Best Jacket w/built in armor? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Riding Gear / Luggage Discussion of Helmets, Boots, Gloves, Leathers, Jackets, Pants, Back Protectors, Earplugs, Tank Bags, Tail Bags, Saddlebags, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 06-09-2009, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Best Jacket w/built in armor?

Lookin for a new jacket to wear for stunting. I have a nice vented leather jacket for riding, but learned the hard way that wiping out with a leather jacket offers little protection to road rash and such. I was just looking for suggestions, and also sizing help, because i know a large from one company isnt the same as a large from the other. Like the topic says, im mainly focused on a jacket with armor in the elbows and shoulders. If it offers back support as well, thats an added bonus. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-09-2009, 10:22 AM

Reputation Power: 12

Re: Best Jacket w/built in armor?

Have a look at ICON
post #3 of 16 Old 06-09-2009, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 26

I like my Clover RC100 jacket, but everybody has different ideas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 06-09-2009, 12:14 PM

Reputation Power: 17

teknic makes some really good stuff, at good prices too.;
post #5 of 16 Old 06-09-2009, 1:29 PM

I just picked up a Speed and Strength jacket yesterday. I've had an ICON and Joe Rocket textile previously and the speed and strength seems to be a better built jacket. It has a removable waterproof liner and back, shoulder and elbow pads and runs about the same price or a little less.
post #6 of 16 Old 06-10-2009, 12:48 AM

Reputation Power: 14

Send a message via MSN to shakey1378

Quote:
Originally Posted by untouchable4eva View Post
Lookin for a new jacket to wear for stunting. I have a nice vented leather jacket for riding, but learned the hard way that wiping out with a leather jacket offers little protection to road rash and such. I was just looking for suggestions, and also sizing help, because i know a large from one company isnt the same as a large from the other. Like the topic says, im mainly focused on a jacket with armor in the elbows and shoulders. If it offers back support as well, thats an added bonus. Thanks in advance!

are you wearing a leather garment or a true armored motorcycle jacket at the moment? because if it is not specifically built for riding it offers no real protection.

i like the speed and strength gear, i have a older icon jacket and i understand the back protectors are bigger now. astars is very nice too. most major brands are pretty decent. in most cases you can upgrade to an on the body back protector because on most jackets they are usually cheap foam.

knox contour or forcefield t-pro back protectors make for a good upgrade if you are concerned about the best possible safety. they even make chest pads which is nice because alot of jackets ignore the rib cage for armor and thats a easy area to get messed up. if a punch can break ribs...
post #7 of 16 Old 06-11-2009, 8:58 AM Thread Starter

Its a leather jacket for riding, and it just offers little shoulder protection, no elbow padding, and a small foam pad for the back. I just need somthing with more protection. Im lookin at new and used, and it seems that speed n strength. still would like more comments if yuo have them. Not commiting to anything just yet.
post #8 of 16 Old 06-11-2009, 6:12 PM

Reputation Power: 18

Send a message via AIM to TattooedGQ

I have an older Icon leather ($300)& textile ($175), Teknic Leather ($150- YAY newenough.com), some noname "Jackets for bikes ebay leather" ($100), and I just got the Alpinestars Sniper Mesh ($150).

I like the Icon armor alot, also my brother got a new Icon, and the new armor is even a little better.
The Teknic stuff is real nice, but in my jacket you can't remove the elbow/forearm pieces. I love the jacket, Chicane 2, new enough still has them on sale.
The Jackets-for-bikes armor is a joke, looks like kids roller skate gear, but it was 100 bucks and the leather, is thick, the finish sucks, but it should hold up.
The best armor by far is the A-Stars jacket, the elbow and shoulder armor is soft but tough, seems like it will provide good impact protection. It also comes with a foam back and chest protector, I plan on upgrading to the CE pads soon.

Hope that helps.
post #9 of 16 Old 06-11-2009, 7:19 PM

Reputation Power: 14

Send a message via MSN to shakey1378

what size are you and how much do you want to spend. i have a jacket im not using its brand new. i lost a ton of weight and it no longer fits. pm me if interested. but otherwise try newenough.com

i have joe rocket honda performance textile with an upgraded tpro back protector great jacket very comfy. lots of adjustments. probably wear this one the most as it fits best over my work clothes textiles are light but dont breath as good as a perf leather. very similar to speed and strength stuff. back protectors are exactly the same shape. similar in every aspect

teknic freestyle textile- fits well but i have big shoulders so the gp style air blade shoulders touch my helmet if im slouching but otherwise a gbood jacket with good armor and waterproof which is why i got it for rain. cheap jacket and worth it.

icon motorhead shield- leather. very stout shoulder and elbow armor, i added a tpro back protector insert but for some reason icon uses a smaller back pad so for a mens jacket if you want to upgrade it you need the womens version of the joe rocket tpro insert. at least if its an older one i think the newer jackets have bigger back pads now this jacket is an 06. overall feels like a safe jacket relaxed fit sleeves but the armor stays in place. i actually prefer a race cut so this may get set aside for when i buy a cruiser.

a stars atl jacket- great when it fit me. also a relaxed cut like the icon but definately glad i upgraded the armor here elbows and shoulders as good as icon or better but the back and stock chest pads look laughable at best. so i put the bionic chest inserts and ce rated rc protector ive only worn it 3 times its a shame because i really like it the best out of the four. best ventilation of all.

hope that helps
post #10 of 16 Old 06-12-2009, 4:22 AM

Reputation Power: 62

I have a berring summer jacket with armour in the shoulders, elbows, and back, but its very light and manouverable, and it works because ive been down the road in it and i was unscaved! (except for the busted foot)

Back on the road again!...
post #11 of 16 Old 06-12-2009, 5:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighter954rr View Post
I have a berring summer jacket with armour in the shoulders, elbows, and back, but its very light and manouverable, and it works because ive been down the road in it and i was unscaved! (except for the busted foot)
What is the Model of your Bering jacket?
post #12 of 16 Old 06-12-2009, 5:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghbzorro View Post
What is the Model of your Bering jacket?
Its model no. EN1621-1

post #13 of 16 Old 06-12-2009, 5:50 AM

Thanks ...

but just now found out that EN1621-1 is simply the EC standard for motorcycle protective pads. Can you try again for a model name, please?

Last edited by ghbzorro; 06-12-2009 at 6:02 AM.
post #14 of 16 Old 06-12-2009, 5:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghbzorro View Post
Thanks
no worries, i just checked and i think that code is just for the type of armour, i am unsure of the actual model of the jacket, sorry

post #15 of 16 Old 07-14-2009, 6:57 PM

I use the 2008/2009 Joe Rocket Alter Ego jacket and pants (sold separately). It has a removable rain liner on both, and sections of the jacket remove to expose a tough mesh for excellent breathing. Those removable sections are the torso/back and arms. It has armor built in on the back, shoulders and elbows, and I've proven it in battle unfortunately. The pants also have a removeable strip for breathing, while maintaining guards/padding on the knees, shins and hips. The set does protect very well against road rash, but a side impact still breaks bones, as I found out. Aside from a broken clavicle, I didn't have a scratch or bruise on me. It needed replacement afterwards, so I got the same version again. For sizing, the jacket should be one size larger than normal, and if you have long legs, get the "Tall" version of the pants. I'm 6'2" and slender, so XL-Tall fit perfectly. My jacket is also XL with a perfect fit.

I'm also considering the Draggin' Jeans Kevlar Shirt and Jeans.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > Riding Gear / Luggage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page