WERA Boycotters at Nelson Ledges - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Road Racing: Club / Amateur Discussion of Club / Amateur Motorcycle Road Racing, such as AFM, CCS, WSMC, WERA, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 78 Old 09-09-2006, 9:57 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

WERA Boycotters at Nelson Ledges

Robert Jensen (current Grattan record holder) boycotted Nelson after deeming the track too unsafe for speeds...

Knapp, Coleman Top WERA National Challenge Series Qualifying At Nelson Ledges; Jensen, Batey, Acree Boycott News Article // RoadracingWorld.com

"It is better to post and risk reposting than to have never posted at all."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 78 Old 09-10-2006, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 39

Send a message via AIM to CBR929RE
Re: WERA Boycotters at Nelson Ledges

new age Kenny Robertses in the making.

maybe with new pavement and the walls moved back HD will be faster

if you can't convince them, confuse them.
post #3 of 78 Old 09-10-2006, 9:51 PM

Reputation Power: 34

Send a message via AIM to Heavy-Dee

Doubtfull. There's nothing slowing me down except myself.

But yea, I've been following that thread, and may have even posted in it. Mongo's stance on the deal is suprising, IMO. The place needs work for sure. But at my pace it's barely an issue. At 1:06's, (a full 10 secs fast than my best ever time, and about 12 secs faster than my fastest this year) there's hardly a safe place on the track.

Last race, a number of people went off in the kink. One guy complaing of the "eight foot drop off from the track to the grass" and another guy hit a tire wall pretty hard. The day before, a guy was life flighted after going down there. It's a scary section b/c it's so fast and the the kink comes up on you in a hurry. The dip in the middle of it (right at the apex) is good and bad. It slows you down, but it also will throw you out of the seat. Typically I stand up just a bit and let the bike come back into me. But again, remember that I'm slower than molasses in January.

Anyway, I'd like to see a group of people get together to work and move the walls. Sort of like a community work day or something. The problem is that the disposal of the tires is very costly. Very costly.

Fasttrax #15n
Lockhart Phillips
Suomy Helmets | RK Chain | PowerStands | LeoVince
SponsorHouse
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 78 Old 09-10-2006, 10:26 PM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

Check around on the tire disposal if it comes to that. I think they burn them in a steam plant here, might occur other places also In the meantime avoid it and protect your hide

Must obey the sheep dog
post #5 of 78 Old 09-11-2006, 12:48 AM

Reputation Power: 17

A different point of view:

I hear this safety complaining alot lately. In my view, if you know it's not safe in a particular corner then you should go slower to make sure you don't crash and get hurt. If you loose the race because some idiot goes faster than you - so be it. It is his life to risk.

Listen to Junge's comments: A. It's too bumpy-they need to fix the bumps. B. If they fix the bumps it will be scary fast. What an ass. Race what you got and ADJUST.

I see all racing becoming sanitized. Motorcycles will never be completely safe because they are motorcycles. I don't take a left corner as fast when I know there is a cliff or a wall on the right. What's wrong with personal responsibility?

NASCAR is becoming so safe that any bozo can go out and crash at 150 on any track at any time and not only walk away, but maybe even drive away. No wonder it's so popular - everyone thinks they can do it with no risk.

Eventually, racing won't mean squat. It will just be another computer game that anyone can master with enough money and practice. "No guts - no glory" will disappear from racing like bell-bottoms and peace signs vanished from San Francisco.

It's better to live and learn than to just learn. - My very own oxymoron.
post #6 of 78 Old 09-11-2006, 9:12 AM

Racing is inherently dangerous. There are enough dangers w/o adding some that are preventable. Granted, the danger is part of the apeal, but unnecessary danger a la walls that are 20-30 years too close are just stupid.

I hear what you are saying about choosing to go through a dangerous corner slower, but come on, this is racing, not a track day. They can't be compared. If I ask the guy gridded next to me to agree to only go through t1 at the safe 50 insead of the 100mph that is possible, he'd look at me like I had 18 heads. It's just not reasonable.

The fact of the matter is that the track *is* out of date, and *can* be changed/saved. It just takes money. Period.

Unfortunately, the problem gets worse every year as the track gets worse less events go there compounding the "affordability" of upgrades and maintenance. The track needs one of two things, maybe both: some good sponsors, or a benefactor.

HD

Fasttrax #15n
Lockhart Phillips
SponsorHouse
post #7 of 78 Old 09-11-2006, 12:05 PM

Reputation Power: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchslip View Post

I hear this safety complaining alot lately. In my view, if you know it's not safe in a particular corner then you should go slower to make sure you don't crash and get hurt. If you loose the race because some idiot goes faster than you - so be it. It is his life to risk.

