Garmin 7 series and 27X0 series / Navtraffic / any owners yet?? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Riding Gear / Luggage Discussion of Helmets, Boots, Gloves, Leathers, Jackets, Pants, Back Protectors, Earplugs, Tank Bags, Tail Bags, Saddlebags, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 11-18-2005, 1:42 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 34

Garmin 7 series and 27X0 series / Navtraffic / any owners yet??

http://www.garmin.com/products/sp7500/index.jsp

Pretty cool...not sure why they had to go that entertainment route - sheet I just want my navi receiver to maybe have some wireless functionality for loading maps and stuff - don't really need to play mp3's but that screen and Garmin quality....Im down with that

why put off today what you can wake up late and forget to do tomorrow.

GPS Discussion Forums - Don't ask, know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-20-2005, 12:55 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Re: Garmin 7200 and 7500

Geez, no one has one of these yet? Any 2730 owners?

post #3 of 5 Old 02-20-2006, 3:42 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Re: Garmin 7 series and 27X0 series / Navtraffic / any owners yet??

anyone here using a 2730 and/or NavTraffic services from XM???

Words fail me, but as I was toying with the 2610 the other night I was cursing that I couldn't get the weather on it. Didn't realize the 2730 has weather along with the NavTraffic package...hmmm.

I was considering the 2720 as well...cause you can get them refurb'd and bit less coin right now (875$ for 2730 650$ for 2720) but the 'traffic' (non weather) capabilities via 2720 still require a 150$ antenna - which the 2730 includes. Hmmh.

The humor here is that I actually DON'T drive for my job anymore, but somehow I end up tinkering with the GPS far more then when I actually used it...and I'm craving that smoother UI and the wx/traffic stuff would be cool

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 02-20-2006, 4:25 AM

Reputation Power: 0

The Garmin/XM aviation stuff is mondo awesome, so it doesn't suprise me that their on-road products are good too... I ended up buying a Lowrance yoke-mount portable GPS a few years ago, but that was more of a budget issue that anything.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-01-2006, 11:37 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Member

Despite many bashing reviews I read, I gave the 2720 a shot and it's won me over. The biggest gripes I read about it seemed to be what could be interpreted (from reading reviews only) as RTFM failures - which it seems they were. The device did have some bogus issues in the earlier sw rev's it sounds like but with 4.50 released and the new talking chick (Jill 1.1) it's pretty nice.

I've only got about 700 miles on it so far since I just got it last weekend. IMHO for whatever the price difference is these days (150$ - if speaking of refurb units) it's well worth it.

Biggest notable changes off the top of my head:

-Different resolution screen and what I believe is an entirely difft' screen technology as this one seems crisper and more vibrant all the time without being harsh in low light conditions.
-Spoken Streetnames (Text to Speak) now for directions - instead of 'turn right 400 yards' its 'turn right on maple street' . Nice for when your in an urban location and not wanting to stare at the screen.
-3D navigation - you can do top view mapping on 2d maps, or run a 3d model. I thought the 3d model was cheese having seen it on a C320 last year, but the 2720 seems to have a bit more speed to it and way better viewpoint or view area..cant quite figure it out but I like it.
-Hard Drive - no more flash card (its a xx20) so it gets the 2gb hard drive ( believe its 2gb ). Maps aren't preloaded on it (or they weren't on my refurb) but you can load the whole country on there with room to spare.
-New UI - some say its more clunky, but button press to button press comparison - its less clicking and way better sensitivity then the 2610 screen IMHO. It's intuitive, you just have to relearn your intuition
-Faster overall - some route processing takes a bit longer, but interface speed and useability honks. I had a 1gb high speed CF on my 2610 and it still didnt move this fast.
-Has a screen cover, standard. You'll be delighted to know its rubber backed and appears to be watertight too. Has rubber plugs on the back for the usb and antennae connects too.

There are lots of small things that annoyed me on the 2610 that have been taken care of in this model, ie: when I wanted to select something in another place not near my route or present location - I had to find it on a map only. The 27 doesen't care - same options for everything all the time anytime, filters, near to, whatever - its all in there. Another was that when entering a route location the 2610 would autotext 'suggest' what you were typing as you typed it, street, town, whatever - but it would let you type the whole word if you didn't see its 'suggestion' on the entry line. The 2720 lets you get to a certain point and when you have typed in something that is the only 'possible' option, it completes it and makes an audible tone so you know. It also doesen't do the 'letter hiding' thing that the 2610 did when you were entering something, that just bugged me sometimes.

Yes this means I'll probably have a 2610 for sale soon I think.

Couldn't justify spending the extra $$ on traffic/wx for the 2730 not to mention the PITA subscription hassle with XM (you have to get xm with the wx/traffic addon - even if you have an existing XM, it must be registered to same ID unit according to them...and I didn't want to register my 2730 as my sole XM receiver).

Last edited by SomeStrangeGuy; 03-01-2006 at 11:49 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > Riding Gear / Luggage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page