opinions on bikes for a new (track) rider - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Road Racing: Club / Amateur Discussion of Club / Amateur Motorcycle Road Racing, such as AFM, CCS, WSMC, WERA, etc.

User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 Old 02-28-2012, 3:23 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 08-29-2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 10
     
opinions on bikes for a new (track) rider

hey guys, i would like your opinions on the couple of choices i have.

i'm a new street rider on a 954, and after a month or two riding street i did a roadracing school at the local track. i'm hoping to get more into track riding this year and i have a full set of beat up fairings i was going to swap on for the track(and remove lights).

i'm now however considering picking up cheap track-only bike(a 600). i feel like i would have more fun on a track dedicated bike with the risk of crashing it, and i also feel like i would have more fun/ be less intimidated on a 600.

i don't yet know if i'll get into racing or not, but if i do, it would not be this season. now an opportunity has come up for me to buy a cheap 03 cbr 600rr that needs motor work/a motor.

to be honest i'm pretty tight on cash, but am having a hard time deciding whether or not i should pick up this bike while i have the chance and pick up a motor when i can comfortably afford one, or if i should just ride what i have, and if i DO happen to get more serious about it can pick up a track/race bike down the road.

thanks to those who read my story, would just like other opinions on the matter!
es954rr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 31 Old 02-28-2012, 3:50 AM
 
Join Date: 07-12-2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 2,684
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 59
                     
Re: opinions on bikes for a new (track) rider

I would personally wait till you find a decent track bike...


I could have bought a 2005 Yamaha R6, was a full track bike with a built motor.. Would have cost me $3000. I didnt step up and buy it sadly.


Any of the 600s will be pretty good bikes. I have heard tons of praise for the 05 R6 from many people.

James Taylor
Krazed is offline  
post #3 of 31 Old 02-28-2012, 9:13 AM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 52
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229
                     
Re: opinions on bikes for a new (track) rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by es954rr View Post
hey guys, i would like your opinions on the couple of choices i have.

i'm a new street rider on a 954, and after a month or two riding street i did a roadracing school at the local track. i'm hoping to get more into track riding this year and i have a full set of beat up fairings i was going to swap on for the track(and remove lights).

i'm now however considering picking up cheap track-only bike(a 600). i feel like i would have more fun on a track dedicated bike with the risk of crashing it, and i also feel like i would have more fun/ be less intimidated on a 600.

i don't yet know if i'll get into racing or not, but if i do, it would not be this season. now an opportunity has come up for me to buy a cheap 03 cbr 600rr that needs motor work/a motor.

to be honest i'm pretty tight on cash, but am having a hard time deciding whether or not i should pick up this bike while i have the chance and pick up a motor when i can comfortably afford one, or if i should just ride what i have, and if i DO happen to get more serious about it can pick up a track/race bike down the road.

thanks to those who read my story, would just like other opinions on the matter!

I'm a big fan of racing what you ride, especially when you're learning.
With the cost and availablity of track time it's an advantage if you are completely familiar with the bike so you can just concentrate on the riding. My racebikes always remained registered and I rode them on the road between races.
Depending on how you're riding I wouldn't consider the track being any greater risk of crashing than you already have on the road. And on the track, the damage is likely to be considerably less as well.
Of course, on the road the bike may be covered by insurance if you have it.
Some basic precautions like non-folding footpegs, crash knobs on the engine mounts and axles, heavy-duty stator cover, short levers and removing anything that isn't required can significantly reduce the costs of crashing.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 31 Old 02-28-2012, 7:19 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 08-29-2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 10
     
Re: opinions on bikes for a new (track) rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazed View Post
I would personally wait till you find a decent track bike...


I could have bought a 2005 Yamaha R6, was a full track bike with a built motor.. Would have cost me $3000. I didnt step up and buy it sadly.


Any of the 600s will be pretty good bikes. I have heard tons of praise for the 05 R6 from many people.
it's an 03 600rr, race bodywork, gearing suitable for our track, all safety wired etc as needed for local regulations. he's asking $1900, there's tonnes of guaranteed motors on ebay for < $1k shipped, and i'd be doing the work myself.

