Tomtom - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Riding Gear / Luggage Discussion of Helmets, Boots, Gloves, Leathers, Jackets, Pants, Back Protectors, Earplugs, Tank Bags, Tail Bags, Saddlebags, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 12-14-2005, 2:24 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Tomtom

It's a gps company, that seems to make a knockoff of the Garmin product, looks relative to the streetpilot I3 or I5.

The questions are as follows.
1. has anyone used the tom toms?
2. i know someone did post something about the street pilots, but in doing a search, all I got was the garmin 2730's or whathaveyou. Any advice/prefrence of 1 over the other would be great. I don't want the 27, I want the streetpilot I3, the I5, or the Tom Tom equivalent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-14-2005, 2:55 AM
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 34

Re: Tomtom

for use on a bike? The I's and the tomtom are not waterproof I do not believe...

why put off today what you can wake up late and forget to do tomorrow.

GPS Discussion Forums - Don't ask, know
post #3 of 12 Old 12-14-2005, 2:56 AM
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 34

And depending what your budget will allow for, a 2610 can be had for about 400$ and is a much better value for the money IMHO.

I have the 2610 and have not regretted it yet, its very solid. The TomTom just seems like its trying to be too much of an integrator with gps on the side so to speak, JMHO though

why put off today what you can wake up late and forget to do tomorrow.

GPS Discussion Forums - Don't ask, know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 12-14-2005, 3:19 AM Thread Starter

Outstanding. I'm not NOT open to new ideas, I just didn't want this to turn into a "hey, this one is better bla bla bla" without reasons. Ok. So, the tom is just lot's of fluff. Good to know. I didn't know the I's were not waterproof. I don't know how big of a deal that's gonna be for me, being that I don't plan on using it in the rain, but luck favors the prepared.
post #5 of 12 Old 12-14-2005, 3:33 AM

My brother is getting the I5 for christmas so I got to play with it the other day when it came in. My impression is it is for car use only, and dumbed down to make it easy for anyone to use. With only 3 buttons ( I think) it would probaly take more time to scroll through stuff than the others that have 5 buttons or so. But it comes preloaded with everything so you do not need to buy or download other maps. Its not waterproof either. and its funky, blocky shape would not fit on a bike well. Do you want portability to take hiking? Do you want ability to run off regular batteries and not built-in Li Ion's? Color or black and white screen? Excelent Garmins for cars are often big on a bike, not portable, expensive memory cards, etc so you need to decide what your main use will be. If you portability and bike use, the 60c, 60cs, 76c or 76cs are probaly your best bet.
post #6 of 12 Old 12-14-2005, 3:47 AM Thread Starter

yeah, that's why i liked the I3, it was much smaller. the touchscreen is an option i don't really care about. (gloves and all make it difficult). The best price i can find on the 2610 is 519. that's not bad at all. I also don't care about downloading maps, I would just buy a big enough memory card to download a TON of maps.
post #7 of 12 Old 12-14-2005, 7:24 AM

Reputation Power: 42

Haven't actually used a Tom Tom...but I find it curious that they sell a motorcycle specific unit called the "Rider" that is listed as "water resistant"...

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
"There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one..." - Joey Dunlop
post #8 of 12 Old 12-14-2005, 7:37 AM

I'm assuming you're talking about the Go. I have the TomTom software for my PDA/Phone. I stick it in the map pocket of my tankbag on long rides. Having one device that does three essential things for me is nice.
post #9 of 12 Old 12-14-2005, 7:42 AM

Reputation Power: 42

This is a bit different, they have branched out from their PDA roots, and actually have a brick called the "Rider". Not sure if it is sold here in the States, or just in Euroland...

http://www.tomtom.com/products/produ...j15m75oo5din02

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
"There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one..." - Joey Dunlop
post #10 of 12 Old 12-14-2005, 8:09 AM

Reputation Power: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baketech
This is a bit different, they have branched out from their PDA roots, and actually have a brick called the "Rider". Not sure if it is sold here in the States, or just in Euroland...

http://www.tomtom.com/products/produ...j15m75oo5din02
That's pretty neat. Wireless bluetooth headset for voice controls/speaker. Their demo is funny.

Andy
post #11 of 12 Old 12-14-2005, 10:23 AM

I saw the "Rider" once earlier this year in Germany. The reason I bought the PDA software as opposed to the Go or Rider is that I wanted to combine as many devices as possible to keep portability. Already had the PDA/phone so the software (and BT GPS receiver) was the next logical step. Works like a charm.

One thing I don't like about TomTom, and I don't know if Garmin is different, is updates. If you don't update maps each year within the "update window", you have to pay the full cost of new map software.
post #12 of 12 Old 01-28-2007, 3:24 PM

If still relevant then I 100% recommend Tomtom units, as I rely on a Tomtom One every working day and it's proved 99% flawless (3 times in a year I used the Reset button, no biggy)
And the simple touchscreen has pretty big icons for use with gloves for route adjustments, roadblocks, detours etc. And if you lock in the address before you put the gloves on the route is remembered even if the unit is switched off & on.
I'm currently looking around for some kind of tank bag/waterproof setup for my CBR, cos the "Rider" is mental money IMHO ... why would I want 2 satnavs after all?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > Riding Gear / Luggage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page