Fasttrax Needs Riders - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Road Racing: Club / Amateur Discussion of Club / Amateur Motorcycle Road Racing, such as AFM, CCS, WSMC, WERA, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 07-03-2006, 3:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 34

Send a message via AIM to Heavy-Dee
Fasttrax Needs Riders

Racers dudes and wannabe racer dudes.

Fasttrax gets a bad rap. Yea, it's a little "backwoods" but it's a good group. Tech is "lenient" yes, but everyone is responsible. Nelson is bumpy yes, but the track is still fun and challenging.

Many of you know that Fasttrax's founder Bob Stanley died suddlenly of a stroke recently. Carol, Bob's wife, aims to keep the org running.

She needs more riders or we will lose this series. She didn't say as much. I'm reading between the lines.

If anyone wants to start racing, this is a good group to start with. They are supportive and emphasize safety. Meaning, they only encourage you to progress as fast as you are comfortable.

I would like to encourage anyone to come out and take the Advanced Street School, and then if you like it, the New Racer School. Then you can start racing.

If you have any questions/concerns about Fasttrax, I'll be happy to give you my .02. Post here or PM me.

Thanks,

HD

Fasttrax #15n
Lockhart Phillips
Suomy Helmets | RK Chain | PowerStands | LeoVince
SponsorHouse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 07-03-2006, 9:31 PM

Reputation Power: 50

Re: Fasttrax Needs Riders

No offense bud, but if I go through another day like I did Saturday I will never ride with them again. The tech inspection my bike received was nothing short of a joke, and the bike laying in the exit of T13 for several laps with nothing but a waving yellow it is absolutely inexcusable. I hope whoever is stepping up to the top of this thing will lay the smack down on the workers or they're doomed.

Lenient tech and lenient corner workers cannot equal a safe environment.

Also, out of the 5 crashes during that race, neither ambulance left the pit to check out the rider. I don't care if the guy got up and walked around on his own. So did Tigerblade. WTF was the race director doing the entire time? Taking a nap?
post #3 of 30 Old 07-03-2006, 11:00 PM

Reputation Power: 33

Will think about a novice event maybe next year but no way this year.

Reading on the site, they grid Novice and advanced in the same group? That does not sound good to me.

It's amazing how stupid some people can be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 07-04-2006, 9:42 AM

Reputation Power: 15

Having witnessed my first FASTTRAX event this past Saturday, I can't say I was encouraged by what I saw. I think I know where HD is coming from, and I admire his enthusiasm in recruiting. For his sake, I hope FASTTRAX continues to provide a racing environment for enthusiasts. But they need to address some serious issues beforehand. Part of it it the track (in another tread I likened it to the Marquis de Sade, and I wasn't joking as much as you think), but it sounds like they might be addressing that in the offseason. ND4SPD's safety concerns are legit and going to get someone seriously hurt on that narrow ribbon of asphalt.

The racers I met Saturday were the kind of guys and gals that make racing fun. Lots of help up and down the pit wall and nary a knucklehead. I'll defer to HD and ND4SPD here, but it would appear that the riders need to get more involved in the pre-race riders meeting, beacuse some of these issues can be remedied.

I myself would like to see FASTTRAX stay around and, if they get these issues handled, would consider joining in some events in the near future. (I'm sure with a but of resistance from the Mrs.)
post #5 of 30 Old 07-04-2006, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Well, conversely my inspection on Sunday was pretty good. All my wiring was checked, brakes, drain plug, throttle. Pete wants us to start wiring our header bolts, which personally I think is pointless, but regardless, it can't hurt.

Safety is everyone's responsibility. If there's a waving yellow, you need to decide if it's worth it to rail through that turn or take it easy. It is club racing after all. Everyone has to go to work on Monday. Carol and others refer to the "Fasttrax Family" and I'm beginning to see it now. I see it in the choices the riders make on the track to stay safe. I trust the other dudes to not be dumb, and I'll extend them the same courtesy of not being dumb and endangering them. I know that tech is lenient compared to other orgs, so it's on me to wire my **** and I'll trust that others do as well. If I see someone doing something stupid (like not wiring something) it's my responsibility to teach them.

I know that the corner workers are inexperienced, so I'll assume some responsibility of making the environment safer by choosing not to go 100% through that waving yellow. They are doing to best that they know, and with help from the organization and its racers they will get better. It's a lousy job that they have, and I appreciate what they do even if it's not a "professional" caliber. Hell, we see corner workers do questionable stuff in the MotoGP level. Look at Kato's crash, and the way they hauled Melandi off the track recently.

