Glove suggestions.... - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Riding Gear / Luggage Discussion of Helmets, Boots, Gloves, Leathers, Jackets, Pants, Back Protectors, Earplugs, Tank Bags, Tail Bags, Saddlebags, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 09-02-2003, 1:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 50

Re: Glove suggestions....

for a new pair of gloves. My Violator Pro's have worn out in the last ~2 years and it's time to replace them. I'd like to try something else. I'm happy with the overall quality of the glove, but I noticed that on longer rides(over 2 hours) the plastic knuckles start to hurt my knuckles. Is this something that all gloves do and I'm just gonna have to get used to, or is this glove specific?

I've been thinking about the Alpinestars GP Plus gloves, but is $180 really worth it? I don't want to get anything cheap, I want to protect my hands, but that seems kind of steep for a pair of gloves. If it's worth it, I'll pay for it, but not if a $100 pair of gloves offers the same protection.

Thanks for the input
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 09-02-2003, 1:16 PM

Reputation Power: 0

I think many of the race spec gloves out there are terribly overpriced.

You would do well to consider Tour Master 'Roadrace Comp Carbon' gloves, available for the paltry sum of $65.00 from site sponsor Kneedraggers. They offer great fit and comfort, no bleeding (they're fully lined), a modicum of venting, heavy double stitching with Kevlar thread, several carbon fiber contact panels for added protection, a nice long gauntlet, and the aforementioned tasty price. I've got a pair in black/black and would not be without them.

Personally, I think they're the best street glove value on the market right now, regardless of price and manufacturer.

Spend more if you want, but you don't have to.

http://www.kneedraggers.com/index.ph...no=33-TM-3&s=1

post #3 of 26 Old 09-02-2003, 1:24 PM

Reputation Power: 18

Held. I have two pair of Held. They're really comfy and you can feel good knowing you're wearing the best. My first pair is still in great shape even after more than five years.

Another great site to visit.

Throw off those chains of reason and your prison disappears...Peart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 09-02-2003, 1:27 PM

I read in roadracing world the alpinestars did well in crashes,of course every crash is different,your results may vary.I have the same complaint with carbon fiber knuckles.I recently bought some rs taichi gp max for my girl,these gloves are sick!I have also heard good things about held,cycle gear carries them now.I dont know too much about frank thomas(cycle gear again)but cycle gear tells me lifetime warranty(excluding crash damage),I am considering since I go through gloves every 1-1/2 years.It would be nice to just go in and exchange them when they wore out.
post #5 of 26 Old 09-02-2003, 1:44 PM

Reputation Power: 42

In a perfect world, I would own Held.....but they do not fit my deformed hands....
I do own one pair of Held Goretex for winter/rain riding. Great pair of gloves, built for a specific purpose. I had to get an oversize pair to fit my fingers....but since I wouldn't be riding them on the track or for sport, it seemed like an ok compromise.

I am currently riding my 2nd pair of A/S GP Plus, and they have been a fantastic. They are very comfortable and functional. Have not crash tested them though....

I have owned several pairs of Tour Master gloves in the past as well. They are quality made stuff that offers a lot of bang for the buck.
Haven't crash tested those gloves either....

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
"There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one..." - Joey Dunlop
post #6 of 26 Old 09-02-2003, 2:17 PM

Reputation Power: 19

your choice of A-star GP Plus is a good one. just shop for the best price, cuz, unless you know someone, they are $$$ and if you mail order go one size larger, or find someone who stocks them and size them that way.

Insignificant Member
post #7 of 26 Old 09-02-2003, 2:28 PM

Reputation Power: 42

Kneedraggers has decent pricing right now.....

GP Plus - $161 includes 2nd Day Shipping
GP Pro - $180 includes 2nd Day Shipping

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
"There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one..." - Joey Dunlop
post #8 of 26 Old 09-02-2003, 2:50 PM

Reputation Power: 20

Quote:
Chain : I think many of the race spec gloves out there are terribly overpriced.

You would do well to consider Tour Master 'Roadrace Comp Carbon' gloves, available for the paltry sum of $65.00 from site sponsor Kneedraggers. They offer great fit and comfort, no bleeding (they're fully lined), a modicum of venting, heavy double stitching with Kevlar thread, several carbon fiber contact panels for added protection, a nice long gauntlet, and the aforementioned tasty price. I've got a pair in black/black and would not be without them.

Personally, I think they're the best street glove value on the market right now, regardless of price and manufacturer.

Spend more if you want, but you don't have to.

http://www.kneedraggers.com/index.ph...no=33-TM-3&s=1
I have a set of them. They are a nice set of gloves for the price. I only crashed once in them and it was at a low speed but no damage.

Don't drive a hearse in the carpool lane.
F.D. 2844
post #9 of 26 Old 09-02-2003, 2:51 PM

Reputation Power: 31

I swear by the Helds. I have a pair of the Galaxys. Not cheap, but excellent protection! They have the hard carbon knuckes, too, but are completely comfortable. The Akira is also excellent, and a bit cheaper than the Galaxy.
post #10 of 26 Old 09-02-2003, 4:24 PM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 50

Well, looks like I have quite a few choices to pick from.
post #11 of 26 Old 09-02-2003, 7:51 PM

Reputation Power: 18

Send a message via MSN to moregrip

my spidi carbovent's are real nice and seem to offer alot of protection. no idea on cost though?
post #12 of 26 Old 09-03-2003, 9:13 AM

I crash tested my Held's. Boy, was I impressed! Not one seam split, the leather didn't tear on the palms where my hands dragged across the tarmac and into the dirt. And, the carbon fiber knuckle protector probably saved one of my knuckles from being crushed. The protector was smashed but no damage to the knuckle.

The extra cost of the glove was soooo worth it.

I looked at the Helimot site, they have a new decent glove of their own. Look at this one.. It may be what you're looking for.
post #13 of 26 Old 09-03-2003, 10:34 AM

Reputation Power: 31

Yeah, Helimot no longer carries Held gloves. *The new importer is Intersports Fashions West. *You can find them at Held USA
They still make sizes smaller than 8, but they need to be special ordered, unfortunately.

Helimot is designing their own line of gloves now, and based on their leathers, I'm sure they're excellent quality.

Edit: Helimot has some leftover stock of Held gloves on closeout, check them out, too.

post #14 of 26 Old 09-03-2003, 10:36 AM

Take a look at Deathrage. I bought a pair at Mid Ohio. Expect to spend about $100. They are really nice. Next best thing to bullet proof. My only complaint would be that there is a pad in the outside of the palm that presses into your palm pretty hard. I don't wear them on the street.
post #15 of 26 Old 09-03-2003, 11:03 AM
Oz

Reputation Power: 17

I have a pair of Held Galaxy gloves - I haven't crash tested them (knocks wood), but they're well-built and very comfortable, even on all-day trips to the twisties. Worth the money to me.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > Riding Gear / Luggage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page