cbr 900 dying of old age - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Road Racing: Club / Amateur Discussion of Club / Amateur Motorcycle Road Racing, such as AFM, CCS, WSMC, WERA, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 01-20-2009, 7:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

cbr 900 dying of old age

so i started riding track two seasons ago for fun and to improve my riding skills but this upcomming season will be my first competative and one my 900 wont be able to hang with the "new school" varieties. what can i do to give my bike a little more power? so far ive got a full sys micron a little suspension work and upgraded brakes. other than that its bone stock. please help if youve got any know how of 900s - btw its a '95
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-22-2009, 8:10 AM

Reputation Power: 59

Re: cbr 900 dying of old age

Is your engine worn out? Maybe a rebuild?

If its running ok, how about getting a Dyno Jet kit?

The new 600s are well over 100BHP now, probably pushing 130BHP and also much lighter so its going to be a struggle for any old bird.

"Second is the first of the losers..."
post #3 of 17 Old 01-22-2009, 10:05 AM

Reputation Power: 12

You have two seasons of track day riding. On those track days, what group did you ride in? Intermediate or Advanced?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 01-22-2009, 10:19 AM

JMHO but $500 spent on attending a good school (i.e. Pridmore's 2-day Star program) will be more effective in lowering your lap times than adding hp or modding your bike.
post #5 of 17 Old 01-22-2009, 6:58 PM Thread Starter

thanks for all the advice guys every little bit helps! to answer a few questions im currently doing and engine swap from a '96 with 4500 on the odo. in my first season into my second i rode in intermediate but at the end of last season i was slotted as advanced and as far as a school goes i went to a three day school and thats when i dicovered my passion for the track!!!
post #6 of 17 Old 01-23-2009, 12:02 AM

This is no knock against you at all, but to start racing in the big bike classes on your 900, and being competitive, is not likely to happen. You will start off as a Novice, and if you have not attended any races over the last two years, there are some pretty fast Novice racers out there on the bigger bikes. I think a good goal for your first year, is to learn all that you can while racing.

A race weekend is totally different than a track day weekend or a school weekend. On the track for a race, you have to be 100% focused on what you are doing, the entire time you are out on the track. It is more intense. You have to be physically and mentally ready. You have to be smooth and predictable, meaning your lines have to be consistant for the entire race. Being all over the track, and Im not saying thats the way you ride, but just mentioning this as an example, is a bad thing for riders that are fast, that may be coming up behind you.

I got lapped a few times when I started racing, and a few of those guys that did lap me, came up to me and told me that I ride very consistant lines and I didnt do anything goofy. Did I want to be lapped? Of course not, but it was a reality, because there were many that had way more racing experience than I did. You crawl before you walk, you walk before you run, you run before you fly!

A fresher motor will give you more power, but a well sorted suspension will potentially get you faster lap times. As the old saying goes...what good is more power if your bike can not handle it... If you plan on racing, say at a track like Grattan, that track rewards the better handling bikes. It has one long straight and 12 turns, so where would you rather have the advantage??? Once a lap on the straight or 12 times a lap in the corners?

Our passions for the track, in my opinion, comes from the dances we have with physics, when we rail thru corners faster than we thought we could! It is an awesome feeling! An improvement in lap times, comes from the confidence we develop, getting into, thru, and out of corners, not on the straight... Getting your suspension "properly" set up will be money well spent...
post #7 of 17 Old 01-24-2009, 10:30 AM Thread Starter

ptlcb1 - i think at this point that exactly the advice that i needed!! i get really frustrated at times, but everything you said made sense! thanks everyone for all the good advice and wish me luck this upcomming season.
post #8 of 17 Old 02-13-2009, 11:18 AM

No problem. Good luck with the upcoming season! Keep us posted. Goal #1- Keep it on 2 wheels. Goal #2- Have Fun
post #9 of 17 Old 03-23-2009, 12:19 AM

seisack900rr,
Are you ready for this race season? Where are you at with your preparations?
post #10 of 17 Old 03-23-2009, 3:45 PM Thread Starter

im completely stoked for the new season and just to a road trip to vegas for some track days to tweak all my last minute preparations alot has changed tho since we last talked. im no longer running the 900 in a novice liter class anymore because it just really wouldnt be the best experience for me. i recently got together with a local team as a rider for novice class and am going to be runniing a 04 modded gsxr 600, with the limited funds of the "team" i guess you could call it, i had to buy the bike but all the guys have been really helpful with setup suspension work etc. and im really happy with how its comming along this past week was my first on the gsxr but it went really well, it just took alot of getting used to but having my guys there made the last minute adjustment process go really smoothly. im a bit nervous for the season but excited at the same time and am just gna focus on being consistant and making a little progress every time. ive been studying the bike and the tracks alot and am really getting a feel for the racing scenario but its definately alot different than the typical track day. thanks for the interest and let me know if theres any last minute things i can do to help me prepare im a big noob when i comes to racing and im damn prepared to take any advice from anyone with some racing knowledge. thanks as always and keep in touch!
post #11 of 17 Old 03-24-2009, 12:40 AM

Awesome! Sounds like you have a great situation for your first season of racing! It definitely helps having people in your corner, so to speak. For your first season, you could not be in a better situation, surrounded by guys who are willing to help you out with each step you take! Thats huge! Even though out on the track its just you and your bike, its comforting to know you have that support of friends/teammates there with you.

