Scraped my shoe - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Road Racing: Club / Amateur Discussion of Club / Amateur Motorcycle Road Racing, such as AFM, CCS, WSMC, WERA, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 08-12-2008, 5:58 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Scraped my shoe

Just looking for some advice here. I went out riding late earlier tonight to some windy roads in my area and was really trying to get my bike low, well... I did.. But it wasn't my knee that hit the ground, it was the toe of my shoe. Now I think its because more of my heel was on the peg and facing to outwards in an attempt to angle my knee better. I think it would be best to keep my toe on the peg and swing the heel inwards to tuck it into the bike. What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 08-12-2008, 7:31 AM

Reputation Power: 14

Re: Scraped my shoe

On the pegs for me (straight foot).
post #3 of 27 Old 08-12-2008, 11:03 AM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

Ride on the balls of your feet unless you are shifting. Gives you more clearance and leverage.

Must obey the sheep dog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old 08-12-2008, 11:33 AM

Reputation Power: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepofblue View Post
Ride on the balls of your feet unless you are shifting. Gives you more clearance and leverage.
you want your toes to be positioned as if though you could grasp the pegs with them (if you boot wasnt there of course)

oh and lean off the bike more....

oh and if you go looking for your max lean angle on the street, you just might find it

-jh
post #5 of 27 Old 08-12-2008, 3:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhonda41 View Post
you want your toes to be positioned as if though you could grasp the pegs with them (if you boot wasnt there of course)

oh and lean off the bike more....

oh and if you go looking for your max lean angle on the street, you just might find it

-jh
Thats what I was thinking about the toes... Do you really think I'm in risk of losing it? This specific spot that I do it at is very familiar to me and when I ride it I just go back and forth on it but theres no spots on the road or anything and its not really high speed either, maybe 35-40 max.
post #6 of 27 Old 08-12-2008, 10:00 PM

Reputation Power: 12

Out of curiousity, why is it you want to find your maximum lean angle on the street, at night?
post #7 of 27 Old 08-12-2008, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptlcb1 View Post
Out of curiousity, why is it you want to find your maximum lean angle on the street, at night?
post #8 of 27 Old 08-12-2008, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Out of curiosity... why not?

Like I said.. well lit, no traffic area with top speeds of 35-40 max.

I'm a poor college kid that doesn't have the money or the time to go to the track, they can do it on round-abouts so why can't I?
Maybe instead of asking rhetorical questions you could be of some substantial service and actually answer the questions I ask...
post #9 of 27 Old 08-12-2008, 11:07 PM

Reputation Power: 12

I see I scraped your ego like you scraped your foot. That wasnt the intent of me asking you what I did, but sure, I will answer your question since you answered mine. That leads me to another question...Do you always do what others do?
Not sure why you mentioned you are a poor college kid, but since you did, I will base my answer around your own words...

I think its safe to assume that you are in college to learn. That means you are attending classes to learn of a career that you plan to base the rest of your life around. In class you learn by reading, and doing research on whatever subject is taught in that class. So, assuming that you graduate, and you seem to be a bright kid, you will be better equipped to make the most of the career you have chosen...

Treat your riding the same way. READ and RESEARCH how to performance ride a sport motorcycle since you are too poor or dont have the time to attend a track day to learn how to do it the right way. This way, you would have known how to position your feet on the bike because you obviously did not know... Knowledge is what you need to seek since you are a poor college kid. After all, thats why you are in school... Doing what others do could cost you, and from your own words, it doesnt sound like you can afford dropping your bike by doing things on it that you really dont know how too...

Scroll back up and re-read your first thread and you tell me how smart it sounds that you are trying to get maximum lean on a bike, at night, and you scraped your foot doing so... I would asked that same thing if you were 50 yrs old and you started this thread by ASKING us here on this forum what we thought of your toe scraping experience....
post #10 of 27 Old 08-13-2008, 12:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptlcb1 View Post
I see I scraped your ego like you scraped your foot. That wasnt the intent of me asking you what I did, but sure, I will answer your question since you answered mine. That leads me to another question...Do you always do what others do?
Not sure why you mentioned you are a poor college kid, but since you did, I will base my answer around your own words...

