Did a track day yesterday :-) - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Road Racing: Club / Amateur Discussion of Club / Amateur Motorcycle Road Racing, such as AFM, CCS, WSMC, WERA, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 07-15-2012, 2:25 PM Thread Starter
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Did a track day yesterday :-)

Had an awesome day, getting eight sessions in with two mates, although one was working in the morning and didn't get to the circuit until nearly 1600.

The overnight temperature bottomed at 3.2 degrees as I was crawling out of bed at 0700, but it had warmed up to 11 degrees when I got to the circuit, 235kms away, just after 1000. The windchill was brutal for two-and-half hours on the highway despite full leather (with the winter liner in the jacket), body armour, neck warmer and two track suits.

I pulled into the pits, dashed into the office to pay $100 for the day, pushed the bike over to be scrutineered, pushed it back to our pit bay to dump the tank bag, and went straight out onto the track. After the first session another scrutineer caught up with me and asked me to tape up my lights and mirrors :-)

From being painfully cold, the first ten-minute session got me so hot I had to strip down to a tee-shirt, tracksuit pants and socks to cool down for half an hour, before getting back into my armour and leather :-)

I wore a new lid I hadn't worn before and battled with the visor fogging up despite the breath mask. The straights were done one-handed as I had to hold the visor open to clear it enough to see the corners coming up. I think I only got one session that fogging wasn't a problem, when the temp was around 15 degrees. It reached 15.7 degrees at midday and went back down from there. That was also about when the rain really set in and increased for the rest of the day - awesome!

I have never had the ZX6R over 140kph so I really didn't know how it was going to handle the track, but it was flawless all day. During the week I gave it fresh oil, filter, brake fluid, chain, sprockets, and bearings and seals in the rear wheel. I noticed the sprocket carrier bearing wasn't good while I was doing the chain. I was pushed for time and almost didn't bother replacing it but after getting it out I was very glad I did. I really don't think it would've made it through the day. I lowered the gearing 25% and measured the wheelbase at 1335mm - 65mm shorter than stock. The tyres were a soft Shinko 003 front I fitted in March last year and a medium Shinko 005 rear I've been running since October 2010. The front took a good hard lap to come up to temp in the rain but otherwise was perfect. The rear tended to float around a bit but did the job just fine. I haven't checked the tyre pressures in the last few months and have no idea what they're at, but they worked brilliantly. I only had one serious frontend lose that was entirely due to me pushing it too hard on the first lap in heavy rain - the fact that I didn't go down tells me the tyre can do the job just fine.

After the last session I gave my mates a hand to load their bikes up, went round thanking the officials I could find, un-taped my lights, threw the tankbag on and headed home into the rain. It stopped raining about twenty minutes from home and it was 14.7 degrees when I arrived at 2000, wet and frozen - but still grinning from ear to ear :-)

On the highway averaging around 110kph, I was getting around 17km per litre. I don't have an odometer so it's good to know now that I can make the trip on one tank next time.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 07-15-2012, 4:05 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 270

Send a message via Skype™ to macca9540
Re: Did a track day yesterday :-)

Sounds like you had a great day Larry, I'm jealous.
But did you really do the ride there and back plus the ride day without checking your tyre pressures?
Call me paranoid, but I check mine nearly every ride.

I was young and stupid then. I'm old and stupid now.
We get too soon old, and too late smart.
I started off with nothing and still have most of it left.
A closed mouth gathers no feet.
post #3 of 26 Old 07-15-2012, 4:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 113

That's not a bad fuel economy at all, especially considering the gearing !! Glad you had a time there mate !!

If the bike isn't braking properly, you don't start by rebuilding the engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 07-15-2012, 4:16 PM

Reputation Power: 13

Glad you got out, I was starting to think you spend all your time on computers.
post #5 of 26 Old 07-15-2012, 7:18 PM

Reputation Power: 290

Send a message via MSN to setanta

Sounds like a great day out for you Larry, think Id never have managed the ride back after all the track time .

Closest to me is a five hour ride

Irish's Blog Page
Hate this Skin
Assalam-o-Alaikum
post #6 of 26 Old 07-15-2012, 8:46 PM

Reputation Power: 122

Nice
post #7 of 26 Old 07-15-2012, 11:14 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 198

Damn! That's dedication.
Very cool.
That's a good story, enjoyed reading it.
post #8 of 26 Old 07-15-2012, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by macca9540 View Post
But did you really do the ride there and back plus the ride day without checking your tyre pressures?
Yep :-)
I only check the pressures when the bike starts telling me they're getting too low. For a race day I would normally inflate to about 38/42psi then adjust after the first session - much easier to let air out than to put it in :-)
I'll try to remember to check them today and let you know what they are.