Because I want the organization to persist, I'll live with some things that are not ideal and help Carol and whomever to make improvements. Anyone can sound like an expert on the Internet. And anyone can point out flaws. Did you talk to Carol or Todd about your concerns? I bet they would listen.

The organization needs people that want to race in a family atmosphere to support it and help make it better. If you don't want to race w/ them, fine. But don't talk **** about the organization that Bob and Carol worked ****ing hard to start and maintain at a time when Carol is trying to get over the loss of her husband, Todd's dad, and trying to keep the organization together. It would be damn easy for her to just sell it and walk away. She still might, who knows? But I hope not. I'm not ready to go WERA racing, and I don't really want to travel to races yet. So I'm going to do whatever I have to do to help the org continue on. We want to race, we will assume some more responsibility to keep it possible. And that doesn't necessarily mean working for Fasttrax or officially volunteering. It means assuming more responsibility, and yes, maybe a little more risk. It's motorcycle racing not knitting, and the dangers are inherent.

I'm not saying that your race should not have been red flagged. I wasn't there so I don't know. Maybe it should have been, but it wasn't. All I'm saying is that there are things to be learned for sure. So let's learn from them and move on. If you want to race conveniently and cheaply this is your ONLY option. At a time when the organization is potentially on the brink of folding, your post in a public forum isn't helping matters.

HD

Fasttrax #15n
Lockhart Phillips
SponsorHouse
post #6 of 30 Old 07-04-2006, 12:40 PM

Reputation Power: 26

What tracks other than Putnam do they run?
post #7 of 30 Old 07-04-2006, 12:43 PM

Reputation Power: 33

Nelson Ledges

It's amazing how stupid some people can be.
post #8 of 30 Old 07-04-2006, 12:46 PM

Reputation Power: 50

You know as well as anybody else that I'm not trying to badmouth them. IMO, there were some (big)screwups on Saturday that I hope will be addressed for EVERYONE'S safety. I very much appreciate the convenience and cheap factor of Fasttrax, but those two don't mean squat if I'm not gonna be safe.
post #9 of 30 Old 07-04-2006, 1:32 PM

Personally, I am willing to give FASTTRAX and Camp Nelson the benefit of the doubt in that Saturday may have been an anomaly. My gut tells me that not all of it was, as is the case at times with mom and pop racing clubs, but I also believe that the Stanley family works as best as they can to provide a safe and fun environment for club racers. And now, in the wake of Bob's death, they have the unenviale and unfortunate responsibility of continuing on without him. That can't possibly make things easier. That's why I made the comment that if they aren't already, the riders should be getting more involved in the pre-race meetings, as well as bringing issues up to the F'TRAX staff. Saftey on the track is first and foremost the responsibility of the racers. Not going 100% through a corner with a waving yellow flag isn't taking up the slack for inexperience of the corner workers, its what you're supposed to do. But you shouldn't be exposed to a 400 lb motorcycle sitting on the racing line in the exit of a high speed turn if it didn't happen right in front of you. In that instance, there should have been a red flag w/out question. Could this have been a once in a million type incident? Sure. And thank God no one else went down and the rider appeared to be okay. But the added risk to the reamining field was completely avoidable with a little exercise of common sense. I hope, and am willing to bet, that someone has already had a conversation with the powers that be at F'TRAX about that crash.

Like I said before, the group of riders that I met while there with ND4SPD Saturday were the kinds of people you hope to meet when club racing. And I sincerely hope that F'TRAX is able to persevere through this rough spot right now. But what Carol and her son are going thorough isn't necessisarily the cause or an excuse for not doing things better with regard to safety. And not all of that burden should fall on them. The track should be involved as well, just like the racers. I myself will be asking some questions, perhaps finding a way to help make things better. I will be in Z's pit for the remaining races and will be inquiring as to how things work around there. While it may be a sometime before I am in a position to compete, if there are ways I might be able to help things to perpetuate F'TRAX and the family racing atmosphere that one joins such an organization to enjoy, I'll do what I can. I hope to bring my son out when he gets to an age where he can race. We're not here casting out stones at the F'TRAX folks just out of anger or for shits and grins. If you think we're giving a bad name to them now, wait until someone gets seriously hurt or God forbid killed from an easily preventable incident. That will do ten times the damage some online forum banter will. We're just looking for things to improve for the betterment of all involved. HD, I want FASTTRAX to get better for you, for ND4SPD, for the racers I don't know, and for maybe myself sometime. So, please take the anger down a notch and use that energy to make your racing club a better one and yourself a better racer. I appreciate your frustration. But getting chippy isn't going to make it better or gain allies. I'm sure we'll get a chance to talk at the next race, and I'm looking forward to it. Just know that I'm not there to criticize unless its constructive. I've been a fan of this sport for a while, and around a bit of it, just like alot of other guys aroudn here. We all want clubs like FASTTRAX to succeed. But it has to be safe first.
post #10 of 30 Old 07-04-2006, 2:09 PM

Reputation Power: 39

Not to enter the fray on the tail end, but when they ran at Grattan a couple of seasons ago, they were the worst in terms of tech, last minute "rule changes" ( ) and overall safety. They talked the talk, but never walked the walk. If it wasn't for the Can Do crew, they would have had a train wreck at every event.