SOO tempting, but i think i've pretty much decided. i still have money to put towards safety(have a new snell 2010 helmet as required this year, one piece leathers, leather gauntlet style gloves already), i still need boots, back protector(what are you guys using/would recommend by the way?) i'm pretty interested in the A*'s track vest, and i shoulddddd probably get new tires, in the name of safety of course , looking at the dunlop sportmax Q2's.

plus i still owe about $15k on my truck , open loan so would like to pay that off early to avoid paying all of the interest! hey! just thought why not look at it like this!- the money i'll save on not paying all of the interest will be nearly the cost of a track bike!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
I'm a big fan of racing what you ride, especially when you're learning.
With the cost and availablity of track time it's an advantage if you are completely familiar with the bike so you can just concentrate on the riding. My racebikes always remained registered and I rode them on the road between races.
Depending on how you're riding I wouldn't consider the track being any greater risk of crashing than you already have on the road. And on the track, the damage is likely to be considerably less as well.
Of course, on the road the bike may be covered by insurance if you have it.
Some basic precautions like non-folding footpegs, crash knobs on the engine mounts and axles, heavy-duty stator cover, short levers and removing anything that isn't required can significantly reduce the costs of crashing.
i can't see there being a huge difference in feel between a 02 954rr and a 03 600rr, but two of the exact same bikes could even feel different so you never know

depending on how i'm riding? as in slow on the track, or fast on the street? i'm very conservative on the street, it's a very love-hate thing for me. i love riding, hate public roads, other drivers, and hate getting in trouble . that's part of why i'm considering this, i was honestly thinking about getting a trackbike and possibly even getting rid of my streetbike. not to mention insurance is >$2k for ~6 months on our crappy roads!

i think i'm pretty decided on just riding my bike until i see how into roadracing i get and can then buy a race bike if i want to down the road when i'm more comfortable financially.


as far as precautions, i plan on swapping to my spare beat up bodywork and removing all lights in the process for track weekends. i bought the bike with aluminum frame sliders but am going to order some delrin material sliders.
i have some decently sized swingarm spools/sliders, would you recommend getting axle sliders as well?
do you mean to say solid footpegs > folding as far as minimizing crash damage? i would have thought they'd tend to grab more than slide and potentially cause more damage by flipping/tumbling the bike? remember i plan on running different bodywork that i wouldn't care too much if they got rashed. the nose and tail i got with the bike, the sides i got for like $80 shipped i think with all tabs intact!

stator cover seem to be a big one! but i am unable to find any aftermarket covers with a slider plate which i'd like(like the woodcraft covers). do the 954 and 929 run the same stator cover? what are you running?

as far as levers, my bike already has aftermarket clip on so the bar could easily be replaced, and i have standard levers and would have no problem with them getting broken. (excuse to get shortys! )

i am probably going to pick up a track capable street tire as my rear is getting pretty worn, as mentioned above i'm looking at the dunlop sportmax Q2's. would you recommend just running street tires until i start dropping my lap times? or should i pick up a spare set of rims to mount some track DOT's like the dunlop 209's or 211's?

as far as modifications go, would you recommend gearing down my bike at all? or would the additional torque to the ground hinder more than help a new rider on a big bike? the track is a pretty slow, techical track.

thanks for the input guys, this kept me up all night(literally )

Last edited by es954rr; 02-28-2012 at 7:28 PM.
es954rr is offline  
post #5 of 31 Old 02-28-2012, 7:36 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 08-29-2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 10
     
Re: opinions on bikes for a new (track) rider

here's a pic of her!
you can see the spools are pretty close to the rear axle. i imagine with the side exhausts they can get pretty beat up in a crash! btw, the two bros slip on sounds GREAT!

es954rr is offline  
post #6 of 31 Old 02-28-2012, 7:49 PM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 52
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229
                     
Re: opinions on bikes for a new (track) rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by es954rr View Post
it's an 03 600rr, race bodywork, gearing suitable for our track, all safety wired etc as needed for local regulations. he's asking $1900, there's tonnes of guaranteed motors on ebay for < $1k shipped, and i'd be doing the work myself.

