Left Hand Turns - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Road Racing: Club / Amateur Discussion of Club / Amateur Motorcycle Road Racing, such as AFM, CCS, WSMC, WERA, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 11-26-2007, 3:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Left Hand Turns

Hi all, I have a small problem that I could use your help with.

Ok so I am a pretty new rider I have close to 3k miles under my belt of mixed track canyon and commutting, the latter taking the cake. Obviously as a new rider there is a certain amount of fear that must be overcome in riding agressively. Slowly I am working this fear out and am getting more comfortable with low leans. My biggest obstacle was learning to not slow down so much in a turn entry. I would be going a decent speed but would always hesitate to enter a turn without slowing down first although the turn was possibble at my current speed. I have all but worked this out, EXCEPT on left turns. I swear it has to do with the fact that I am right handed. For the love of me I cannot stop those fingers from tapping he brake lever even if minimally when entering a left hand turn. There is just an added amount of hesitation with left turns and both have been practiced evently. Have any of you experienced this phenomenon, and if so how did you overcome it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 11-26-2007, 4:01 PM

Reputation Power: 13

Re: Left Hand Turns

I found the same thing when I first started getting my lean on. 1. Newbies entering corners too fast is probably the #1 reason there are so many bikes at the junkyard. 2. With practice and keeping correct body position like working to stay centered and kiss the mirror type of action you'll find that you can get to where you are getting better entry speed. Please practice at the track because that's the safest place to find out you had too much corner speed
post #3 of 25 Old 11-26-2007, 8:42 PM

I still feel more comfortable with rights than lefts (at knee down speeds on the track). It's gotten much better with practice. I hear it's very common.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 11-26-2007, 8:52 PM

Reputation Power: 33

It is a common thing, with a new rider...one turn will be favored. I would suggest a rider school, it will help you get over your hurdle and help you become a better rider overall. California Superbike school, Keith code, or the similar would be close to you.

It's amazing how stupid some people can be.
post #5 of 25 Old 11-26-2007, 9:43 PM

Reputation Power: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
It is a common thing, with a new rider...one turn will be favored. I would suggest a rider school, it will help you get over your hurdle and help you become a better rider overall.
post #6 of 25 Old 11-26-2007, 9:55 PM

Reputation Power: 17

I'm also right handed but it is the other way for me. Left hand turns feel completely natural. Right feels odd. For me it is a throttle issue. I have an easier time with it when I'm turning left than when I'm turning right.

When I was first learning to ski right hand turns felt less natural than left turns. That was a lot of years ago and I can ski any mountain, anywhere, in any conditions and turn right or left but you know what...left still feels better to this day and a panic turn would more likely be to my left than my right. I don't think my left turns are any better than my right. Especially in the moguls, I'm sure there is no actual difference in the ability on either side, but something wired in my brain makes the right turns feel less natural.
post #7 of 25 Old 11-26-2007, 11:42 PM

I favor left had turns over right probably because the consequences on the street are worse with a bad right turn, i.e. oncoming traffic. I was born left handed, but forced to be a righty by my mom, so I'm really messed up, just kidding :-).

I have the most trouble with fast descents, those scare me the most, so much weight on the front wheel. Advice on how to overcome this would be helpful to me. Don't mean to hijack this post, but appreciate help.
post #8 of 25 Old 11-27-2007, 12:42 AM

for most people that have this problem it's the left turn. some of my friends have chicken strips on the left not the right or at least bigger on the left than the right and this was how my first rear tire looked(not calling you a chicken if you have them. they are what they are). i wonder if it has something to do with the extra rotating inertia of the chain/sprockets on this side that make it slightly awkward
post #9 of 25 Old 11-27-2007, 5:03 AM Thread Starter

Hmm, I think a bike is pretty balance from side to side. A much more rational explanation is that the canyons I ride if I were to spill on a right turn I'd end up in dirt, but if I were to spill in a left theres a nice cliff drop. Bu it think it has to do with ones dominant side as well.
post #10 of 25 Old 11-27-2007, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse954 View Post
for most people that have this problem it's the left turn. some of my friends have chicken strips on the left not the right or at least bigger on the left than the right and this was how my first rear tire looked(not calling you a chicken if you have them. they are what they are). i wonder if it has something to do with the extra rotating inertia of the chain/sprockets on this side that make it slightly awkward
Well my strips are exactly equal so I know I'm actually turning pretty equally when it comes time, but in my head the right turns definately seem more awkward and less natural. For me I think it either because of the throttle being on the right or the fact that most right turns on the street are much sharper than turns on the left so it is harder to "flow" through them. But it sounds like I'm opposite of most people even though I am also right handed. However, I would think that the same reasons could cause other people to not like the left hand turns. Think about how differently you are holding on to the throttle when you are making a right hand turn compared to a left and see if maybe that has something to do with it.
post #11 of 25 Old 11-27-2007, 2:15 PM

actually the only time turning my bike is awkward nowadays is in a parking lot when i turn right to full lock and the throttle grip is almost touching the tank.
post #12 of 25 Old 11-27-2007, 4:05 PM

Reputation Power: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Fast? View Post
Hmm, I think a bike is pretty balance from side to side. A much more rational explanation is that the canyons I ride if I were to spill on a right turn I'd end up in dirt, but if I were to spill in a left theres a nice cliff drop. Bu it think it has to do with ones dominant side as well.
Where in California are you?
Why are your fingers pulling on the brake lever? (I don't cover the brakes with two fingers at all, unless I'm out for a very mellow kind of ride)
If you are close to the Bay Area, I can "show" you roads to practice on. I guaranty that you will be worn out after just one pass. It might help you overcome the left turn thingie.

Ride Red

Last edited by nedro; 11-27-2007 at 4:11 PM.
post #13 of 25 Old 11-27-2007, 4:10 PM

Quote:
I can give you roads to practice on.
Could you UPS one or two of those to me? I could really use a good road out here.
post #14 of 25 Old 11-27-2007, 4:11 PM

Reputation Power: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickwill View Post
Could you UPS one or two of those to me? I could really use a good road out here.
There! fixed it for ya!

Ride Red
post #15 of 25 Old 11-27-2007, 7:53 PM

Reputation Power: 21

Another vote for the left turn means you are on the outside of the corner and running wide means off the road.
Except here we are on the other side of the road so its the opposite.

Maybe go practice in a right hand drive country!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Motorcycle Racing > Road Racing: Club / Amateur

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page