The final straw was having them combine the U/L Superbike (or whatever they called it) with the 125 GP bikes. I ate my entry fees and packed up.

Dee, this is EXACTLY the place for sharing first hand knowledge of the organization and individual experiences with any racing organization. I have blasted CCS and WERA both here and on their home sites and if someone is really fubar, it's up to people like ND4SP and other racers to point it out.

and your girlfriend too.
post #11 of 30 Old 07-04-2006, 3:06 PM Thread Starter

My point, is to point it out to the those running the show. Not to those that could be welcome additions to the sport but after reading get turned off unnecessarily.

Z, you've done 2 races and crashed out of 1. Yet you talk like you've been doing this forever. There are a lot of dudes out there that have tons more experience than either of us. Including Rich, the guy that is stepping in for Bob. And Carol even eluded to some potential changes. We don't know what that might be, but I imagine that the forum is open. If you have concerns take them up with her personally, rather than make the org look bad to those that might have otherwise been interested in joining the fray.

HD

Fasttrax #15n
Lockhart Phillips
SponsorHouse

Last edited by Heavy-Dee; 07-04-2006 at 3:20 PM.
post #12 of 30 Old 07-04-2006, 3:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer
Reading on the site, they grid Novice and advanced in the same group? That does not sound good to me.
For sprints, they are in the same race, but gridded in two seperate groups. The grids are typically small and the track is nowhere near crowded.

For mini-endurance they are not distinguishing between expert and novice b/c the format is still gaining poplarity. This is part of the reason I stopped running them. I may do them again next year, and hope by then they will seperate the novice from expert.

Fasttrax #15n
Lockhart Phillips
SponsorHouse

Last edited by Heavy-Dee; 07-04-2006 at 3:27 PM.
post #13 of 30 Old 07-04-2006, 3:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilDawg
Personally, I am willing to give FASTTRAX and Camp Nelson the benefit of the doubt ...
I strongly encourage you to take the Advancded Street School and then the Racer school. Do some races and make your own decision after gaining some first hand experience. And I'm saying this with no tone.

Fasttrax #15n
Lockhart Phillips
SponsorHouse
post #14 of 30 Old 07-04-2006, 3:28 PM

Reputation Power: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy-Dee
My point, is to point it out to the those running the show. Not to those that could be welcome additions to the sport but after reading get turned off unnecessarily.

Z, you've done 2 races and crashed out of 1. Yet you talk like you've been doing this forever. There are a lot of dudes out there that have tons more experience than either of us. Including Rich, the guy that is stepping in for Bob. And Carol even eluded to some potential changes. We don't know what that might be, but I imagine that the forum is open. If you have concerns take them up with her personally, rather than make the org look bad to those that might have otherwise been interested in joining the fray.

HD
OK, so someone tells Carol & company about their concerns (like no one has ever done that before ) and they take them under consideration, or more likely add them to the list of things to consider next year. In the meantime, someone gets hurt badly while waiting for them to get up to speed.

Ever since I became aware of their existence (in '02), they have made very few significant changes to their program and (at least at Grattan) that used to be somewhat of a free for all. It amazed me that they blew off the Friday open practice for their weekend event and instead put on their safety school. This meant that instead of working through a problem during a practice day, you had very little time to setup (compared to all of the other organizations that raced there).

Just one racer's opinion . . .

and your girlfriend too.
post #15 of 30 Old 07-04-2006, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy-Dee
I strongly encourage you to take the Advancded Street School and then the Racer school. Do some races and make your own decision after gaining some first hand experience. And I'm saying this with no tone.
Thanks for the info on your tone. I know how sentiments can get misconstrued when they are typed and not said and heard. I have actually taken the Team Hammer Advanced Riding school at Daytona in '97 and have helped on some pit crews for privateer entries into the Daytona 200. I'm not tooting my own horn here because there are some very experienced and knwoledgeable guys in this forum, but I've been around a bit. I wouldn't have provided the kind of commentary I have to this point unless I had the experience to back it up.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Motorcycle Racing > Road Racing: Club / Amateur

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page