SportBikeTrackTime - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Road Racing: Club / Amateur Discussion of Club / Amateur Motorcycle Road Racing, such as AFM, CCS, WSMC, WERA, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 08-05-2007, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13

SportBikeTrackTime

Hi all,

I went to the AMA Races at Mid Ohio today, it was rained out, I was bummed, but it wasn't a total loss. I met an instructor from SportBikeTrackTime (Trevor) and had the opportunity to talk with him for over an hour. My wife hasn't been too enthused about me doing track days / schools but after listening to Trevor, she was much more comfortable. She is telling me she is ok with me getting into this next season. Woo hoo!

So, it even get's better. She has an '04 CBR600RR with 750 miles on it. She suggested using it instead of my 954 for track duties. Her ONLY mandate was that I pull all the factory bodywork off and slap some cheep plastic on it in case of a get off. Sometimes; she's ok!

With all that said, any recommendations on where to get decent plastic without braking the bank? Also; for first season; would there be any benefit to replacing Fork and Shock springs? I'm a stout 215lb, but I'm thinking I probably won't reach a point first season were the stock suspension causes much issue for me. Any thoughts on this?

"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-05-2007, 11:04 PM

Reputation Power: 19

Re: SportBikeTrackTime

HotBodies for cheap plastic, but you will have to do some fitting work to them.

Welcome to the trackday addiction. Street riding is never the same afterward

01 CBR 929
08 Ducati 1098

Florida Trackdays

GiveGab

post #3 of 7 Old 09-25-2007, 10:10 PM

Reputation Power: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl-929 View Post
HotBodies for cheap plastic, but you will have to do some fitting work to them.

Welcome to the trackday addiction. Street riding is never the same afterward
On that!!

Suspension will definitely benefit you, especially if you put the 954 on the track. I cant speak for the 600 springers, but the stock forks on the 954 are way undersprung, especially for us 200 pounders. Dan Kyle is highly regarded in this arena and did my revalving and respringing. Best investment yet on the bike, street or track. Ohlins triple clicker is out back next real soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 09-26-2007, 5:10 AM

Reputation Power: 31

Suspension should be the first major mod. However, if you get the suspension on your wife's bike set up for you, it's no longer going to be optimal for her. I have an idea...since she has a bike....you BOTH should go track riding!

Dan Kyle does an awesome job with the 954 forks for around 400 bucks. I'm sure he can do something with the 600RR too, I'm just not familiar with the fix. However, the stock stuff on the 600 is probably better than the 954, so for your first few times, it should be ok.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-28-2008, 12:44 AM

Reputation Power: 12

The stock suspension on the 600RR will be fine, possibly for your entire first year of track days. Of course, that depends on how many track days you actually do this year, and how fast you become. For track use, most production bikes are soft up front. For a starting point, set all fork adjustments midway. If you feel this is still too soft, like bottoming out when hard on the brakes, then turn adjustments 1/4 turn at a time, towards fully stiff. Ride...adjust...ride...adjust...ride...adjust, until you are comfortable with the feel of the front end. For the rear suspension, find out what the static sag measurement is for this bike. Set the static sag. Then determine a starting point for all the adjustments, like you did with the front end. Ride...adjust...ride...adjust...ride...adjust, until you develop a comfortable feel for the suspension.

Because you are doing this for the first time, I would suggest the following. Until you are comfortable with the layout of the track, set all suspension adjustments midway, front and back. You will probably be in the beginners group, because of your lack of race track experience. So you will be following an instructor most of your first day. Your speeds will be kept in check, for the day. Believe me, you are going to have a great deal on your mind that first weekend! Like which way the track goes, being on the right line, determining reference points for braking and turn in, down shifting, and so on. Fine tuning suspension setting, should be way down on your list of things to do, on that first track day weekend.

Once you get comfortable with being on the track, to where you dont have to think about all that I mentioned above, then begin to fine tune your suspension. To better understand how a good set up should feel, do the following. During a session, set all the front suspension settings to full soft, then ride. Get to know what that feels like. Then come in, or do in the next session, and turn all the settings from full soft, to full hard, then ride. Now you should have a feel for the end points of the suspension range. Adjust to what feels most comfortable to you. Do the same with the rear end.

MAKE SURE you bring a notebook and write down every adjustment you make and how it felt out on the track. After every session, from the very first time out on the track, download your thoughts for what you just experienced out on the track. There is going to be so much going on. This will help you keep a clear mind, to process all the new information once back out on the track...
post #6 of 7 Old 02-28-2008, 8:28 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

The first thing you should do with your bike's suspension, track or street, is to set the sag...

"It is better to post and risk reposting than to have never posted at all."

post #7 of 7 Old 02-28-2008, 9:06 PM

Reputation Power: 12

My bad. I did get a little carried away. I agree. Setting the sag should be the first thing done.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Motorcycle Racing > Road Racing: Club / Amateur

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page