Limb Armor - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Riding Gear / Luggage Discussion of Helmets, Boots, Gloves, Leathers, Jackets, Pants, Back Protectors, Earplugs, Tank Bags, Tail Bags, Saddlebags, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 06-22-2006, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Limb Armor

I did a forum search, but didn't find much.

I'm looking for limb-armor replacements. My armor didn't work that great for my shoulder. It is toast, now, so I must replace it. I'm looking for the best I can get.
My other suit has better armor.

After hunting around I saw these Spidi products. They look good. Anyone know anything about them?

http://www.motonation.com/subcategory.asp?cid=39&rdir=1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-22-2006, 12:32 PM

Re: Limb Armor

If you have room under your suit, Dainese makes some fully armored upper bod protection stuff that is great.

They're about $300, but include everything, chest, shoulders, spine...

post #3 of 5 Old 06-22-2006, 12:53 PM

This stuff is the best in the business, period. Cambridge high-perofrmance approved, meaning it can pass generally less force at higher levels of impact energy than anything else out there, beyond standard CE approval:

Type-B Limbs

Hiprotec is similar, and much less expensive. It's only sold in the US in "comfort" thickness, 6mm, which still provides better force transmisison numbers than most and can take multiple hits effectively. It's dimpled black Astrosorb, the T-Pro variants are waffled for comfort, but can be had in various multilayer thicknesses. Check MotorcycleCloseouts.com for the Hiprotec.

One thing you need to check though is the size that will fit your jacket pocket. Many jackets use the smaller Type-A size, if it came with a CE-approved armor, thoght the Type-B is more apporpriate in most applications and garment sizes. So, if it was a tight fit with a Type-A size, then something Type-B size may not work, even if it is more desirable. I don;t know what size requirements the Spidi stuff meets. You may want to shoot an email to We carry motorcycle boots and accessories to find out. The T-Pro and Hiprotec are both Type-B sized, but can be cut if neccessary. Johnsons seem pretty knowledgable about the T-pro stuff and very willing to answer questions. Other things to look for are the multiple impact capabilities and thickness that will fit the jacket pockets properly. Use your old pieces as a guide for size. Often times if it's CE-approved the size it meets will be listed on the pieces.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 06-22-2006, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

I like the looks of the Dainese High Voltage. (See attached)
I wish it said whether it was CE certified. Dang Europeans LOVE flash in their sites instead of information.
It looks like it won't interfere with your helmet. But I worry about the bottom jamming into the seat and being uncomfortable.

The TPro stuff may work. It sure is expensive. But, since I still have some numbness in my left ring and little finger, it is cheaper than further problems.

Thanks for any and all input. I think we all need better armor, btw.
Attached Thumbnails
Protezione Hig-voltage-048890.jpg‎  
post #5 of 5 Old 06-23-2006, 4:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchslip
I like the looks of the Dainese High Voltage. (See attached)
I wish it said whether it was CE certified. Dang Europeans LOVE flash in their sites instead of information.
It looks like it won't interfere with your helmet. But I worry about the bottom jamming into the seat and being uncomfortable.

The TPro stuff may work. It sure is expensive. But, since I still have some numbness in my left ring and little finger, it is cheaper than further problems.

Thanks for any and all input. I think we all need better armor, btw.
I don't know about those specific Dainese shoulder peices, but most of the Dainese protectors are properly CE-certified, though the numbers they've been shown to acheive haven't been the best, not down to the force levels required by Cambridge, which may be more apporpriate to actual human bone tolerance levels, and the T-pro does pass the Cambridge levels at any thickness. The only difference is how much impact energythat can handle in the thicker multi-layer stuff. It can handle up to double the severity of the hit and still be effective. If you are looking for a back protector too, there is none better than the Forcefield, it's level 2 CE rated as well, allows less than half the amount of force transmitted than that same Dainese Wave piece. Johnson's Leather is also quite helpful for issues of fit,etc if that's a concern, I'd give them a call. I think they realize how expensive the stuff is, and seem to be very considerate of that. Like I said though, the Hiprotec is similar, and the next best thing on the market in terms of energy management for a lot less, it's just a litte more limited in the options for size and thickness. I think you ca nget hte T-pro in thinner or molded specs as well, Johnson's just doesn't advertize it on their site, but I think Motostrano.com Supermoto Alpinestars FOX ICON does. Johnson's is the US distributor though, so I don't know.

Anyhow, I think Dainese is grossly overpriced and hyped, but like I said, most appears legitimately CE-approved to the minimum requirements. And yeah, that flash(y) site is ridiculous, I haven't visited it for a while because every time I do, it's worse. Yes, the Euros love their Flash, especially the Italians. I wish they paid more attnetion to the details that count in all respects of their clothing lines.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > Riding Gear / Luggage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page