Excuse My Squid - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Riding Gear / Luggage Discussion of Helmets, Boots, Gloves, Leathers, Jackets, Pants, Back Protectors, Earplugs, Tank Bags, Tail Bags, Saddlebags, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 01-19-2010, 9:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 10

Send a message via AIM to shoebox5
Excuse My Squid

I have been meaning to buy a jacket, but I cant seem to find one comfortable enough yet not to mention aesthetically pleasing . I am a t-shirt and zip-up sweater guy. I don't have many jackets. Not to mention, I'm pretty simplistic, I don't really like bells and whistles with multicolor and flames, most jackets I have seen are very RR. I would love to get a plain black jacket with a hood. Something I can wear this spring and summer! I don't mean to be a squid, but I feel as if I'm going to spend 200+ on a protective jacket I'd like to have it be comfortable and something I remotely enjoy wearing.

*I know its not about aesthetics, and protection is what matters... but you wouldn't go out and spend... I actually have no analogy for this... Plus summer in Cali is hot, riding in a t-shirt has crossed my mind, but the Google images of road rash has kept my mind on track with buying a jacket.

Any help would be awesome, Thanks everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-19-2010, 10:15 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Re: Excuse My Squid

Bro summer in south Texas is no joke either I have a Joe Rocket UFO mesh jacket its comfortable and its cool enough when riding. Dont get me wrong it's still hot but I like my skin, bone, and other tissue right were it is.

Cover (with good gear) anything you don't want to come up without.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-19-2010, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 10

Send a message via AIM to shoebox5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRepsol View Post
Bro summer in south Texas is no joke either I have a Joe Rocket UFO mesh jacket its comfortable and its cool enough when riding. Dont get me wrong it's still hot but I like my skin, bone, and other tissue right were it is.

Cover (with good gear) anything you don't want to come up without.

For sure, I like my skin. I had my skin ripped off when I was a kid while BMXing, the chain had snapped, wasn't fun walking to the fire station in the heat, bone exposed and loosing blood everywhere.

Not an experience I want to relive, not to mention that was on a bicycle... not a motorcycle, I cant and don't want to imagine the pain. Thanks for the Joe Rocket Idea... never saw the web site before, also very decently priced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 01-20-2010, 1:14 AM

Reputation Power: 39

Send a message via AIM to WyoJames Send a message via MSN to WyoJames

Just out of curiosity, why would you want a riding jacket with a hood?

But check out the brand Power Trip. No hood but that is the jacket brand I have an it is comfortable enough to wear all day long.

Also look on New Enough Motorcycle Apparel sells motorcycle jackets, pants and suits, boots, gloves, helmets, etc :: New Enough, LTD they have pretty decent pricing and it will be cheaper than you will ever find in a shop

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you...
post #5 of 9 Old 01-20-2010, 5:02 AM

Reputation Power: 166

Well you've been on the site long enough to know he views of most of us on protective gear.

I have been looking at mesh gear recently too, for a trip I am planning to Spain in the summer. Thre is quite a lot of choice - I have seen offerings from Alpinestars, Frank Thomas, Hein Gericke and Buffalo. The Buffalo jacket and trousers come in at under 150 if I remember correctly.

Both the jackets and trousers have mesh airflow panels. I have also seen airflow boots too. Of course there are thousands of summer gloves available.

With so much kit available at really reasonable prices, there really is no excuse not to wear proper kit - not just a jacket! I speak from experience - I have had 2 crashes now, and thanks to my kit I have not got a mark on me. It would have been a whole different story if I was wearing a T-shirt and zip up sweater.
post #6 of 9 Old 01-20-2010, 3:58 PM

Reputation Power: 23

If your going to Spain i would make sure you have good waterproofs, me and a mate rode through France to Spain in early Audust and it rained hard all day every day for 5 days.Bought new vented leathers for the trip, and had them covered the whole time..............happy days.

What goes around, comes around.....
post #7 of 9 Old 01-20-2010, 4:12 PM

Reputation Power: 0

I wear all of my equipment anytime I ride no matter the temperature. For regular riding that includes a racing helmet, a textile jacket with shoulder, back, elbow and chest protection, gauntlet race gloves, Sidi boots and textile pants that have knee and hip protection. For spirited rides in the mountains and especially track days I use race leathers with associated padding. The very few times I've tasted the tarmac I've limited my injuries to mere bruises or minor scrapes instead of broken bones or worse.

Keep safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoebox5 View Post
I have been meaning to buy a jacket, but I cant seem to find one comfortable enough yet not to mention aesthetically pleasing . I am a t-shirt and zip-up sweater guy. I don't have many jackets. Not to mention, I'm pretty simplistic, I don't really like bells and whistles with multicolor and flames, most jackets I have seen are very RR. I would love to get a plain black jacket with a hood. Something I can wear this spring and summer! I don't mean to be a squid, but I feel as if I'm going to spend 200+ on a protective jacket I'd like to have it be comfortable and something I remotely enjoy wearing.

*I know its not about aesthetics, and protection is what matters... but you wouldn't go out and spend... I actually have no analogy for this... Plus summer in Cali is hot, riding in a t-shirt has crossed my mind, but the Google images of road rash has kept my mind on track with buying a jacket.

post #8 of 9 Old 03-30-2010, 9:57 PM

Reputation Power: 22

Send a message via MSN to exblader

Is this tw*t for real ? They actually let him out on the road with a bike ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoebox5

Thank god he dont live in the uk

Last edited by exblader; 03-30-2010 at 10:02 PM.
post #9 of 9 Old 03-31-2010, 10:17 AM

Reputation Power: 21

Oh follow your heart and stick to your style. That's what is most important anyway. Darwin will take care of the rest.

No doubt you selected your bike based solely on the color.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > Riding Gear / Luggage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page