new pics of wife riding... sfw - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Road Racing: Club / Amateur Discussion of Club / Amateur Motorcycle Road Racing, such as AFM, CCS, WSMC, WERA, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 06-02-2008, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Send a message via Yahoo to yardsale
new pics of wife riding... sfw

first weekend out on fresh paint... and she didn't throw hers down the track
Click image for larger version

Name:	tosha 3.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	213.7 KB
ID:	29858

Click image for larger version

Name:	tosha 1.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	29859
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 06-03-2008, 11:15 AM

Re: new pics of wife riding... sfw

Looking good..
post #3 of 22 Old 06-03-2008, 12:15 PM

Reputation Power: 13

That was at the SMRI track day in ABQ, right? I was out there. The paint looks great.

Did you see what God just did to you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 06-03-2008, 2:30 PM

Let me ask you, has she always had the urge to ride or is it something new? Reason I ask is my wife is undecided if she wants to ride. She's a little scared. I tell her only on the track. Its too dangerous on the street. Our son doesn't need two dead parents.
post #5 of 22 Old 06-03-2008, 6:32 PM Thread Starter

That was at the SMRI track day in ABQ, right?

Yep... thanks... It the paint didn't even take me that long... 1day of prep and painting, and then part of another to finish out the clear... what bike were you on? how did your day go? have fun?

Let me ask you, has she always had the urge to ride or is it something new?

when we met, she had a four wheeler, and I was racing offroad. I had owned sportbikes in the past. We went to see the 1st outdoor national at thundervalley in denver, and on the way picked up a cbr 900 that one of our friends had... we cruised 2 up in the mountains, and she really enjoyed herself. She decided that we needed to get a sportbike to cruise around on, and In May of 06, she called the dealership that sponsors our offroad racing (ALTUS MOTORSPORTS-check them out) and pulled the trigger on an '06 CBR 600RR. I'd always wanted to do a trackday, so we found one four hours away in Albuquerque, NM at the end of July 06. In August, we both took the race license school and ordered race bodywork... I'll bet we don't have more than 200 street miles on the 600RR since then.

She was REEEEEAAAAALLLLLYYYY slow, but she's getting up to speed, and the nice thing about women on the track is that they seem to be smarter than men... they are conservative and while it takes them longer to get fast, they do it much less painfully
post #6 of 22 Old 06-16-2008, 12:20 PM

Yardsale, I was the guy there reeeaaaally early on the 06 1000rr. You advised me to not crash, and I took your advice. I took the street-rider's course and it was awesome.

Last Friday I got one of the instructors from out there to do 3 hours of one-on-one time. It was even better. I've already got my tickets for July 13th.

See you out there!

post #7 of 22 Old 06-16-2008, 3:04 PM Thread Starter

Kurt told me he'd had a student... I'm glad you learned a lot... the one on one instruction really helps you put theory into practice...

come out and watch this weekend... the races are great fun!!!
post #8 of 22 Old 06-16-2008, 5:04 PM

I'll try. It's hard enough to get away from the fam when I'm riding, more less for spectating. I came out for the last race day and it was a great time.

Are they as starved for corner-workers on race-days as they are for trackdays?

post #9 of 22 Old 06-16-2008, 5:36 PM Thread Starter

yes... we are ALWAYS short of corner workers!
post #10 of 22 Old 06-16-2008, 11:43 PM

So, hate to hijack the thread, but it appears as though you're the only smri guy on this forum. Do you mind sharing what sprocket choices you've made for that itty-bitty track? I can do almost the whole track in 1st or 2nd (chose either after turn 1 and no shifting required until after 7) and have plenty of power. I can get into 3rd on the straight, but that's it. While that's making it really easy for me to get comfortable with the track, I feel like I'm not getting the experience I need and I know that once I get a little more seasoned I'm going to want my bike (or at least the spare set of rims that I'll need) geared for Sandia.

