Ducati monster 900 - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Road Racing: Club / Amateur Discussion of Club / Amateur Motorcycle Road Racing, such as AFM, CCS, WSMC, WERA, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 04-09-2009, 9:02 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Send a message via MSN to tiale11
Ducati monster 900

hey all,
what do you think of a 1999 Ducati Monster 900 for a track bike? If you had the option to choose between a 2003+ Suzuki SV650 or that Duc, which one would you pick for track and why?
Thank you for your time,
-Alex P.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-10-2009, 5:49 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: Ducati monster 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiale11 View Post
hey all,
what do you think of a 1999 Ducati Monster 900 for a track bike? If you had the option to choose between a 2003+ Suzuki SV650 or that Duc, which one would you pick for track and why?
Thank you for your time,
-Alex P.
SV650.
Reliability, ease and cost of crash repairs and maintenance, availability of new and secondhand parts, handling and power, ease of resale.
I can't imagine why anybody would want to race a Monster.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 7 Old 04-10-2009, 8:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
SV650.
Reliability, ease and cost of crash repairs and maintenance, availability of new and secondhand parts, handling and power, ease of resale.
I can't imagine why anybody would want to race a Monster.
Many thanks Bladeracer. i am really considering buying an 2003+ SV650S but i was given a sweet deal for the Duc. I dint know if it was a good track bike but from what you said, i'll pass on that deal.
Thxs again
-Alex P.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-10-2009, 9:23 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Many thanks Bladeracer. i am really considering buying an 2003+ SV650S but i was given a sweet deal for the Duc. I dint know if it was a good track bike but from what you said, i'll pass on that deal.
Thxs again
-Alex P.
I'm not a fan of the SV either but of those two it'd be the obvious choice :-)
Why are you limiting yourself to those?
The SV isn't a bad bike by any means but it's not a race bike.
I assume that if you want to race you want to experience the limits of what bikes can do. The SV's limits are well short of other bikes so you can experience them sooner than you might on something else. But where do you go then. I'd recommend one of the 600's myself.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 7 Old 04-10-2009, 4:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm not a fan of the SV either but of those two it'd be the obvious choice :-)
Why are you limiting yourself to those?
The SV isn't a bad bike by any means but it's not a race bike.
I assume that if you want to race you want to experience the limits of what bikes can do. The SV's limits are well short of other bikes so you can experience them sooner than you might on something else. But where do you go then. I'd recommend one of the 600's myself.
I have been having this debate for 3months now. The reason that i am not getting a 600 is because i really want to develop the learn and the proper techniques fast and without too much hesitation. From what i have read and been told, 600cc superbikes are still good enough for experience track riders which means that they have PLENTY to offer.
I am not experienced at all. I made the mistake of buying 05 fireblade as a 1st bike in December 2008. So now, i am really reluctant of buying something that might be a bit too beginner unfriendly like a super 600 for track.
Like you said, i probably wont be keeping the SV for long(probably last this season) because of its limits. A super 600 or 750 will definetely be next on the line (after the SV) but for this season.
(i am really shooting at becoming nearly flawless with my form this summer and i know that i wont feel as accomplished if i use a super 600 because i probably wont even know the limits of that bike before the season ends)
So yea, this is why i kinda want to go with the SV
What do u make of this?
-Alex P.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-10-2009, 6:55 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
I have been having this debate for 3months now. The reason that i am not getting a 600 is because i really want to develop the learn and the proper techniques fast and without too much hesitation. From what i have read and been told, 600cc superbikes are still good enough for experience track riders which means that they have PLENTY to offer.
I am not experienced at all. I made the mistake of buying 05 fireblade as a 1st bike in December 2008. So now, i am really reluctant of buying something that might be a bit too beginner unfriendly like a super 600 for track.
Like you said, i probably wont be keeping the SV for long(probably last this season) because of its limits. A super 600 or 750 will definetely be next on the line (after the SV) but for this season.
(i am really shooting at becoming nearly flawless with my form this summer and i know that i wont feel as accomplished if i use a super 600 because i probably wont even know the limits of that bike before the season ends)
So yea, this is why i kinda want to go with the SV
What do u make of this?
-Alex P.
Outstanding approach to racing :-)
I totally agree with you.
I'm not familiar with the SV but I vaguely recall they had crank problems in the early ones. Might be worth researching whether that is still a problem.

post #7 of 7 Old 04-11-2009, 5:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Outstanding approach to racing :-)
I totally agree with you.
I'm not familiar with the SV but I vaguely recall they had crank problems in the early ones. Might be worth researching whether that is still a problem.
Ah, thanks for the advice, i will definitely do some research on that. Also, as of today, i dont have a 05 fireblade anymore. It was hard seeing it leave in the hands of the new owner . Sad but i think this decision is going to to be rewarding soon.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Motorcycle Racing > Road Racing: Club / Amateur

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page