Track & Street Bike - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Road Racing: Club / Amateur Discussion of Club / Amateur Motorcycle Road Racing, such as AFM, CCS, WSMC, WERA, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 04-17-2010, 12:10 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Track & Street Bike

Hey I'm looking to get into track riding a little more consistently, but I definitely can not afford 2 bikes with a car. Would anyone recommend turning your daily rider (k3 gsxr1000) into a track day bike? If I rip everything out & tune it is it easy to get a hold of an exhaust with a couple of catalytic converters so it can still be bolted on to pass inspection? Or does anyone know an easy way to pass inspection on a track day bike (so I can take it on the road). I live in PA right now.

Is it better to get an early 2000 or late 1990 600cc used & thrash it? I don't have a ton of cash to rebuild a new bike or strip it completely down. I'm also only 1 for 2 on buying good used bikes. The last one clearly had a screwed up transmission. This would mostly be a do it yourself in my free time over next winter or really rainy weeks.

Thanks for the responses. All advice welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-17-2010, 7:23 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: Track & Street Bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood169 View Post
Hey I'm looking to get into track riding a little more consistently, but I definitely can not afford 2 bikes with a car. Would anyone recommend turning your daily rider (k3 gsxr1000) into a track day bike? If I rip everything out & tune it is it easy to get a hold of an exhaust with a couple of catalytic converters so it can still be bolted on to pass inspection? Or does anyone know an easy way to pass inspection on a track day bike (so I can take it on the road). I live in PA right now.

Is it better to get an early 2000 or late 1990 600cc used & thrash it? I don't have a ton of cash to rebuild a new bike or strip it completely down. I'm also only 1 for 2 on buying good used bikes. The last one clearly had a screwed up transmission. This would mostly be a do it yourself in my free time over next winter or really rainy weeks.

I have always kept my race bikes licenced and keep riding them on the road between races. You don't need to remove much to be race legal.
My '90 GSXR750 I used to ride to the track, remove the lights, etc and race it all day, then ride it home again. A mate was doing the same thing with his '97 GSXR600 back in '03 and '04. And I have done the same with my '98 GSXR750.
With the 929 I made a removable CBR250RR headlight that simply slots into the race fairing. The front indicators just velcro to the sides and the tail lights and plate are all mounted on a cut-down EX250 rear guard that simply cable-ties or bolts up to the underside of the tail unit.
I licenced the 929 with a high-mount LeoVince half-system with no trouble at all.
I don't know what is involved in your testing but it would only be once a year wouldn't it? If I'm licencing a bike (or car) I go right through it beforehand anyway so swapping the exhaust system back wouldn't be a big deal.
I'm a fan of racing what you ride on the road due to the confidence and familiarity you already have with the bike. But it all comes down to how happy you are with potentially crashing it. For me, crashing is part of riding hard so I have no qualms about it. Real racebikes have crash damage :-)
I _strongly_ recommend running race plastics though and replacing or protecting the stator cover is well worth while.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 4 Old 04-17-2010, 7:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood169 View Post

For 8 years I switched my 954 from street to track, and I am going to do it with the K6 1000 I just got too. In NY there is no emissions test for inspection I am not sure about PA, but there is no reason for catalytic converters. I drilled and saftey wired all the necessary bolts, but you don't need that for just track days. I would just get some race bodywork and switch it up for wherever it is you are riding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 04-17-2010, 10:47 AM
Administrator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

If you track it, just be willing to accept the fact that you may crash it...

"It is better to post and risk reposting than to have never posted at all."

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Motorcycle Racing > Road Racing: Club / Amateur

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page