To race or wait to race... - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Road Racing: Club / Amateur Discussion of Club / Amateur Motorcycle Road Racing, such as AFM, CCS, WSMC, WERA, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 09-16-2006, 1:12 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 14

To race or wait to race...

Thinking of getting my race license by Learning Curves. I would like to hit some local races at Gingerman and Grattan next year ('07), while heading out to different tracks via track days so I can learn them before I race(duh!). Since I keep getting kicked off when I go to the WERA page, I was wondering if you racers can help me out. I was wondering what the entry fees usually run, and how you work your way up the "ladder". I have seen that there are usually A, B, C classes for Novice races at Grattan. Are the groups based on qualifying times or what? Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-18-2006, 11:16 AM
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 31

Re: To race or wait to race...

I've only raced with CCS and CRA. They do not have separate A, B, and C groups for novices. You are simply gridded in order of entry. Qualifying is typically not used in club racing - takes too long. For CCS, licensing fees are $110/season ($75 after 7/1 and $35 after 9/1). Pre-Entry fees are $70 first entry, $50 second entry, and $35 for each additional. Some classes are $70 entry regardless of how many others you've entered.

Learning Curves is a good place to start. They will answer all your questions. Say hello to Brian McLaughlin for me!

Is a paradigm worth 20 cents?
post #3 of 7 Old 09-18-2006, 11:38 AM

Reputation Power: 17

A, B and C classes are based on what type of bike your on. Your 600rr can be run in C class. You can also run in a higher class so your 600 can run in B (which is typically for 750 inline 4's) and C class (which will have 1000s). I'm not sure where the twins fall into the classes but they are there too.

Its pretty common for good racers to run their 600's in all 3 classes. I have seen some guys win all three on 600's also.

Every association has there own rules regarding Novice and Expert here are the WERA rules:
Novices finishing in the top 5 in any of their classes at the Grand National Finals and/or in the top five in points in their class in their Region will be advanced to Expert status the following season. Novice riders not meeting the above criteria may apply for advancement to Expert status by submitting a written request to WERA Headquarters, which may or may not be allowed pending review of the rider’s performance and finishes by WERA Headquarters. Riders may decline advancement via writing or email to WERA Headquarters if they feel they are not ready to compete on the Expert level, and may or may not be allowed to retain Novice status pending review of the rider’s performance and finishes by WERA Headquarters.
4. A rider may apply to move down in status from Expert to Novice if: a) he has not competed for more than one year; or b) he is being beaten consistently by Novice riders. Riders may or may not be allowed to move down in status pending review of the rider’s performance and finishes by WERA Headquarters.

For a first time racer you may want to consider the lightweight class. Or maybe even the vintage classes. The slower speeds are more forgiving and you have more time to learn how to corner, pass, the line etc.

"and when I gun the engine I want it to sound like the world is coming to an end" -Homer Simpson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-18-2006, 2:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfmotorcycle1 View Post

For a first time racer you may want to consider the lightweight class. Or maybe even the vintage classes. The slower speeds are more forgiving and you have more time to learn how to corner, pass, the line etc.
That sounds like pretty good advice to me.. wonder what ND4SPD and Heavy-Dee think about that in retrospect..

If by being violent you mean Islam prescribes expansion of its rule through warfare and is therefore violent then so be it. - SPDUDE
See you at Grattan June 25-27 2007 !
Email me for info.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-18-2006, 3:10 PM
Supporting Member

Reputation Power: 31

It is good advice. Start on a lightweight and run as much as you can afford. I learned much more in my year racing the SV than on the RC51.

Is a paradigm worth 20 cents?
post #6 of 7 Old 09-18-2006, 4:08 PM

Reputation Power: 14

Send a message via MSN to slanger

start small... but having a liter bike is not a bad thing... these classes are usually smaller and dont have a lot people compared to the 600 classes.... but just be careful and go out there to win.
post #7 of 7 Old 09-18-2006, 4:11 PM

Reputation Power: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRVFR View Post
That sounds like pretty good advice to me.. wonder what ND4SPD and Heavy-Dee think about that in retrospect..
I would tend to agree. If I ever return to racing it'll likely be on an SV.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Motorcycle Racing > Road Racing: Club / Amateur

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page