Zoltman racing ride report 4/29/06 - added damage pics - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Road Racing: Club / Amateur Discussion of Club / Amateur Motorcycle Road Racing, such as AFM, CCS, WSMC, WERA, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 118 Old 04-29-2006, 6:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 50

Zoltman racing ride report 4/29/06 - added damage pics

As I said in the other thread, I rode like total crap yesterday 'til about mid morning when things started to come together. Did fine in the afternoon, but then quit shortly after lunch because my tires were shot.

Got out to the track about 7 am. I think I broke some sort of a record, 'cuz by 20 after I had my canopy set up, bike out in the pit and the wheels off to get new rubber mounted. I had to wait quite a bit for the tire guy to set his stuff up, but I was first in line so I was all pumped to get it over with and get out for practice. I think the poor guy was having a bad day 'cuz it took him nearly an hour to finish. I was aggravated enough, but I think the couple guys behind me were ready to choke the dude. For some reason I had a horrible time getting my rear tire on. It's nothing short of a PITA because of the rear caliper bracket. Then comes the safety wiring which went ok considering it was my first time doing it.

By this time expert and novice riders were called in so I tried following the rules and not going out with the racers that just finished the school that day. They kept letting different groups out, and it was looking like I wasn't gonna get my practice in so I went out with one of the smaller classes to at least scrub the tires in. Bike felt good, a little wobbly at times when I got on the gas real hard, but no complaints outside of that. Ran about 7-8 laps, then came in so I could eat. Missed about half the rider's meeting because of the long line at the concession stand, but from what asking around I did I didn't miss much...Except for rule #1.

First race went fine, no events to speak of. Middleweight class grids and off we go. I asked to be gridded at the back since it was my first race, but judging by the way everyone else took off compared to my start I would've been fine in the #4 spot I had originally (gridding is based on order of registration). I held back for about the first half of the lap until everyone spaced out, then picked off the 2 guys in front of me. Guy in front of them was riding about the same speed as I. After about 2-3 laps I got in my groove and started gaining on him. I caught him about lap #12 right before the carousel but I cut back a bit 'cuz I felt like I was getting in slightly over my head, so I let him go. Caught up to him again at T12, pitched it into 13 and then lost the rear end.

From what everyone else says I highsided. I remember it as a lowslide, but that wouldn't make sense because the bike bounced off of both sides. I came to a stop right by the entrance to the hot pit in the middle of the track. Thank God there was nobody behind me or things would have turned out FAR worse. Bike stopped dead smack in the middle, sideways. I stopped a few feet ahead of the bike, not sure exactly where. I layed there for a few seconds and made sure I was stopped and that everything still moved before I crawled off into the grass. I got the wind knocked out of me a little so I sat in the grass for a few more seconds before I tried getting up. By the time I got up there were about 8 people running towards me to get the bike out of the way. Got a short ride in the bambulance, which I wasn't the least bit impressed with. They basically asked me if I was ok, told me to get in the back, drove me over by the tower, had me fill out some paperwork, gave me an ice pack for my shoulder and sent me on my way.

Both rear sets are gone(ground down and bent - sorry davef), left frame slider shattered (no more Sato's for me), left clipon broke, both bar ends broke off, master cylinder ripped open, windscreen broke and the bodywork is officially worthy of duct tape...and lots of it. It's still in tact, but lots of rash and even a few holes here and there. The left upper part of the upper broke off(by the windscreen), but that's the only piece that's missing really. That's all the damage I could see. It's gonna take me a little while to tear into it and find out if there is any damage underneath. Crank case is fine, the case covers didn't even touch down, radiator is not leaking nor is the plastic damaged on the outside of it so I'm assuming it's ok. I'm a little worried about my forks, I have a feeling they might be a little tweaked.

As far as my injuries...When the bike flipped on the left side my foot got caught under it and got smashed. Everything moves as it should (albeit a little painful and a little slower, but it works). I am having a hard time standing on it because it's getting pretty sore. Ankle is fine, no pain. Right shoulder is pretty sore (not surprising since I landed right on it), I have a hard time lifting anything, but I have full range of motion. Right wrist is a little sore because the handlebar got yanked out of my hand and "PETE" will be upset about this, but my right butt-cheek hurts like mad.

