Ok Suspension K-tech vs Ohlins !!!!! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Road Racing: Club / Amateur Discussion of Club / Amateur Motorcycle Road Racing, such as AFM, CCS, WSMC, WERA, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2012, 4:55 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Ok Suspension K-tech vs Ohlins !!!!!

Ok so i am by no means a top of the pack kind of guy but still i have been doing research for a couple of days now trying to figure out what cartridge kit to go with and why. So far im looking at K-Tech 20mm dds, Ohlins 25mm, or Ak-20's. Now With that being said i hear alot of good things about K-tech over ohlins and 20mm being better the 25 because they provide better feedback. now what i need to know is why? also im open to other suggestions. i figured this would be the best place to ask. so lets get this thing going.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2012, 8:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 17

Re: Ok Suspension K-tech vs Ohlins !!!!!

I'm interested in this as well, I've just ordered Ohlins for the rear and was interested to know what's the best for the front??
Old 02-20-2012, 9:12 AM Thread Starter

Well I went with the k-tech 25mm ssk cartridge kit and just got back from willow springs yesterday and it's amazing how good they feel I was able tondial them in very quickly. My rear ohlins hasn't come in yet but with the way that k-tech front handled i might just order a k-tech rear shock too. I'll write a review about that front and I spent alot of time looking at options to upgrade so if you want pm me and I'll let you know what I found out so you don't have to go through the hassle. It's especially hard to upgrade now that everything for 04/07 is pretty much discontinued
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2012, 10:04 AM

Does it make any difference if you mix n match between Ohlins and K Tech as in your case, both are top of the range suspension systems??

I would imagine mixing budget and Ohlins might make a difference more so than similar specked stuff…
Old 02-20-2012, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

IMO it doesn't make a difference I mean I'm still on a stock rear cuz my shock hasn't arrived yet. And the bike feels great I also have alot of friends that run racetech front set ups with ohlins rear. With stuff like that it's all about set up and your personal preference. As far as budgets go ohlins are def cheaper not quality wise just price before anyone gets all fired up lol personally inhale ridden on ohlins fronts before and has why I opted to try tr k-techs and IMO I like them alot better. But they aren't the only two brands out there I mean I know a bunch of people that do just fine on racetech or ak-20s which I hear are awesome. But If you go ohlins try and find some r&t forks off someone and install the superbikes internals they feel great.
Old 02-20-2012, 7:28 PM

Reputation Power: 59

Personally, I love my ohlins cartridges and TTX shock.

I would compare the Ohlins to the K-techs if you cant ride them back to back..

James Taylor
Old 02-20-2012, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

i agree. i have ridden my buddies with ohlins cartridges but not back to back with my k-techs i actually read the reply and got on my ape with full ohlins and then the honda with the k-techs went on a nice ride with both of them and i still prefer the k-techs but now the wheels are turning and i want to try them on the same bike so im going to buy a set of cartridges and install them in my spare forks and take them to the track and use both of them i mean its an easy swap anyways. plus i need something good in my spare set anyways.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:55 PM

Reputation Power: 59

Yeah if its not the same bike, it is not a good comparison at all.

Both of them setup properly should feel pretty close.

I had to get my catridges resprung

James Taylor
Old 02-21-2012, 10:42 AM

Hey Guys,
I am competing in a local European championship, I got Fireblade 05. I want to upgrade the stock suspension. Could you point me to some good online store for this stuff? I've been searching for FGK 126, for example, (listed on Ohlins-usa as for cbr1000rr 04-05) but couldn't find any one selling it online.
Gonzo, whom did you buy the K-tech from?
Thanks!
Old 02-21-2012, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

I got my k-tech from speedwerks.com I called them steve helped me out awesome transaction from beginning to end. And the reason your having such a hard time is because most companies have discontinued parts for the 04-07 1000rr your best bet for ohlins forks is to buy them off someone or go with a cartridge set up you can also do an 08 front end but you'll have to get an 08 front tire I would just get a nice cartridge set up since you are in Europe already you can just call k-tech direct they make the cartridges but for some reason their site doesn't list it. And if you wanna go with the 20dds set up your forks will need to be modified and they are very expensive but I hear it's worth it. Best of luck.
Old 02-21-2012, 11:56 AM

Hard Racing On-Line Catalog
Old 04-18-2012, 7:18 AM

So just an update on this thread, I have just got my bike back from the suspension guy who I got to service the forks and replace the internals. In the end I also went fro the K-Tech's up front with Ohlins at the rear, now to try them out. I have to get some new rubber before I can try them out properly though...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Motorcycle Racing > Road Racing: Club / Amateur

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in