wanting to get into racing... - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Road Racing: Club / Amateur Discussion of Club / Amateur Motorcycle Road Racing, such as AFM, CCS, WSMC, WERA, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 09-24-2006, 4:24 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

wanting to get into racing...

i've been riding for a year and a half and i want to get a track bike. any tips on where to find a salvage bike (i.e. websites, auctions, or forums) that i can rebuild for track use. thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 09-24-2006, 4:28 PM

Reputation Power: 50

Re: wanting to get into racing...

Try the WERA boards and Craigslist. This is a good time of year to buy a fully prepped bike.
post #3 of 18 Old 09-24-2006, 4:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 46

Want a 600RR?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 09-24-2006, 7:29 PM

Reputation Power: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDA116 View Post
Want a 600RR?
You're selling it already?
post #5 of 18 Old 09-24-2006, 7:55 PM

Reputation Power: 14

Send a message via MSN to slanger

have you done any trackdays....

before you go buying all the toys, try them out. doing trackdays are ALOT cheaper than racing.

but before you go jumping off the edge, just try out a couple local trackdays with your bike now, see if they are for you and if you can financially support it.
post #6 of 18 Old 09-24-2006, 11:56 PM

WERA board is where I got my bike. If you want a salvage bike so you can put it together yourself, try ebay. But if youre gonna buy a salvaged bike and spend $3000-$4000 on one, and then spend up to $2000 in repairs and race parts, just get a used bike allready prepped.

Last edited by KF810; 09-25-2006 at 12:03 AM.
post #7 of 18 Old 09-25-2006, 1:44 AM Thread Starter

hey guys, thanks for the input! i'm really excited to build a bike...probably a little more than actually hittin the track right now. so, i'm kinda lookin to spend about $2500 on somethin that has been down/salvage or something... just to get started. I've been checkin out e-bay, but i was really surprised to see how many stupid people will pay a ton of money for crap.
post #8 of 18 Old 09-25-2006, 9:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamus View Post
You're selling it already?
Sure, why not? For the right price, I'd sell it in a heartbeat. It's just a motorcycle.
post #9 of 18 Old 09-30-2006, 11:05 AM

This is a great time of the year to be buying an older '01-03' race bike (i would suggest the racing websites normally have classifieds)
With all the new models coming out now there is a great devaluation on a bike after only a couple of years racing.

Buying Raced is WAY better than wrecked. You never know what is bent inside a bike thats been down. If it has been raced it is likely to have been fasticiously maintained by a guy trying to squease every last tenth out (and you get some really cool bits and pieces that you normally cant affoard).

Prices are similar between wreck and race as there seems (in my opinion) to be a stigma attached to raced bikes however i change my oil every 2 hours, Rings every 6 and pistons every 12. If you buy a wreck, you are buying an unknown.

If buying a race bike check for things like loose bolts around engine casings as usually the soft alloy gets stripped out with all the "on-offing" of the cases (They can be fixed with a helicoil pretty easily) and look for attention to detail for brackets that have been made etc. Generally good clean bracket work seems to be a sign of a well prepaired and maintained bike (so i have found)

Good luck and don't listen to anyone who tells you not to race. It is easier to dust sand off your leathers after a fall then it is to remove you off the back of a truck.
post #10 of 18 Old 11-16-2006, 3:57 PM

I agree. Get a race bike. You'll get one at a good price all ready for the track, and you won't have to worry about what the bike has ACTUALLY been through. Plus with a race bike, you'll more than likely get a butt-load of goodies like suspentions, and other mods. I would definently start with some trackdays. Hit is hard this coming season, and race in 2008. I'm racing for the the first time this coming season... I am going to get slaughtered! I just don't want to ruin anyone elses race.
post #11 of 18 Old 11-16-2006, 4:03 PM

Reputation Power: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky66 View Post
I agree. Get a race bike. You'll get one at a good price all ready for the track, and you won't have to worry about what the bike has ACTUALLY been through. Plus with a race bike, you'll more than likely get a butt-load of goodies like suspentions, and other mods. I would definently start with some trackdays. Hit is hard this coming season, and race in 2008. I'm racing for the the first time this coming season... I am going to get slaughtered! I just don't want to ruin anyone elses race.
Ah Nicky, my buddy, my friend..... you are going to do so damn good... I have faith in you

Fear and Distraction are the enemies of presence, and concentration is the cure.
post #12 of 18 Old 11-16-2006, 4:34 PM

Reputation Power: 19

on buying a race bike with all the goodies. Much cheaper than buying all the parts new or separately.

Then if you want, take it all apart this winter, make sure it is the way you want it and put it all back together. This way you get to build a bike and get everything you need.

"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."
-- Albert Einstein (1941, from an essay)
post #13 of 18 Old 11-30-2006, 12:27 PM

Reputation Power: 16

How many race bikes you know of that have not been down? I think to find a race bike that has not been down at least once is going to be difficult. I bought a used race bike in August. Although I have had to put money into it, it was a good decision and will save me money in the long run. Don't buy the first thing that comes your way, if you are patient you will find something amazing. Traumattic on this site sold his 2003 CBR600RR race bike for $4300 a couple of weeks ago. It had less than 4500 miles, Ohlins shock, DK forks, lines, pads, rearsets, full system, PCIIIUSB w/ custom map, clip-ons, quick shifter, ignition advancer, etc...A steal to say the least.

"The leanest burger in the world, can be the meanest burger in the world, if you cook it that way"

Last edited by Nickelii; 11-30-2006 at 12:37 PM.
post #14 of 18 Old 11-30-2006, 2:32 PM Thread Starter

hey thanks guys. i picked up a 2004 cbr 600rr that is already track ready. i'm stoked, because it has low miles and it's got a ton of good stuff on it.
post #15 of 18 Old 11-30-2006, 2:35 PM

Reputation Power: 19

Congratulations, I'm sure you'll be very happy with it. Just be sure to go through all of the suspension settings to make sure they are right for your weight.

"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."
-- Albert Einstein (1941, from an essay)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Motorcycle Racing > Road Racing: Club / Amateur

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page