EVS RC2 neck collar - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Riding Gear / Luggage Discussion of Helmets, Boots, Gloves, Leathers, Jackets, Pants, Back Protectors, Earplugs, Tank Bags, Tail Bags, Saddlebags, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 05-15-2006, 9:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

EVS RC2 neck collar

Anyone using one of these? http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...EVS_RC2-A-BK_G . I just ordered one today in hopes it will come in time for my race this weekend. Its more for protecting my collarbone that I recently broke in case I go down again....but after the recent unfortunate death of another racer in CMRA it seems to be a good idea to wear one.
So does anyone wear one or plan to?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 05-15-2006, 9:11 PM

Re: EVS RC2 neck collar

Let us know what you think.

I was looking pretty hard at those recently.

I notice lots of young kids in motocross are wearing them now. Back when I was in high school a friend was killed with a simple over the bars crash into sand that broke his neck...fear of that never completely left me.

post #3 of 23 Old 05-15-2006, 9:21 PM Thread Starter

Im kinda anxious to get it for a couple reasons. One is just a little more peace of mind. The second is an idea I saw last year. I saw a fellow take a small towel out of an ice chest and place it around his neck under his leathers before hitting the track in the endurance race. It was obviously an attempt to stay cool during his hour long stint on the bike. Im curious if this collar would have a significant cooling properties if placed in cold water prior to going on the track.
There is a discussion on the CMRAracing.com site about the collar. Kinda indirect as its in a thread about a racer missing the remainder of the season with a back injury. Some of the guys have them already and like them.
I value my mobility so Im gonna wear one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 05-15-2006, 10:39 PM

I think it will help support your neck in a bad crash, especialy rotating to the rear. But I doubt it will do much for your collarbones, is may act as somewhat of a cushion, but filling the gap between your helmet and collarbone is just going to put pressure on it sooner if you head is really thrust forward. The collarbones are so fragile (I've heard 7 pounds of pressure on a small area will do it, not sure about that) i doubt there is much you can do to save them in a bad crash. Luckaly the are expendable and not real structuraly important. Saving your spinal cord would outweigh any additional threat to your collarbones. I've worn them before in racing gocarts...they seeme really restrictive, I am not sure how usable they would be on a sportbike where you often have your head turned to full lock. I've done the same injury as you so I feel your pain

Last edited by G-Force Junkie; 12-28-2006 at 1:24 AM.
post #5 of 23 Old 05-15-2006, 10:49 PM

Reputation Power: 39

Send a message via AIM to CBR929RE

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Force Junkie
I've worn them before in racing gocarts...they seeme really restrictive, I am not sure how usable they would be on a sportbike where you often have your head turned to full lock. I've done the same injury as you so I feel your pain
same here on both counts.

maybe they aren't as thick (although they look to be very similar)

if you can't convince them, confuse them.
post #6 of 23 Old 05-15-2006, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I think it will help support your neck in a bad crash, especialy rotating to the rear. But I doubt it will do much for your collarbones, is may act as somewhat of a cushion, but filling the gap between your helmet and collarbone is just going to put pressure on it sooner if you head is really thrust forward. The collarbones are so fragile (I've heard 7 pounds of pressure on a small area will do it, not sure about that) i doubt there is much you can do to save them in a bad crash. Luckaly the are expendable and not real structuraly important. Saving your spinal cord would outweigh any additional threat to your collarbones. I've worn them before in racing gocarts...they seeme really restrictive, I am not sure how usable they would be on a sportbike where you often have your head turned to full lock. I've done the same injury as you so I feel your pain
Looks like you had a fall straight onto your shoulder like I did. Broke up instead of out. The collar is supposed to protect your neck as well as protect your collarbone from the helmet. Several expressed concern about whether it would be difficult looking up in a tuck behind the windscreen. The guys that wear them say it isnt a factor at all. One said the collar kinda irritated his neck but considering the potential injuries, well........
post #7 of 23 Old 05-16-2006, 12:04 AM

Quote:
...I've heard 7 pounds of pressure on a small area will do it, not sure about that...
That's what I was taught in my martial arts class a couple years ago. Aikido at that time, have since moved on. Had a doc confirm that a small amount of pressure (couldn't confirm exactly 7 pounds of pressure). The force has to be exerted in a particular direction for that small a force to break the bone though.
post #8 of 23 Old 05-16-2006, 2:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBR929RE
same here on both counts.

maybe they aren't as thick (although they look to be very similar)
They arent as thick as you would think. Ive seen a couple at the track already. I'll give y'all a review if it comes in before the weekend.
post #9 of 23 Old 05-16-2006, 4:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamus
That's what I was taught in my martial arts class a couple years ago. Aikido at that time, have since moved on. Had a doc confirm that a small amount of pressure (couldn't confirm exactly 7 pounds of pressure). The force has to be exerted in a particular direction for that small a force to break the bone though.
Yep, me three. 7 pounds, or less than an egg if you hit the ground with your arms extended up.

Broke mine when I was about 5 falling out of bed.

Now when I fall like that...I dislocate my shoulder rather than break the collarbone.

post #10 of 23 Old 05-16-2006, 8:52 AM

Just get hinges installed on both collarbones and then it won't make any difference.
post #11 of 23 Old 05-16-2006, 10:26 AM

Quote:
I've done the same injury
Looks a lot like the screws and plate in my left collar bone!
post #12 of 23 Old 05-16-2006, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel954
I have that same one, and wear it while riding my dirtbike. Any extra bit of safety is worth it, IMO.
post #13 of 23 Old 05-16-2006, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete
I have that same one, and wear it while riding my dirtbike. Any extra bit of safety is worth it, IMO.
Do you think it would work while riding on the track with your street bike or be too restrictive?
post #14 of 23 Old 05-16-2006, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRWANTR
Do you think it would work while riding on the track with your street bike or be too restrictive?
I know without a doubt that it would be too restrictive for me to use on a road course. YMMV
post #15 of 23 Old 05-16-2006, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete
I know without a doubt that it would be too restrictive for me to use on a road course. YMMV
Wear it on the next episode of American Hot Rod for us so we can get a good feel for it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > Riding Gear / Luggage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page