Buying used helmet - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Riding Gear / Luggage Discussion of Helmets, Boots, Gloves, Leathers, Jackets, Pants, Back Protectors, Earplugs, Tank Bags, Tail Bags, Saddlebags, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 05-28-2003, 9:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: Buying used helmet

I am thinking of buying a used helmet off of E-bay. I have seen the pictures posted of the helmet. Looks like it's in excellent shape. They are actual pictures, not manufacturer posted pictures. What do you guys think? Is it safe or not? The seller says it has only been worn a handful of times. I dunno! Seems like a good deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 05-28-2003, 9:48 PM

Linky?
post #3 of 21 Old 05-28-2003, 10:27 PM

Post a linky!!!

PS. I have one for sale as well. Only a handful of uses. Actually it sounds like you were looking at *my* ad.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 05-29-2003, 4:53 AM

You have got to be kidding?

There are all kind of shady characters on Ebay
*cough* *Kookie**cough*

remember this is your safety we are talking about. *Not all damage to helmets can be seen at the surface.

My friend sanded the paint off his helmet as he was going to repair the small chipped paint spots on his Arai after a crash. *You could see spider cracks thru the whole helmet after the top layer of paint was sanded off.
post #5 of 21 Old 05-29-2003, 6:55 AM

Reputation Power: 50

Buy new, and don't cheap out. The extra $100 might save you paralysis, or worse, even death. Just buy a new one, and treat it like your firstborn
post #6 of 21 Old 05-29-2003, 9:04 AM

Don't. How much is your head worth to you?
post #7 of 21 Old 05-29-2003, 9:49 AM

Its not worth risking your head (life) just to save a few $$. Just like was said 'what's your head worth?'

You can get DOT and Snell approved helmet for about 200 or less. My first helmet was an HJC Cl-12.

Here is a new HJC (DOT and Snell) upgrade from the CL-12
CL-14
post #8 of 21 Old 05-29-2003, 10:01 AM

Don't buy a used helmet from a stranger. Reminds me of the crashed/rashed one that was being sold on Ebay last week. Ya never know what happened to it.

Now, if a good buddy of yours has one and wore it only a few times and you know it hasn't been abused, then it should be ok. Personally, I wouldn't consider buy a used helmet.
post #9 of 21 Old 05-29-2003, 6:56 PM

If you just need a helmet, I have 2 for sale. Medium and Small

Both are Shoei RFR's.

Both are about 5years old, and both were only used for about 3 months.

YES, 3 months. I had an old FZR, and hated it. So I sold the bike, but ended up keeping the helmets.

Never dropped, some skuff marks from being moved from house to house, but nothing major.

If you are interested, I'm selling them for $50/ea.

Just to let you know, the Medium helmet is missing the chin strap clip. You can see it in the pics provided.

post #10 of 21 Old 05-29-2003, 7:35 PM

Reputation Power: 18

I wouldn't buy a used helmet, unless you personally know the seller. You never know what you might end up with
post #11 of 21 Old 05-29-2003, 7:39 PM

Quote:
fivestar929 : I wouldn't buy a used helmet, unless you personally know the seller. *You never know what you might end up with
and HG too.

post #12 of 21 Old 05-29-2003, 7:54 PM

Most racing organizations won't let you on the grid with a helmet that is 5 years old. *The shell loses it's elasticity and begins to develop cracks over time. *Buy a new one and check the SNELL date. *If it isn't the latest, keep looking (and if it doesn't have SNELL certification, don't even consider it for a second).

post #13 of 21 Old 05-30-2003, 6:48 PM

Quote:
abtech : Most racing organizations won't let you on the grid with a helmet that is 5 years old. *The shell loses it's elasticity and begins to develop cracks over time. *Buy a new one and check the SNELL date. *If it isn't the latest, keep looking (and if it doesn't have SNELL certification, don't even consider it for a second).
You know there are NEW helmets sold with the Snell 1995 sticker inside.

The only difference with Snell 2000 is they put the helmet through a different set of tests.

Yes, helmets that are older usually are not to be trusted, but remember, those are the ones that were usually used for all 5 years.

I'm pretty sure there are a few riders in here that have helmets older than 5 years, and still use them on a consistant basis.
post #14 of 21 Old 05-30-2003, 6:57 PM

Quote:
NineFiftyFour : Quote (abtech @ May 29 2003, 7:54pm)Most racing organizations won't let you on the grid with a helmet that is 5 years old. *The shell loses it's elasticity and begins to develop cracks over time. *Buy a new one and check the SNELL date. *If it isn't the latest, keep looking (and if it doesn't have SNELL certification, don't even consider it for a second).
You know there are NEW helmets sold with the Snell 1995 sticker inside.

The only difference with Snell 2000 is they put the helmet through a different set of tests.

Yes, helmets that are older usually are not to be trusted, but remember, those are the ones that were usually used for all 5 years.

I'm pretty sure there are a few riders in here that have helmets older than 5 years, and still use them on a consistant basis.
This is just horseshit. *If you find a new helmet with a SNELL 95 sticker on it, it has been in the dealers stock for over 4 years (SNELL 2000 stickers were issued in late 1999). *The materials used in the manufacture of helmets degrade with age (see the AGV, Shoei or ARAI sites for details). *A 4 year old helmet is quickly approaching its end of life based on the manufacturers own recommendations and every SNELL test cycle ever run.

Do yourself a favor. *If you don't mind eating through an IV, pissing through a catheter, or using a respirator just to breathe, then buy that SNELL 95 helmet and go for it. *If you just want to spread some ashes, get a non SNELL certified helmet.

'The only difference with Snell 2000 is they put the helmet through a different set of tests.'

Yep that and the fact that they were manufactured while that standard was still in place (1995 through November 1999).

post #15 of 21 Old 05-30-2003, 7:53 PM

Quote:
NineFiftyFour : Yes, helmets that are older usually are not to be trusted, but remember, those are the ones that were usually used for all 5 years.

Usage isn't the issue, it is time. Air and sunlight are very harsh.

Here's an example most people will be familiar with. Ever put on a helmet when it has sat in the sun? It smells like glue. It smells like that becuase the glue is breaking down and releasing some of its components.

I see people use helmets after they crash them all the time too. It doesn't mean they're safe. (Or smart)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > Riding Gear / Luggage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page