Thanks in advance.

post #11 of 22 Old 06-17-2008, 12:43 AM Thread Starter

both my '03 954, and the '06 600RR are -1 in the front... my shifts are as follows-

2nd gear down the front straight, through turn 1, and down the back straight through turn 2. Immediately after turn 2, I drop down to 1st. through turn 3 in 1st and then an upshift to 2nd before turn 4. 2nd through turns 4 and 5, and then a short shift into 3rd before turn 6. 3rd through turn 6, and then a downshift into 2nd for turn 7... 2nd gear will pull all the way down the front straight and back into turn 1.

I've been told that the secret to sandia is to gear your bike to take turn 3 in 2nd gear, and the rest of the track will be perfect... for your bike that's probably -1 front and +2 or 3 rear... but on the flip side, Ray Thornton uses 1st in turn 3, and he's goin good enough to run AMA pro races...The easiest and cheapest thing you can do for now, is order a -1 front sprocket... anything more than that is not much return on your investment for now...

One of the hardest things I've had to learn coming from offroad racing is that in roadracing, you don't shift nearly as much...

Also... what kind of times are you turning??? don't worry about it too much, because as you get faster, your shift points, braking points, turn in point,... EVERYTHING changes as you get faster... for now, try to use the shift points I just gave ya, and then work out your own stuff for your gearing and speed as you get more experience...
post #12 of 22 Old 06-17-2008, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
both my '03 954, and the '06 600RR are -1 in the front... my shifts are as follows-

2nd gear down the front straight, through turn 1, and down the back straight through turn 2. Immediately after turn 2, I drop down to 1st. through turn 3 in 1st and then an upshift to 2nd before turn 4. 2nd through turns 4 and 5, and then a short shift into 3rd before turn 6. 3rd through turn 6, and then a downshift into 2nd for turn 7... 2nd gear will pull all the way down the front straight and back into turn 1.

I've been told that the secret to sandia is to gear your bike to take turn 3 in 2nd gear, and the rest of the track will be perfect... for your bike that's probably -1 front and +2 or 3 rear... but on the flip side, Ray Thornton uses 1st in turn 3, and he's goin good enough to run AMA pro races...The easiest and cheapest thing you can do for now, is order a -1 front sprocket... anything more than that is not much return on your investment for now...

One of the hardest things I've had to learn coming from offroad racing is that in roadracing, you don't shift nearly as much...

Also... what kind of times are you turning??? don't worry about it too much, because as you get faster, your shift points, braking points, turn in point,... EVERYTHING changes as you get faster... for now, try to use the shift points I just gave ya, and then work out your own stuff for your gearing and speed as you get more experience...

At the end of the day Kurt said we were probably running in the 1:04 range, however we didn't have transponders so that was a guess.

I'd like to be able to do turn 3 in 2nd so that I can avoid having to go to 1st at all. That's just to avoid potential mis-shifts into neutral. I'm not wed to it, but if I can get there without sacrificing it would be ideal for me. I get very frustrated when I wrap out the motor in neutral and, due to my lack of experience, frustration generally results in me screwing up at least one turn.

I am at the point where I need a new chain, so I'm considering a 520 conversion which would help rationalize some of the additional cost of a front and rear sprocket. I'm struggling right now as to whether or not I would be comfortable with all of the associated sacrifices of a significant gear ratio change.

I did turn 3 in 2nd a few times with Kurt and even with stock ratios the bike's mid-range grunt was still enough to pull it through to turn 4. My fastest laps were in 2nd for the entire track.

post #13 of 22 Old 06-17-2008, 10:28 PM

Reputation Power: 12

Just by reading your posts, it makes me wonder if you guys are riding on a go-cart track! lol Just kidding. That surely sounds like a VERY TIGHT track! I think my CB-1 (400) race bike would have a blast on that track!
post #14 of 22 Old 06-17-2008, 10:47 PM

Reputation Power: 12

Send a message via Yahoo to curt248

I thought the same thing. lol.

We maybe forget that our bikes can do over 100mph in second gear.
post #15 of 22 Old 06-18-2008, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

sandia.pdf

It is VERY tight... 7 turns in 1.2 miles... you NEVER have a chance to rest...

The vintage and supermoto guys love it!!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Motorcycle Racing > Road Racing: Club / Amateur

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page