Listen to Junge's comments: A. It's too bumpy-they need to fix the bumps. B. If they fix the bumps it will be scary fast. What an ass. Race what you got and ADJUST.

I see all racing becoming sanitized. Motorcycles will never be completely safe because they are motorcycles. I don't take a left corner as fast when I know there is a cliff or a wall on the right. What's wrong with personal responsibility?

NASCAR is becoming so safe that any bozo can go out and crash at 150 on any track at any time and not only walk away, but maybe even drive away. No wonder it's so popular - everyone thinks they can do it with no risk.

Eventually, racing won't mean squat. It will just be another computer game that anyone can master with enough money and practice. "No guts - no glory" will disappear from racing like bell-bottoms and peace signs vanished from San Francisco.

You've never been a racer.

...in bed.
-------------------------------------

...you are trying to insult me, and I agree it is very easy to do, if you haven't sufficient respect for yourself. - Tolstoy
post #8 of 78 Old 09-11-2006, 12:09 PM

Reputation Power: 43

Send a message via MSN to phobiaphobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy-Dee View Post
The problem is that the disposal of the tires is very costly. Very costly.
Can of gas

Match

Bwaaahaahaaa

And then there's this asshole...
post #9 of 78 Old 09-11-2006, 12:13 PM

Reputation Power: 43

Send a message via MSN to phobiaphobe

Quote:

At the same time, squids (like me) are leaving the street every day to ride on racetracks as a funner, safer alternative. If riders see the track as being less safe than the street they will probably stay on the street.

And then there's this asshole...
post #10 of 78 Old 09-11-2006, 12:22 PM

Reputation Power: 39

Quote:

And a point of view I have heard before. The only problem with this is that if I derive my income from racing (as the people in the article do) and will lose my job if I don't finish well, then there is no way I can go out and do any less than 110% regardless of the conditions. If NO ONE went out, then the promoters will eventually stop racing at Nelson's or someone will repair the facility.

I used to race on tracks that people wouldn't consider a parade lap on today, but it took several boycotts and quite a few deaths and crippling injuries before the tracks got any better or were skipped altogether.

The AMA has continually tried to run road races on super speedways and usually with catastrophic results. Daytona to this day is still one of the most unforgiving tracks around, but since it would cost millions in lost sales revenue and status points for the manufacturers, they still race there regardless of the outcome.

WERA has had a love/hate relationship with Nelson Ledges for several years and has stopped running there off and on a few times since 1991. I raced there back in the late 60s and early 70s and it hasn't changed all that much since then. Little bits here and there, but never the complete reface and clearing of obstacles that it needs. Now think about how the speeds and acceleration capabilities have changed since the 70s . . .

and your girlfriend too.
post #11 of 78 Old 09-11-2006, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abtech View Post
I raced there back in the late 60s and early 70s and it hasn't changed all that much since then. Little bits here and there, but never the complete reface and clearing of obstacles that it needs. Now think about how the speeds and acceleration capabilities have changed since the 70s . . .

Personally, the surface isn't that bad. Now keep in mind that it's the track that I have the most experience on and also, I'm freakin' slow. So take my opinion w/ a grain of salt, however, bumps are mearly "character" that can be raced around. Everyone has to deal w/ it, and it doesn't effect the racing per se....to an extent. Nelson, IMO isn't to the point that the bumps effect the racing. The surface is in the best shape it's been in for many many years.

The walls/runoff are a totally different story. Turns 1-3, the carousel, and the kink are not good places to go dirt tracking. Unfortunately, that equates to 2/3's of the track.

Now, will I race this Sunday? Yes. I know the danger and I won't push more than I have to. Besides, I'm not turning 1:06's. Not by a long shot.

HD

Fasttrax #15n
Lockhart Phillips
SponsorHouse
post #12 of 78 Old 09-11-2006, 1:22 PM

Reputation Power: 50

The surface may be the best it's been for years, but still leaves much to be desired. But what do I know, I don't even own a bike.
post #13 of 78 Old 09-11-2006, 1:31 PM

The surface is the least of the problems there.

Fasttrax #15n
Lockhart Phillips
SponsorHouse
post #14 of 78 Old 09-11-2006, 1:37 PM

Reputation Power: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy-Dee View Post
The surface is the least of the problems there.
Agreed...that tire wall needs to go asap. At the rider's meeting of my July race they asked everyone to not put tires on the wall anymore because it will be removed next year. Hopefully it'll come true.
post #15 of 78 Old 09-11-2006, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND4SPD View Post
Agreed...that tire wall needs to go asap. At the rider's meeting of my July race they asked everyone to not put tires on the wall anymore because it will be removed next year. Hopefully it'll come true.
Yea, every once in a while they remind people.

Fasttrax #15n
Lockhart Phillips
SponsorHouse

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Motorcycle Racing > Road Racing: Club / Amateur

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page