I think its safe to assume that you are in college to learn. That means you are attending classes to learn of a career that you plan to base the rest of your life around. In class you learn by reading, and doing research on whatever subject is taught in that class. So, assuming that you graduate, and you seem to be a bright kid, you will be better equipped to make the most of the career you have chosen...

Treat your riding the same way. READ and RESEARCH how to performance ride a sport motorcycle since you are too poor or dont have the time to attend a track day to learn how to do it the right way. This way, you would have known how to position your feet on the bike because you obviously did not know... Knowledge is what you need to seek since you are a poor college kid. After all, thats why you are in school... Doing what others do could cost you, and from your own words, it doesnt sound like you can afford dropping your bike by doing things on it that you really dont know how too...

Scroll back up and re-read your first thread and you tell me how smart it sounds that you are trying to get maximum lean on a bike, at night, and you scraped your foot doing so... I would asked that same thing if you were 50 yrs old and you started this thread by ASKING us here on this forum what we thought of your toe scraping experience....
Yes, advice.. Advice on why it happened. Not personal opinions about how safe you think it is or why I shouldn't be doing it. If you want to tell me something about WHY its not safe (that I haven't already defended) then I'll appreciate every letter that extends from your fingers...

But yeah I said I'm a poor college kid... I spend most of my extra money on school so my parents don't have to and it just so happens that the closest track to me doesn't offer public walk ons. So in my head whats the next best thing? Where do I go to get advice from riding veterans on my technique and other questions? A forum sounds like a great place to me..

Now don't get me wrong.. I'm not trying to insult you or make you look bad but I'm here for information to better myself and short non descriptive statements don't tell me anything..
post #11 of 27 Old 08-13-2008, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxsurgeon15 View Post
Thats what I was thinking about the toes... Do you really think I'm in risk of losing it? This specific spot that I do it at is very familiar to me and when I ride it I just go back and forth on it but theres no spots on the road or anything and its not really high speed either, maybe 35-40 max.
Not trying to lecture you Max, but the fact is, if you're on the street there are always at least two variables that you cannot control... 1. the different animals that can potentially cross into your path 2. other vehicles. It doesnt matter how many times you've traveled back and forth (even within minutes), there is always a chance that one of those can bite you in the ass... just my I've almost crashed because of a squirrel and I've recently had a 16 year old airhead almost kill me at low speeds on a road "very familiar to me."

You're a big boy, just be careful

Quote:
Yes, advice.. Advice on why it happened. Not personal opinions about how safe you think it is or why I shouldn't be doing it. If you want to tell me something about WHY its not safe (that I haven't already defended) then I'll appreciate every letter that extends from your fingers...
That kinds comes with the territory. Most of us dont mean any harm by it, just dont want you to make the same mistakes that they or others have made..

BTW, As seen by my avatar, I shouldnt really be giving advice on body position. That said, pick your toes up, slide your ass off and find an empty parking lot to practice in.
post #12 of 27 Old 08-13-2008, 1:13 AM Thread Starter

Thanks jhonda. I know what you guys are trying to do for me and I'm not trying to be disrespectful, I know your all older and have been down this path before. That and all the nice parking lots are tar around here!!
post #13 of 27 Old 08-13-2008, 1:27 AM

Reputation Power: 39

Send a message via AIM to CBR929RE

as others have said you put the balls of your feet on the pegs and keep your heels in. if you slide your entire body laterally on the bike to the inside of the turn keeping your center line parallel with the bikes center line it'll be easy to stick your knee out. you'll find it easier to get your knee out when you have your feet and body in the correct position.

notice my foot position in the first pic, my foot is probably just like that on the other side too. now notice the guy behind me in the second pic, you can also put your foot on the tip of the peg, it can help you rotate your leg outward to get your knee out if you are having trouble doing it with your foot more on the peg.

if you can't convince them, confuse them.

Last edited by CBR929RE; 07-11-2010 at 10:38 PM.
post #14 of 27 Old 08-13-2008, 1:41 AM Thread Starter

Ok that puts a picture to the words! Thanks cbr929!
post #15 of 27 Old 08-13-2008, 1:47 AM

Reputation Power: 39

Send a message via AIM to CBR929RE

Quote:
Ok that puts a picture to the words! Thanks cbr929!
happy to help (plus I get to show off pics of me at the track )

if you can't convince them, confuse them.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Motorcycle Racing > Road Racing: Club / Amateur

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page