Fireblade engine won't rev. - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Road Racing: Club / Amateur Discussion of Club / Amateur Motorcycle Road Racing, such as AFM, CCS, WSMC, WERA, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 09-07-2008, 12:35 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Fireblade engine won't rev.

I have installed a 1996 carb spec Fireblade engine into a 4-wheeled version of the Bond Bug, but cannot get the engine to run properly.

The engine was heard running in the donor bike (CBR900RRT) before purchase, and I have no reason to believe that there were any problems then.
I removed the cylinder head, and the motor is in good condition. I reground the valves and reset valve clearances. Valve timing set correclty and subsequently re-checked.

The engine starts and runs perfectly well, but when it reaches around 6000 rpm, it starts to run badly, misfires seemingly on all cylinders, and will not exceed 6,500 rpm. Back off the throttle and rpm, and normal running is resumed.

I have run the engine with the original airbox, but had to modify it (chop off about 30 per cent) and delete the air cleaner element, so it is just a cold air box now supplying a ram air supply. I have tried it with this airbox fitted, and without, on open trumpets, but with similar results.
I found that the voltage regulator had melted, and replaced it with a genuine new unit of improved design.
The crankshaft sensor checks out on its resistance value, as does the throttle position sensor, which rises/falls as specified.
I have substituted a known good ignition control module to no effect.
I have fitted another complete set of carbs (with TPS) to no effect.
The ignition coils check out, and provide a spark across 2 cm test gap.
The fuel delivery (via Facet electronic pump) is 50 per cent greater than the specified minimum, and I have run it from 1 psi to 5 psi via a pressure regulator.
When it starts misfiring, applying some choke makes a small improvement, but only about 500 rpm. Fuel is fresh.
I have tried running with the fuel cap removed to no effect.
The exhaust uses a home made 4-2-1 manifold made without scientific calculation, but just to fit into the available space, but is not disimilar to the original, and uses the original quiet o.e. silencer. I have also tried a straight through sports silencer.
I am using a digital tacho, but have tried disconnecting this to no effect.

I am running out of ideas now. I guess it may need bigger main jets running without any air cleaners, but would this stop it revving at all? Currently running 115/118 mains.

Any help or advice would be sincerely appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 09-08-2008, 10:16 AM

Reputation Power: 13

Re: Fireblade engine won't rev.

Does it occur at any temp or only when the engine is hot or cold?

Perhaps you did when you tested the coils but have you checked the plug electrodes? Perhaps try another set of plugs...
post #3 of 4 Old 09-12-2008, 11:24 AM

Hmmmmmm I guessing a ground wire.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 09-13-2008, 3:13 PM Thread Starter

I believe it is coming down to carburation. I have a Dynojet kit now, and have modified my airbox to take a cut to size Pipercross filter foam. Experiments will continue.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Motorcycle Racing > Road Racing: Club / Amateur

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page