More on Shoeis - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Riding Gear / Luggage Discussion of Helmets, Boots, Gloves, Leathers, Jackets, Pants, Back Protectors, Earplugs, Tank Bags, Tail Bags, Saddlebags, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 02-01-2005, 5:36 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

More on Shoeis

Sorry to start a new thread but i wanted to make sure you saw it.

Whats the difference between the Z-II and the RF1000?

I know you get what you pay for...so why is the Z-II more expensive?

which one is lighter? more comfortable at speed? better ventilation?

It's down to either the Z-II RYU (grey) or the RF1000 diabolic 2 (or badge)

Once again thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 02-01-2005, 10:34 AM

Re: More on Shoeis

I'd call the guys at Helmet Harbor and inquire. They are well versed in the different models they sell and should be able to give you some solid information. Good pricing, quick shipping, and strong after-sale customer support to boot.

http://www.helmetharbor.com/
post #3 of 15 Old 02-01-2005, 12:46 PM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain
I'd call the guys at Helmet Harbor and inquire. They are well versed in the different models they sell and should be able to give you some solid information. Good pricing, quick shipping, and strong after-sale customer support to boot.

http://www.helmetharbor.com/
Then post the answer

Must obey the sheep dog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 02-02-2005, 3:04 AM Thread Starter

e-mail sent......probably post the reply tomorrow or the next day...
post #5 of 15 Old 02-02-2005, 9:17 AM

Reputation Power: 23

I cannot give a report on both, as I do not own both. I daresay, not many on this forum own or have tried both, so you may be at the mercy of the tabloid research connection if you want direct comparisons.

I have a ZII and an Arai Signet. For my shaped noggin, I find they both fit very well, and I recommend both. However, YOUR head and mileage may vary. The first priority is to find a lid that fits your head shape. If you don't have a well stocked local dealership(s) now is the time to visit the annual motorcycle show coming to your area and try on everything the vendors have in stock!

The ZII has become my primary helmet, but not by much over my Arai. It is lighter, the shell is more form fitting and ventilation is good. The Arai is heavier by a couple of perceived ounces, not anything to complain about. Ventilation in both is good. Noise is not an issue for me as I always wear earplugs. Peripheral vision is better with the Arai due to a larger eye port, but not of any significance.

As I write this, I have become aware of the only reason I prefer one over the other, and that is the graphics. They are both excellent, but I like my ZII Slash just a bit better stylewise!

However, when it comes down to actual use, I alternate every other ride with the helmets, so I guess I like them equally both.

My advise is try the ones on that you are considering and walk around the store for half an hour wearing the lid. If you are happy, then buy it. Support your local dealer the first time. After that, you know what model and size works for you, and you have other options to consider.

Official Racer Dude Guy, according to a neighborhood 6 year old.
post #6 of 15 Old 02-02-2005, 9:31 PM Thread Starter

This guy is awesome.....has me sold...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Mitness
Jesse,

Excellent questions.

The Z-II was the first model that Shoei created with the 3-D liner system. At the time, Shoeiís top of the line helmet was the XSPII, which honestly wasnít a very good helmet. The XSPII had a ton of cool features, but didnít fit a wide range of head shapes. The Z-II was introduced mainly to test the market, and since, they have decided to keep it around. Itís smooth top, and middle of the road venting, has grown a base in the cruiser market. Many of the riders on cruiser motorcycles donít care for the more ďracerĒ looking venting systems on the other models.

After the X-11 came out, Shoei knew they had a winner. They took the innovations from the XSPII, but made the helmet from the inside out. They focused on fit, and designed the shell from the inside out. Because of this move, they have designed the best helmet on the market, period. When they saw the X-11ís success, Shoei was smart. They completely redesigned the RF-1000 around the X-11. Of course because of price point, they couldnít copy all the X-11ís features, but they were able to incorporate a lot of the design features. The result was a completely new helmet, which is also affordable.

The main difference between the Z-II and the RF-1000 is the liner. The Z-II has a fully removable liner, while the RF-1000 has only removable cheek pads. Honestly, this isnít a huge deal. Because of the RF-1000 shape and the improved venting, in our opinion, the RF-1000 is a better helmet. If youíre torn between the two, I would suggest saving your money, and buying the RF-1000. The helmet typically fits great, the venting is more effective, and it uses the latest visor system (larger eye port, which is used by the X-11). The Z-II uses the old visor system, shared by the old RF900 and TZ-1.

Wow, long answer to a short question, but I hope I covered everything. Unless youíre sold on the Z-IIís looks, my money would be on either the Rf-1000, or the new TZ-R.

Todd Mittness (Owner)

The Helmet Harbor

425 W. Guadalupe Rd. #108

Gilbert, AZ 85233

(480) 635-1005

post #7 of 15 Old 02-03-2005, 12:01 AM

Reputation Power: 18

Z-2, RFs and X series fit differently. The X being more different to the other 2. They are made onto different headforms. Whatever fits you best that you like.

CBR Bob
TeamPromotion Coach#29TPM
Rider Ed. of N.J. Inc. Senior RiderCoachRENJ
post #8 of 15 Old 02-03-2005, 12:48 AM

Reputation Power: 39

Send a message via AIM to CBR929RE

and to test the ventillation run around the store with it on as fast as you can. Just don't knock over any bikes. you might get some laughs while you're at it. and when the salesman asks what you're doing say you're involved in testing and to leave you alone until your research is done.

if you can't convince them, confuse them.
post #9 of 15 Old 02-06-2005, 1:46 AM Thread Starter

arright.....Helmet has been ordered....Diabolic 2....gets here in four days...
post #10 of 15 Old 02-06-2005, 10:52 AM

Reputation Power: 23

gotta link x-ray?

Official Racer Dude Guy, according to a neighborhood 6 year old.
post #11 of 15 Old 02-07-2005, 1:40 AM Thread Starter

www.helmetharbor.com

that link?
post #12 of 15 Old 02-16-2005, 9:57 PM

I have an RF-1000 duhamel rep and love it.. the venting is great and the fit is very comfortable... I see you already decided and I think you made a great choice.... enjoy it. it's a great helmet and unfortunately I have already tested it's ability to protect my head in a crash and it did the job well.. Another one is already on the way to go along with another new 1000rr in a couple weeks.
post #13 of 15 Old 02-16-2005, 11:47 PM

That's a great reply. Checked out their site - nice, to the point, and stuffed full of goodies... that sound I just heard was my wallet running for cover
post #14 of 15 Old 02-17-2005, 3:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR929RE
and to test the ventillation run around the store with it on as fast as you can. Just don't knock over any bikes. you might get some laughs while you're at it. and when the salesman asks what you're doing say you're involved in testing and to leave you alone until your research is done.
post #15 of 15 Old 03-05-2005, 12:55 AM

Reputation Power: 18

I've had my RF-200 for a long time (probably over 10 years). It's been a good helmet - but was showing it's age so I decided to invest in a new brain-cage. My new X-11 just got here today. WOW! Now that I've got the X-11 - I realize how over-due I was for a new helmet. It's lighter, much better ventilated, and more comfortable. Besides, the Vermeulen TC-3 looks a lot better than my old plain-white RF-200. I'm glad I did it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > Riding Gear / Luggage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page