Fitting a Ventura rack to a 954 - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Riding Gear / Luggage Discussion of Helmets, Boots, Gloves, Leathers, Jackets, Pants, Back Protectors, Earplugs, Tank Bags, Tail Bags, Saddlebags, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 05-08-2005, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
ndj

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 16

Fitting a Ventura rack to a 954

I'm looking at purchasing a ventura luggage system for a long tour. It seems like a very effective luggage system and looks quite unobtrusive on the 954 judging by pictures I've seen.

http://www.ventura-bike.com/library/...es/ho030-2.jpg

I do wonder though, how exactly it fits to the bike's frame? It seems to attach to the passenger pegs but I can't see where it attaches at the rear of the bike - the bodywork is fairly seamless with no attachment points other than the indicators. I'd hate to have to cut any holes or slots in the bodywork in order to fit the rack (which I intend to remove immediately after the tour).

Can anyone shed some light on how this rack is fitted to a 954, how hard it is to fit and what he/she thinks of the ventura system generally?

Thanks.

Last edited by ndj; 05-08-2005 at 11:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-08-2005, 11:40 PM

Re: Fitting a Ventura rack to a 954

I have one ndj. The supplier fitted it. The initial fitting is fairly fiddly and involves fitting a 2 part bracket inside and outside the tail section to which the indicators are relocated and the rack bolted.

Overall it is an excellent luggage system and allows you to sit the weight on the pillion seat if you are riding solo. I use mine on a daily basis to carry laptop and work clothes etc. If you take the bike to the track you can remove the rack in a matter of minutes, leaving the above mentioned bracket in place, or you can fit a grab handle in place of the rack topframe which makes it track legal.

The bag I use is the 45l aero pack which fits enough luggage in for a few days away touring along with a tent, stretcher and sleeping bag held on the rack with Andy Strapz. The bag isn't waterproof though so you need to line it with a bin liner or buy the optional waterproof cover if you want to use it in the rain.

my bike
I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandpa
not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.
post #3 of 14 Old 05-08-2005, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
ndj

Ah yes, looking at ventura's pics again I can see the relocated indicators.

http://www.ventura-bike.com/library/...es/ho030-3.jpg

Thanks RPinOz.

Why do I get the impression that fitting on of these racks is not a job that should be left for the evening before departing for a trip?
(I removed the tail section once before to remove/modify the ugly mudguard - what a job!)

Does anyone know of any other luggage systems that would be a usuable alternative to the ventura? I once recall coming across a hard-shell-type pillion seat bag that was even colour-matched to specific bikes. Anyone got a link?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 05-08-2005, 11:58 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Givi makes a rack for the 954, allowing you to use one of their topcases.

2OHOH had one on his 954. Here are pics of it from a trip we did together:
https://www.fireblades.org/gallery/br...ages.php?c=659
post #5 of 14 Old 05-09-2005, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndj
Why do I get the impression that fitting on of these racks is not a job that should be left for the evening before departing for a trip?
(I removed the tail section once before to remove/modify the ugly mudguard - what a job!)
Well it'll be easier next time
The guys at the shop reckoned it took about 1.5 - 2 hours.
What I like about this system is that once fitted you can remove it, apart from the mounting bracket which isn't that visible, very quickly. And the fact that when riding solo the weight can be place a lot closer to the CoG than hard shell systems like 2OHOH2 had in Conq's pics. Also the Ventura can hold a lot. But perhaps it doesn't look as sharp as the Givi.

my bike
post #6 of 14 Old 05-09-2005, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
ndj

I just found the hard shell tail bags - have a look at this:
http://www.kazumamotorcycles.com.au/FastBag.htm
post #7 of 14 Old 05-09-2005, 1:30 AM

Those things look pretty ugly until you extend them when the look
(IMHO of course )

my bike
post #8 of 14 Old 05-09-2005, 8:07 AM

ndj, I have a Ventura rack for my 954 and I installed it myself. The internal bracket attaches under the rear cowl on the two bolts that are near the tail light and which are screwed into each side of the subframe. The only modification you'll need to do is to drill 2 holes in the underside of the tail so the bracket pieces can stick through. <-- Piece of cake. They are barely noticeable when standing at the back of the bike. I think they are 1/2 holes so they're not big.

This setup can be done in about 1.5 to 2hrs and that's a very conservative time frame.

If I can help, lemme know. You can install it yourself, it's not hard at all. It's a great system. And, it's easy to take off so the bike looks sleek like it's supposed to.

Go ahead, chill a few beers and do it yourself, you won't believe how easy it is.
post #9 of 14 Old 05-09-2005, 9:33 AM

Did no-one else find that after relocating the indicators, the wire on one of them was too short to reach back to the loom? I had to get the soldering iron out and extend the wires, by which time it had definitely taken me more than 2 hours
At least I now have my indicator connectors under the pillion seat so I can remove them without having to pull the whole tail section off.

(edit: )
Still well worth the effort though as it's a great luggage system. Versatile, carries loads of stuff and doesn't look too out of place on a sports bike. I'm sorry 2OHOH, but a top-box on a Fireblade is just not right

Last edited by AndyL; 05-09-2005 at 9:41 AM.
post #10 of 14 Old 05-10-2005, 12:26 AM

Reputation Power: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyL
Did no-one else find that after relocating the indicators, the wire on one of them was too short to reach back to the loom? I had to get the soldering iron out and extend the wires, by which time it had definitely taken me more than 2 hours
At least I now have my indicator connectors under the pillion seat so I can remove them without having to pull the whole tail section off.

(edit: )
Still well worth the effort though as it's a great luggage system. Versatile, carries loads of stuff and doesn't look too out of place on a sports bike. I'm sorry 2OHOH, but a top-box on a Fireblade is just not right
My friend did not relocate the stock indicators on his 954. Yes they are bent down slightly but it works if you don't want to mess with them.
post #11 of 14 Old 05-10-2005, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatnAsphalt
My friend did not relocate the stock indicators on his 954. Yes they are bent down slightly but it works if you don't want to mess with them.
If you like that hangdog look

my bike
post #12 of 14 Old 05-10-2005, 9:48 AM

ndj: I just found I have a PDF copy of the Ventura fitting instructions for the 954 - pm me your email address if you'd like me to send it to you.
post #13 of 14 Old 05-10-2005, 5:24 PM

I have one for my 954. It is frustrating at 1st but I am mechanically declined. Once I got the hang of it it is piece of cake. Personally I think it is the best luggage system available for most sportbikes. The main reason is nothing is hanging over the sides in the way and the Ventura is aerodynamic and behind you. I have used this system for 2 bikes and other bikers I have encountered say the same thing. All thumbs up.

Sam
post #14 of 14 Old 05-11-2005, 4:01 PM

I installed the ventura system about 1 month ago on my 954. I did it the morning I was leaving on a ride, nothing like waiting until the last minute. Read the instructions very carefully a few times and you should do fine putting them on yourself. I ran into a few things that the directions did not cover.
1. The wires are too short and the plugs are hard to get to for the turn signals. When I hooked them back up I had to take a short cut with the stock wire routing. It works fine but you can see a short section of the wire under the passenger seat. Some day I may make a extension. I let Ventura know about this problem and the US distributor made it sound like they may include these extensions in future kits.
2. You need to remove the rear side reflectors at least on the US models.

Hope this helps.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > Riding Gear / Luggage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page