Yes, the racing experience is much different than the track day experience. Your preparation, focus and concentration will become much more intense on a racing weekend. The closer it gets to your race time, when they start making the calls, the more your nerves are going to build. My suggestion for you at this time, is to make sure you have all the little things done before they make the "1st call" for your race.

What I mean is this, the closer it is for you to get on the bike and go to hot pit lane, the less you should be worrying about. I make sure that my bike is ready to go when they make the "1st call". The tire pressures are correct, there is enough gas in the bike, everything is fastened tight, the transponder is on...etc etc. Now when the "1st call" is made, I no longer have to worry about whether or not I put enough gas in the tank, etc etc..

Now my focus is getting myself mentally ready. Focusing on the task at hand out on the track. Developing a mental rhythum of a lap as I am putting on my boots and zipping up my leathers. When the "2nd call" is made, my helmet and gloves go on, and the bike is warming up. When my helmet goes on, I think of myself becoming one with my bike. I block out all other thoughts, take a few deep breaths and just RELAX. Complete focus now is on the intimate relationship me and my bike will have until the end of that race. With the "3rd and final call", I head to hot pit lane and its show time!

You are right to focus on being consistant and making a little progress every time out. MAKE SURE YOU DO THIS...buy a notebook and a pack of pens/pencils! WHY? To speed up your learning curve, make sure you debrief yourself after each race!!! From the time you get out on the track for your hot lap, until the time you finish your race, you will be taking mental notes, even if you dont think you are. Once you are back in the pits, use the notebook to get those thoughts out of your head. Write down everything, good or bad, and most important is to be honest with yourself.

This is creating a progress report. This will let you know what areas of the track or parts of your relationship with the bike, you need to work on. It also clears your head for the next race. The sooner you can get into a routine, the more RELAXED you will be out on the bike. I almost forgot, while you are out on the track, remember to BREATH! You will know what I mean after your first race! LOL

Keep us posted of your progress.
post #12 of 17 Old 04-16-2009, 9:55 AM

Seisack900RR,
Whats Up! How's it going?
post #13 of 17 Old 04-16-2009, 4:59 PM Thread Starter

its going great so far, sorry i havent had an updates lately ive been so busy! im in the process of getting ready for my first real race in 2 weeks, i could have started a bit earlier, but with the new bike i wanted to perfect everything before i got into it. over the last weekend i did track days on saturday and sunday to fine tune little things before racing. a couple of guys that are new to racing too already had some races, most did well but 2 of them went down due to their lack of preparation in my opinion, the more i learn about racing the more i realize you cant just go out and do it, its a painstakingly meticulous process of being fully prepared for anything on race days. just this past weekend when i thought i waas ready to race i learned a thing or two from expert racers that i didnt even notice i was doing even upon my own review and it all saved me lap time at the track. my lines are consistant as ever now and everything over the last weekend went alot smoother than all my track days in the past, and upon getting some advice a slight suspension retune was in order to give me the advantage specific to "my" riding style. the last weekend was a big trial and error process that was about half time on the track and half learning and adjusting theres just so much knowledge out there about the bike and riding in general tht make me a much more confident rider every time im on my bike, i have one more track day and "mock race" this saturday and after the next weeks are all going to be racing. the anticipation is a bummer but i feel like every minute i spent learning about racing has been beneficial. thanks for checkin in its good someone has an interest in this exciting time for me. id be happy to update you after my first race and let you know how it goes im gna try to upload some video footage of it on youtube as well and ill definately send you the link so i can get some insight from you too. always good talkin,

til next time,

-seisack900rr
post #14 of 17 Old 04-16-2009, 5:02 PM Thread Starter

one more thing, it was great advice from you to bring a notebook with me because even at my last track day i learned a ton and was really glad i had it with me, good lookin out.

-seisack900rr
post #15 of 17 Old 04-17-2009, 3:51 PM

Glad to hear that things are progressing well! Looking forward to hear how your "mock race" went! What organization are you racing with? What tracks will you be at this year?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Motorcycle Racing > Road Racing: Club / Amateur

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page