers that let their products speak for themselves and are willing to have less sales.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-08-2017, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

OK. I am listening. What Held should I consider for my purposes/usage? I know that the Held Titan Evo is out of the question at $400!!!

What other ones that Held offer for a price range of (no more) than $250?
post #6 of 6 Old 03-08-2017, 11:53 AM
Global Moderator

How Held typically works. The new model is expensive, but all that cost is from R&D and material cost, which is far different than the big names that have a huge marketing and sponsor ship budget to pay for. So the current top model at Held will eventually fall down the scale and price when the next top model comes out. Sometimes the name or part number changes other times it is just discontinued. I have around 6 pairs of Held gloves and never had an issue with fitment or any form of failure. They have been used in the rain as well. I have the Titans the Phantoms and a few others only known by a number. I think the very first pair of gloves I bought that were Helds was around 20 years ago are still sold by them today and I still use them.

I would do research on your own to see what would work for you, but the Steve gloves are a good choice. Not all of the fancy high tech stuff in it, but are well made.

The Score II's while don't have roo leather, have a lot of protection as well.

For around $250, you could probably find one of the earlier Titan models or the Phantom. On the Phantom line the only complaint I had with them, the wrist strap was too long. I had to make a slight alteration to it for it to be properly secured. If you have larger wrists it wouldn't be an issue. I just folded the band over and had it stitched. That was the only pair of Held gloves I ever had to alter and the rest have fitted perfectly.

So, my suggestions in order:
An earlier Titan model
A Phantom model
Score II's
Steve

Like I previously mentioned, do some research as each glove has something another model doesn't. Some are better for hot climates than others as well. Some have Gore-Tex in them, some do not.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > Riding Gear / Luggage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page