That's all I can think of as I'm sitting here doing a "self-test" on myself. My gear did it's job. I didn't inspect it very close, but my suit is rashed pretty bad, but no tears from a quick glance. Gloves are pretty much the same, as are my boots. The right side of my Quantum did touch down, so the helmet is toast. I wasn't the least bit dizzy nor does my head hurt at all so a big thank you to Arai for making a quality helmet. There will be no cringing next time I shell out $600 for a new lid.

I'm thankful that it's all that's wrong, could've been much worse. The part I feel worst about is that it happened right in front of both my parents, my cousin and his wife, and two really good friends.

On the bright side of things I got a thank you from the guy that was pitted next to me because he won the race because of the crash. It was red flagged and they didn't end up restarting it because it took too long to clean up the brake fluid and whatever other parts I left on the asphalt.

Heavy-Dee will be jealous to find out that his crush came up to me and handed me some parts that broke off. I got an in with her buddy, you just fell back a few steps in that game

EDIT: Pics of damage - https://www.fireblades.org/gallery/br...ages.php?c=754

Last edited by ND4SPD; 05-06-2006 at 2:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 118 Old 04-29-2006, 7:26 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Re: Zoltman racing ride report 4/29/06

Ah **** man, sorry to hear that.

Get that foot checked out if it's not better by Monday. As the adrenaline wears off it will hurt more. Ice and elevation.

post #3 of 118 Old 04-29-2006, 7:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtolean
Ah **** man, sorry to hear that.

Get that foot checked out if it's not better by Monday. As the adrenaline wears off it will hurt more. Ice and elevation.
I will. I have a good friend who's also a doctor. He was on his way out to see me when his car broke down, so he called me a little while ago to see how things went. He proceeded to make me an appointment with him tomorrow so he can check out my injuries. If things got worse by tomorrow I would've gone to an urgicare anywho, so it works out well.

Sorry to say this, but I don't know if I'll be back in the saddle by Grattan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 118 Old 04-29-2006, 7:33 PM

Sorry to hear about the crash, Z. Mend quickly.
post #5 of 118 Old 04-29-2006, 7:56 PM

That sucks. Sorry to here aobut the mishap. Take time and mend your self.
post #6 of 118 Old 04-29-2006, 8:01 PM

Reputation Power: 31

Heal quickly.
post #7 of 118 Old 04-29-2006, 8:13 PM

Dang!! Sorry to hear about da crash man. Hope you're alright..
What bike were you riding on?
post #8 of 118 Old 04-29-2006, 8:19 PM

That sucks...but at least you're not hurt worse! Get healed and get back out there!
post #9 of 118 Old 04-29-2006, 8:30 PM

Really sorry to hear about this, Z, but I know you'll be back in the saddle in no time (hopefully for Grattan!). I'm sure grateful that it wasn't any worse.
post #10 of 118 Old 04-29-2006, 8:35 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

This sucks, man. Get healed up quick.
post #11 of 118 Old 04-29-2006, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND4SPD
Heavy-Dee will be jealous to find out that his crush came up to me and handed me some parts that broke off. I got an in with her buddy, you just fell back a few steps in that game
This is HD's (cute) wifey. Mrs. HD. Whoever this little hussie is I'm gonna skin her alive. Noodles, you can have the dirty little slut.

Mrs. HD

Last edited by Heavy-Dee; 04-29-2006 at 8:52 PM.
post #12 of 118 Old 04-29-2006, 8:43 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 22

Bad news about the crash Hope your injuries are just bruises rather than tears or rips/breaks... heal quick

Z...

You're f%#&king up my Chi...
post #13 of 118 Old 04-29-2006, 8:57 PM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

quit that!

Must obey the sheep dog
post #14 of 118 Old 04-29-2006, 9:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. I'll try and snap some pics of the damage tomorrow.

I was riding an 03 600RR with Bridgestone BT002's...soft front, medium rear. Maybe I should've went with the soft rear as well
post #15 of 118 Old 04-29-2006, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND4SPD
Thanks for the well wishes everyone. I'll try and snap some pics of the damage tomorrow.

I was riding an 03 600RR with Bridgestone BT002's...soft front, medium rear. Maybe I should've went with the soft rear as well
I've been thinking about it, and I can't figure out what happened. I wish I would have been there. The tires should have been fine. What lap times were you turning? The pavement in T13 isn't that great, especially in the upper 2/3's of the track. There's a chance you took a strange line through there and got on some "green" track.

HD

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Motorcycle Racing > Road Racing: Club / Amateur

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page