I haven't been running the rear caliper and only remembered on Friday to put it back on for scrutineering, and of course, they didn't even check it.

My shift linkage has been _very_ worn for a long while now - 40mm of vertical play and 20mm lateral - so I shimmed it with some Coke can and punched the rose joint rivets to tighten them up. Now it has 5mm vertical and perhaps 2mm lateral play, much nicer. Between tightening that up and new chain and sprockets it was like a new bike again :-)

The bent frame takes 3.5 degrees or so out of the steering head and pulls the front axle back 60mm from stock. But it also lifts the front of the bike a bit which improves ground clearance. I cut out the rear axle slots another 12mm to shorten it further but wasn't able to get the rear sprocket I wanted and only got the wheelbase down to 1335mm. I'll get the sprockets I need to shorten it another 10mm before I take it out again.

I'm not running a coolant reservoir or fan either, which I forgot about after the first session. Instead of killing the engine as soon as I pulled into the pits I left it idling for a minute and it spat out 50ml of water when I shut it down. Topped it up and remembered to shut it down earlier and had no more problem there.

I haven't had a front guard on it since I built it but I put a GSXR600 fibreglass guard on on Friday arvo just to help make the bike look more stock than it is so the scrutineers didn't start going over it too closely. A coat of plastic primer, spray putty and black paint took all of five minutes and I threw it in as soon as it was touch dry :-)

I realised also that the ancient 929 screen I've been running is so opaque now that I wouldn't be able to run a camera through it. So I whipped the new OEM screen off the GSXR1000 and put that on :-)
Can't find my camera cable so I'll get a new one today and I'll post a link when I get some footage up.

My mate's bikes were the '81 GSX1100E I raced for him in '03 when I blew it up. It's more of a stunt bike than a track bike really but the engine is very strong. And a bitsa GSX1100E that his mate has been putting together out of an abundant supply of parts from various bikes. It started with an engine and a GSX750 frame and grew from there. This was the first time it had been ridden as it's not licenced and only got brakes and chain last week. The rear sprocket is so small he was only getting up to third gear :-) She was awesome all day, although he lost the rear brake early on (I didn't even know he was using it) and the starter clutch likes to mess with your head a bit :-)

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #9 of 26 Old 07-15-2012, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues View Post
Glad you got out, I was starting to think you spend all your time on computers.

I was starting to think that myself :-)

post #10 of 26 Old 07-16-2012, 4:50 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 10

Dedication! Well done.
Couldnt handle that anymore. Used to travel over the Blue Mountains to Sydney tracks. Use the trailer or ute these days.
$100 is a great price. What track did you go to?
Regards
Chip
post #11 of 26 Old 07-16-2012, 7:45 AM Thread Starter
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip4now View Post
Dedication! Well done.
Couldnt handle that anymore. Used to travel over the Blue Mountains to Sydney tracks. Use the trailer or ute these days.
$100 is a great price. What track did you go to?
Regards
Chip

Oops :-)
Collie, south of Perth.
track
Attached Thumbnails
HCMC%20Collie%20Circuit.jpg‎   Collie_Google_Maps.jpg‎  

post #12 of 26 Old 07-16-2012, 9:51 AM

Reputation Power: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by macca9540 View Post
I do not check tire pressures very often.. Beginning of season is really the only time. When they get low you notice, so thats life.

James Taylor
post #13 of 26 Old 07-16-2012, 1:33 PM

Reputation Power: 290

Send a message via MSN to setanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazed View Post
I do not check tire pressures very often.. Beginning of season is really the only time. When they get low you notice, so thats life.
Lax about it myself

Irish's Blog Page
Hate this Skin
Assalam-o-Alaikum
post #14 of 26 Old 07-16-2012, 1:40 PM Thread Starter
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by setanta View Post
Lax about it myself

I think you develop feel for the tyre pressures over time so you don't actually need to check them. You know when they're a couple psi low.

post #15 of 26 Old 07-16-2012, 3:24 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
I think you develop feel for the tyre pressures over time so you don't actually need to check them. You know when they're a couple psi low.
Awesome story, thanks for sharing, this has been a slow riding year for me, lots of things going on but tonight I am heading out with an old friend for a scream down to Niagara Falls--can't wait to kick his 954 arse!!!!!!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Motorcycle Racing > Road Racing: Club / Amateur

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page