CCS Roebling 7-25-04 Race report. - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Road Racing: Club / Amateur Discussion of Club / Amateur Motorcycle Road Racing, such as AFM, CCS, WSMC, WERA, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 07-30-2004, 4:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

CCS Roebling 7-25-04 Race report.

This is off the top of my head...Clay please correct me if I mistated something.

Summary. Over estimate your fuel consumption. Never look back. ...and fresh tires do wonders for your confidence and lap times!
Finishes: 10th, 2nd, 1st, 2nd, 2nd.

First race: Unlimited GT (25min. race)
I lead most of the race, as my teammate Clay (CCS#823, forget his FB name) follows me around sizing me up....Turn 5 was not my greatest turn. I had been very inconsistent carrying speed through that turn. That turn has many patches and bumps and give me trouble all weekend. Anyway...Clay jumps out of my draft (you top out on the first straight about 160+ before braking into 1) to pass on me on the inside going into turn1. I shut the door on him but he passed me in turn 3. I stayed on his tail until my rear tire started spinning and I lost time in T5 as Clay was railing that turn. There's about 5 laps left...I'm in 2nd, I look back and one is close to me. Cool....Clay is pulling away but I got second wrapped up!....well. No. My gas light came on about 15 min. into the race...Still got a gallon left, I tell myself. About 3-4 laps left I dive into T1 with my knee on the deck at 80-90mph...the bike sputters mid-corner. It was not a good feeling! Then I knew I was in trouble. I made it about a .5 lap further and had to pull off the track. Some other riders had quite or feel before I ran out of gas so I ended up getting 10th when I had 2nd wrapped up! Oh-well. Lesson learned....put in extra gas!...especially for the long GT race! There went the points lead.

Second race: Unlimited Grand Prixt 8 laps.
I had a good start and was in the lead early. I still had the same rear tire from the GT race which was a little bit slippery and I was babying it on exits...afraid of the big slip and a highside. A fast guy on a 600 was on my butt from the start....Clay pulled a double draft and railed by both of us into T1. He tire was a little fresher and I tried to keep up but could not. He pulled away from us and left me to fend of those pesky 600cc bikes. I have more power for the big straight/start/finish but they kept trying to pass me especially in T5. One guy passed me on the last lap but I passed him back right at the finish line to keep 2nd place.

Third race:
It rained and the track was wet. This track has tons of patch & sealer on it and they are like ice when wet. Most of the lines through the turns change to go around the slick spots. I lead most of the race. Clay and I left all the other amateurs riders. Clay passed me close to the end of the 8 laps. I hung close but had some slips in some turns and lost some ground. I was about 50 yards behind Clay as he turn his head to see where I was.....I got some good runs in some of the turns and caught right back up to him...then going into T3...I'm on his left side...he looks over his shoulder...to the right and doesn't see me cause I'm on his left side. He thinks something happened to me and slows a bit. To his surprise I blast by on the outside....took the lead and held him off for the victory. Lesson...Don't look back!

Sunday:
4th Race:
I had fresh tires which really help but not enough! The starter made a mistake and started to drop the flag then took it back..then dropped it. This messed up my start a bit but still railed by everyone but that pesky 600 I battled w/ the day before. He had a slight edge on me into T1. I had the inside line but he slammed the door on me and I had to back off. I passed him on the next lap. I lead until I start to tire and Clay blazes by me again. We left all the other amateurs, none we even close. Took 2nd place.

5th Race:
Go start to the lead for the first half of the race until Clay passed me. I hung with him for a lap or 2 then he pulled away. Took 2nd place.

I lost some of the points leads I had but still should have 1 in Unlimited SuperSport. That 10th place really hurt. The 1st and 2nd in USS should keep me in the lead infront of Clay. I'll prolly drop to 2nd in UGP behind Clay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 07-30-2004, 4:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: CCS Roebling 7-25-04 Race report.

Broke into the 17s this time at RRR. (1:17.3). Clay got down into the hi 16s! Not bad for AMs!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Motorcycle Racing > Road Racing: Club / Amateur

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page