Arai helmets on the web, CHEAP! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Riding Gear / Luggage Discussion of Helmets, Boots, Gloves, Leathers, Jackets, Pants, Back Protectors, Earplugs, Tank Bags, Tail Bags, Saddlebags, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 Old 05-07-2005, 4:36 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 26

Arai helmets on the web, CHEAP!

Is this site legit!!??
Check out their helmets.

I do all my own stunts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 05-07-2005, 5:16 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Re: Arai helmets on the web, CHEAP!

that seems way too cheap
post #3 of 33 Old 05-07-2005, 11:13 PM

Reputation Power: 25

Hmm, site not available. What were they "selling"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old 05-07-2005, 11:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

These guys are a legit company. They are a few local brothers that are big into the snowmobile scene here. They are also dirt riders. It is possible they bought a bunch of the Hayden replicas from some warehouse and are selling them through their site.
It would take me all of fifteen minutes to drive by their place and check them out.
I just may do that on Monday.
post #5 of 33 Old 05-07-2005, 11:42 PM

There are several guys on Thumpertalk.com who have reported good things about Moto Frugals, FWIW.
post #6 of 33 Old 05-08-2005, 2:57 AM

I thought Arai had something against their helmets being sold on the web?
post #7 of 33 Old 05-08-2005, 3:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northy

Urban Legend
post #8 of 33 Old 05-08-2005, 8:07 AM

Reputation Power: 31

Arai did stop internet sales of their helmets, as far as I know. Like BDA said, these guys may have just bought a lot of Hayden reps (seems to be the only one they have) and are selling them off. I would just want to know how old they are prior to purchasing. Although I think the Hayden reps (some of them) are fairly new, these helmets could already be a few years old.
post #9 of 33 Old 05-08-2005, 8:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGalToo
Although I think the Hayden reps (some of them) are fairly new, these helmets could already be a few years old.
They are Corsair models, so they can't be any more than 2 years old?
post #10 of 33 Old 05-08-2005, 9:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_rua
They are Corsair models, so they can't be any more than 2 years old?
Yup, probably the case. Still, when I buy a new helmet, I don't want it to be any more than 6 months old. That's just me. Still, if you figure how much per year the helmet is costing you (I replace mine every 5 years), a two year old helmet for that price is just an ok deal, nothing spectacular. Still comes out to about $120-$140 per year.
post #11 of 33 Old 05-09-2005, 12:43 AM

Reputation Power: 25

Ok, now the web site came up for me. I just bought an RX7 Corsair Hayden replica from an ebay dealer for a similar price. It arrived last week. It's new, perfect, fits great. This model appears in Arai's 2005 model lineup .PDF. I'm not concerned that it may have sat on a shelf for a while before it was sold. I can hardly see it being worse for sitting there in a box. It's still a top quality helmet, built with state of the art materials. The very same helmet would cost more than twice as much if purchased from a dealership. Not that I would ever pay $700 for a helmet, when there are excellent ones for under $200.
post #12 of 33 Old 05-09-2005, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northy
This is the only problem I have with Arai. Great helmets, idiotic sales policy on their behalf.

1. Getting custom fitted by a dealer is a joke, you pick out your helmet and they take your cash. I can change my own cheek pads thank you.

2. I've found that typical dealerships around here know less about these things than I do and that's pretty sad. Had a face shield problem that two dealers (was stopping in there anyway..) had no idea how to deal with. One phone call to Arai and the problem was fixed by me w/ the help of a very nice lady at Arai.

3. You can still buy them on the web all day long.

Seems to me this new "strategy" is in place to protect the dealer more than the customer. If Arai is concerned more about their dealers then they are their loyal customers I may not be a customer for very much longer.
post #13 of 33 Old 05-09-2005, 1:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy
Ok, now the web site came up for me. I just bought an RX7 Corsair Hayden replica from an ebay dealer for a similar price. It arrived last week. It's new, perfect, fits great. This model appears in Arai's 2005 model lineup .PDF. I'm not concerned that it may have sat on a shelf for a while before it was sold. I can hardly see it being worse for sitting there in a box. It's still a top quality helmet, built with state of the art materials. The very same helmet would cost more than twice as much if purchased from a dealership. Not that I would ever pay $700 for a helmet, when there are excellent ones for under $200.

I think what HondaGal was trying to point out is that most tracks will not let you use a helmet that is more than 5 years old. If you ride the track getting a 2 year old helmet (even if it's brand new) means that you'll only be able to use it for 3 more years (I think?). If you look at it from this perspective then it's not as good of a bargain.

This brings up another question about the 5 year rule on helmets in general and tracks. Does the 5 year thing start from date of manufacture or date of purchase? If it starts from date of purchase then I guess it really doesn't matter how long the helmet sat on a shelf for??

Last edited by Scratch; 05-09-2005 at 1:08 AM.
post #14 of 33 Old 05-09-2005, 6:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch
I think what HondaGal was trying to point out is that most tracks will not let you use a helmet that is more than 5 years old. If you ride the track getting a 2 year old helmet (even if it's brand new) means that you'll only be able to use it for 3 more years (I think?). If you look at it from this perspective then it's not as good of a bargain.

This brings up another question about the 5 year rule on helmets in general and tracks. Does the 5 year thing start from date of manufacture or date of purchase? If it starts from date of purchase then I guess it really doesn't matter how long the helmet sat on a shelf for??
Yup, that's what I was pointing out. And, the 5 year countdown for track use starts with the date of manufacture, not the date you purchased it. Even if it's new sitting on a shelf somewhere, the styrofoam inside starts to dry out.
post #15 of 33 Old 05-09-2005, 8:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout
Urban Legend
Not so legendary.

I like how the mediums and larges are $10 more expensive in the fine print.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > Riding Gear / Luggage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page