Owwww, my head hurts. Do I need a new helmet? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Riding Gear / Luggage Discussion of Helmets, Boots, Gloves, Leathers, Jackets, Pants, Back Protectors, Earplugs, Tank Bags, Tail Bags, Saddlebags, etc.

User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 05-23-2009, 7:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 68

Owwww, my head hurts. Do I need a new helmet?

Was out on the bike today & was out there longer than normal. All was well but about half an our into the ride, my head REALLY started to hurt, right on the top of the head.

The helmet was great when it was new, but now that the cheek pads have settled down, this pain starts...

In terms of helmet shape and all that, the hat fits when new. I had the same problem on an over sized hat supplied by the motorcycling school, so what do I do now? Try a smaller hat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 05-23-2009, 8:08 PM

Reputation Power: 21

Re: Owwww, my head hurts. Do I need a new helmet?

Usually its the pressure along forehead that gives you the pain....all you have to do is press the foam in to make it a better fit........ can't say ihave never experianced the top of the helmet causing probs

If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score
post #3 of 20 Old 05-23-2009, 8:45 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Even when the cheekpads settle down they should still push your cheeks up - if your cheek pads are only gripping your face and not making your cheeks bulge upwards slightly then the helmet is too big. And that's probably why your head hurts - you're doing the lid up more tightly to make it feel snug on your head, but all you're doing is pulling it down harder onto the top of your head.

Helmets should be tight to get on and off - kinda like a struggle to get them off, but not so tight that it hurts your head.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 05-24-2009, 8:40 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 270

Send a message via Skype™ to macca9540

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrumminRonin View Post
Was out on the bike today & was out there longer than normal. All was well but about half an our into the ride, my head REALLY started to hurt, right on the top of the head.

The helmet was great when it was new, but now that the cheek pads have settled down, this pain starts...

In terms of helmet shape and all that, the hat fits when new. I had the same problem on an over sized hat supplied by the motorcycling school, so what do I do now? Try a smaller hat?
I had the same problem with a helmet I won on Ebay. Even though it was the same size and make as my other helmet, it was slightly bigger. Me being a carpet layer, I have access to a number of different thickness underlay's, so I repacked the lining with different pieces to get the right fit. I now do this to all my helmets, maybe I have a weird shaped head.

I was young and stupid then. I'm old and stupid now.
We get too soon old, and too late smart.
I started off with nothing and still have most of it left.
A closed mouth gathers no feet.
post #5 of 20 Old 05-24-2009, 9:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westers View Post
Even when the cheekpads settle down they should still push your cheeks up ... you're doing the lid up more tightly to make it feel snug on your head, but all you're doing is pulling it down harder onto the top of your head.

Helmets should be tight to get on and off - kinda like a struggle to get them off, but not so tight that it hurts your head.
It's less of a struggle to get in and out of it now, than when I first got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macca9540 View Post
...different thickness underlay's, so I repacked the lining with different pieces to get the right fit. I now do this to all my helmets, maybe I have a weird shaped head.
Not impossible, but I might start getting myself some foam sponge & carving out pieces to pad up my lid!
post #6 of 20 Old 05-24-2009, 2:37 PM

Sounds like the helemt is slightly too big for you if it's now less of a struggle. I've learnt over the years that a helmet, when new, is a right struggle to get on, but once on should feel very snug, but not painfull. As it gets worn then it should ease a little to get on, but not by much.
post #7 of 20 Old 05-24-2009, 4:35 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 270

Send a message via Skype™ to macca9540

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrumminRonin View Post
It's less of a struggle to get in and out of it now, than when I first got it.
I'm not going to say the first thing that popped into my dirty little mind.

I was young and stupid then. I'm old and stupid now.
We get too soon old, and too late smart.
I started off with nothing and still have most of it left.
A closed mouth gathers no feet.
post #8 of 20 Old 05-24-2009, 6:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by macca9540 View Post
I'm not going to say the first thing that popped into my dirty little mind.

Thanks for sharing!

Quote:
Sounds like the helemt is slightly too big for you if it's now less of a struggle. I've learnt over the years that a helmet, when new, is a right struggle to get on, but once on should feel very snug, but not painfull. As it gets worn then it should ease a little to get on, but not by much.
Thanks for the tip.

Last edited by CBR Nugget; 05-24-2009 at 6:26 PM.
post #9 of 20 Old 05-24-2009, 8:36 PM

@ Macca9540.

Yep, my Arai is still tight to get on and off, to the extent that you don't want to keep taking it on and off all day 'cos your ears will start hurting. And it's 3 years old.

But, it's good when it's on - fits everywhere, but is very snug, and pushes my cheeks up towards my eyes. Not in a painful way.

HTH - I know what you're going through though - it took me 3-4 helemets to work out what was good and what wasn't. Trouble is my 3-4 helmets started cheap and then ended at Arai.
post #10 of 20 Old 05-25-2009, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
HTH - I know what you're going through though - it took me 3-4 helemets to work out what was good and what wasn't. Trouble is my 3-4 helmets started cheap and then ended at Arai.
LOL. Guess I should open a bike shop near you!!
post #11 of 20 Old 06-25-2015, 5:56 PM

I have the same problem. After about a half hour to an hour the top of my head hurts. It feels as if someone is tugging on my hair. I will continually throughout the ride lift it up a little to relieve the pain but once it settles the pain starts all over again. The helmet is a tight fit and doesn't hurt anywhere else. I have tried playing with the padding on the inside to see if that would help but after an eight hour road trip yesterday (no, it was not a solid eight hours) I couldn't wait to rip the helmet off my head.
post #12 of 20 Old 06-26-2015, 4:05 AM

Reputation Power: 5

Never experienced the top of my head hurting with a helmet but I guess if the helmet is too loose you will have 1500grams/3.3lbs pressing down on your head all day instead of distributed around your head.

Also a loose helmet will be ripping at your head all day long with buffetting and lift - horrible.

The crazy thing is that you can try helmets all day long but until you ride with them you can't tell whst they are like and you've spent your money.

A helmet has to be tight but not too tight and it's hard to judge. If the helmet feels nice when you put it on it's probably loose and you need a smaller one. If it feels slightly tight that feeling goes away after a few minutes.

Pete
post #13 of 20 Old 06-26-2015, 9:46 AM

The helmet isn't loose. It is very snug but I didn't think it was too snug. I don't get a pressure feeling, just as if my hair is being pulled. Is this a problem with people that have long hair only or is it something with the helmet?
post #14 of 20 Old 01-23-2016, 9:24 AM

I am wonder what Dakota60 did to fix the problem with your helmet. I have (2) Arai helmets and the same happens to me. I was told to buy a thicker liner. It worked for a while then back to the same problem where it feels like my hair is being pulled out on the top or back of my head.

I believe this is rare because of the looks I get when I am asking around. ANy feedback is apprciated.
post #15 of 20 Old 01-24-2016, 4:08 AM

Reputation Power: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglide1956 View Post
I am wonder what Dakota60 did to fix the problem with your helmet. I have (2) Arai helmets and the same happens to me. I was told to buy a thicker liner. It worked for a while then back to the same problem where it feels like my hair is being pulled out on the top or back of my head.

I believe this is rare because of the looks I get when I am asking around. ANy feedback is apprciated.
How long after new lid/padding did this start? Have you maybe tried removing the lining and running it through a washing machine? I do this every 6 months when it starts feeling a little loose. Feels like New again and smells nice, better than that sweaty head smell anyway. I've also found that having you hair cut or growing it longer makes a difference as well, makes the helmet feel tighter or looser.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > Riding Gear / Luggage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page