How do racers forget crashes? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Road Racing: Club / Amateur Discussion of Club / Amateur Motorcycle Road Racing, such as AFM, CCS, WSMC, WERA, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 07-22-2007, 8:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13

How do racers forget crashes?

Hi guys,

I'm a street rider, however; I'm going to start doing track days next season, starting off with a good track oriented riding school. I've ridden since 5 years old, just never got the opportunity to get onto a track (other than motocross).

My question is this: How to these guys that race, go out onto a track dirrectly after a bad crash? I werecked on the street a few years ago and was a little ancy riding for a few months. How can these guys get the crash out of their minds so easily? It's always fascinated me...

Cheers all...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 07-22-2007, 8:38 PM

Reputation Power: 18

Re: How do racers forget crashes?

This is great question, maybe testosterone has a lot to do with it. I don't crash like I once did but I can tell you a crash today will stay with me a lot longer than any crash I took when I was 20. Remember chicks dig scars and all that stuff... If your talking about pros it's just focus and determination, why did crash? what can I do to correct it? what did I learn? I don't think fear comes into play so much. Crashing teaches you where the limits are and to be the best you can be you need to be aware of them... If you crash and don't get hurt your less afraid to some extent...
post #3 of 31 Old 07-22-2007, 8:52 PM

Reputation Power: 14

Crashing consistently on the track in the right safety gear with run off etc would make it more for a learning experience than a fearful one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 07-22-2007, 8:57 PM Thread Starter

I guess all the safety gear and the safety design of the track (runoff areas, etc) helps the mental aspect, not to mention the odds of survival of a track crash vs a street crash where you can hit imovable and indestructable objects in your path. Maybe it's much like what I experienced riding dirt bike where crashes were very common, like every time I rode; it never bothered me then...probably because I rarely was injured.
post #5 of 31 Old 07-22-2007, 9:10 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

I can't speak for others but I don't forget them and I don't particularly try to. In fact I can tell you exactly how many times I've crashed - 29 :-)
My last one put me off the track for two years.
My first lap back at that circuit was fine as I was too busy to realise.
Second lap through the section where I was cleaned up from behind I suddenly realised and found I was focussing on it and could almost feel a bike about to slam my arse :-)
I realised pretty quickly though and had gotten over it by the next time around. It's all just a mind game.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #6 of 31 Old 07-22-2007, 9:10 PM

Reputation Power: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phadreus View Post
you can hit imovable and indestructable objects
It's the roadside furniture that does most of the damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phadreus View Post
riding dirt bike where crashes were very common, like every time I rode
I think the saying is 'if you don't fall off you're not trying hard enough'.
post #7 of 31 Old 07-22-2007, 9:13 PM
Global Moderator

I probably should add that I've seen two racers die first hand and that stays with me much more than any of my own crashes.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #8 of 31 Old 07-22-2007, 9:28 PM

Reputation Power: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
I probably should add that I've seen two racers die first hand and that stays with me much more than any of my own crashes.
Yeah 100% true, even reading about that sort of stuff turns my gut.. While we are on the subject of crashing and other people there is also the case when see one of your ridding buddies constantly riding obove their ablity. Telling them they need to tone things down can be a delicate subject and a real test of friendship.
post #9 of 31 Old 07-22-2007, 9:37 PM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by .OrgOwner View Post
Yeah 100% true, even reading about that sort of stuff turns my gut.. While we are on the subject of crashing and other people there is also the case when see one of your ridding buddies constantly riding obove their ablity. Telling them they need to tone things down can be a delicate subject and a real test of friendship.
easy for me. If I am a true friend I cannot stand by and do nothing. That said I will stop riding with anyone on the street that does this (and avoid them at the track) as stupid breeds stupid and I have enough of my own.

Must obey the sheep dog
post #10 of 31 Old 07-22-2007, 10:06 PM
Global Moderator

On the track I don't have any trouble with guys crashing (we learn the most from our biggest mistakes after all) as at least they're making the effort to improve their skills but I've ridden with too many of that type on the road and got sick of being involved. These days I rarely ride with anybody I don't know _really_ well.
I'll help anybody that's in trouble but riding with people where I'm just _waiting_ for them to hurt themselves or somebody else just doesn't do it for me these days :-)

post #11 of 31 Old 07-22-2007, 10:20 PM

Reputation Power: 0

It's because they know what went wrong and they rarely make the same mistake twice would be my guess.

I had spills at the track and it stangely put a grin on my face cause I knew what happened and just couldn't wait to get out there again. I'm no racer btw tho'.
post #12 of 31 Old 07-22-2007, 10:25 PM
Global Moderator

We still make the same mistakes but we get much better at them the second time around ;-)

post #13 of 31 Old 07-29-2007, 5:11 PM

It seems as if you got a lot of good advice from mostly everyone that repsponded. I never forget a crash, and I have never crashed in the same corner due to the same mistake. Practice laps, track days, warm up laps, to me are learning sessions. Each corner has it's own characteristics, tolerances, and tendecies, which means it has to be approached differently. Crashing hurts, theres a news flash....wow, that's why I can remeber each one and don't do it as often anymore... Thank God........Good Luck and Be Safe and Go fast
post #14 of 31 Old 07-29-2007, 6:41 PM

Reputation Power: 59

Well crashes are never going to disappear from your mind. You just have to learn to push them to the back, or just make way for new ones.

I learnt that from every crash, you can learn something you didnt know, unless it was another racer that caused it - still you could also learn something from that.

I first learnt what my blade was capable and what its limits where (With out falling down) and then i moved onto the track. Again what Platinum929 said, every corner is different. That is also true for the rider and his/her bike.

Crashing is always going to be there, just make sure you live to tell the tail.

Twincam
post #15 of 31 Old 07-30-2007, 1:37 AM

I think being able to overcome fear is one of the talents that a racer must have, and it could possibly be the difference between a common man and a racer. I often hear of racers riding with broken finger or collar bone. Knowing how much body needs to endure to control a fast moving motorcycle, it is amazing how much determination and control they have.
I've crashed several times on the track, and I couldn't help myself freaking out returning to the same spot at first. But one of the main advantage of being on the track is that you get to go through the same corner so many times that you can build the confidence again. Then you can move on hopefully with a new lesson. BTW, 3 of 4 crashes were due to cold tires...
It's a totally different story for me on the streets. I've crashed a couple of times in the canyons, and I cannot stop myself from slowing down A LOT at the same spot. My mind is replaying the crash scene as I go through the corner, and I cannot stop my right fingers from hitting that brake. To me the crashes on the streets were much more scarier, and hard to get over with.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Motorcycle Racing > Road Racing: Club / Amateur

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page