SOO tempting, but i think i've pretty much decided. i still have money to put towards safety(have a new snell 2010 helmet as required this year, one piece leathers, leather gauntlet style gloves already), i still need boots, back protector(what are you guys using/would recommend by the way?) i'm pretty interested in the A*'s track vest, and i shoulddddd probably get new tires, in the name of safety of course , looking at the dunlop sportmax Q2's.

plus i still owe about $15k on my truck , open loan so would like to pay that off early to avoid paying all of the interest! hey! just thought why not look at it like this!- the money i'll save on not paying all of the interest will be nearly the cost of a track bike!

i can't see there being a huge difference in feel between a 02 954rr and a 03 600rr, but two of the exact same bikes could even feel different so you never know

depending on how i'm riding? as in slow on the track, or fast on the street? i'm very conservative on the street, it's a very love-hate thing for me. i love riding, hate public roads, other drivers, and hate getting in trouble . that's part of why i'm considering this, i was honestly thinking about getting a trackbike and possibly even getting rid of my streetbike. not to mention insurance is >$2k for ~6 months on our crappy roads!

i think i'm pretty decided on just riding my bike until i see how into roadracing i get and can then buy a race bike if i want to down the road when i'm more comfortable financially.


as far as precautions, i plan on swapping to my spare beat up bodywork and removing all lights in the process for track weekends. i bought the bike with aluminum frame sliders but am going to order some delrin material sliders.
i have some decently sized swingarm spools/sliders, would you recommend getting axle sliders as well?
do you mean to say solid footpegs > folding as far as minimizing crash damage? i would have thought they'd tend to grab more than slide and potentially cause more damage by flipping/tumbling the bike? remember i plan on running different bodywork that i wouldn't care too much if they got rashed. the nose and tail i got with the bike, the sides i got for like $80 shipped i think with all tabs intact!

stator cover seem to be a big one! but i am unable to find any aftermarket covers with a slider plate which i'd like(like the woodcraft covers). do the 954 and 929 run the same stator cover? what are you running?

as far as levers, my bike already has aftermarket clip on so the bar could easily be replaced, and i have standard levers and would have no problem with them getting broken. (excuse to get shortys! )

i am probably going to pick up a track capable street tire as my rear is getting pretty worn, as mentioned above i'm looking at the dunlop sportmax Q2's. would you recommend just running street tires until i start dropping my lap times? or should i pick up a spare set of rims to mount some track DOT's like the dunlop 209's or 211's?

thanks for the input guys, this kept me up all night(literally )

Sounds like a reasonable deal but I don't know what an '03 600RR in good licenced road condition goes for in your area.
I wear an armoured vest under my leathers with built-in back protector.

On the road the difference between a 954 and a 600RR might not be much, but on the track you ride them differently. The 954 is more point and squirt, the 600 is more about retaining corner speed.

If you're not riding aggressively on the street then you're probably more likely to crash there than on the track. You will find that the higher concentration level will make you safer.

You have looked into the costs involved in racing and track days I take it? I work on an average of about $1000 per day although it can vary depending on how many days you do. Basically, if I plan to do ten race days in a season I figure on spending $10K - on top of buying the bike and my riding gear. That's just keeping to local circuits which might sometimes require one-night accommodation, once you start travelling longer distances then the costs increase.

If you're going to race you will need a sealed belly pan.

Ideally, you will want your crashes to be low-sides where the bike should just slide off the circuit. Car circuits sometimes have bloody great curbs though that can really mess up bikes. The solid pegs just act as sliders to keep the rest of the bike off the ground. Swingarm spools aren't usually very strongly attached, but if yours are then they should be okay.

I just made protectors out of 5mm aluminium plate bolted over the stator and clutch covers with rubber between the two.

No, the 929/954 don't run the same OEM cover. It may be that some aftermarket manufacturers though put both stator bolt patterns in them to allow them to interchange though.

I just cut my OEM levers and weld the balls back on. It helps to keep them intact in a crash.

I would just run whatever tyres you run on the road. You will burn them up so fast that you will be able to try lots and lots of different tyres. Then you will either find that you only do well on a few types, or you have no preference at all. I don't care what tyres I'm running and have raced on touring rubber.

I wouldn't bother with spare wheels right away. Those sorts of costs can wait until you're committed to the game. The more expensive you make your first season, the more likely you are to decide not to continue :-)

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #7 of 31 Old 02-29-2012, 2:20 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 08-29-2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 10
     
Re: opinions on bikes for a new (track) rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Sounds like a reasonable deal but I don't know what an '03 600RR in good licenced road condition goes for in your area.
I wear an armoured vest under my leathers with built-in back protector.

On the road the difference between a 954 and a 600RR might not be much, but on the track you ride them differently. The 954 is more point and squirt, the 600 is more about retaining corner speed.

If you're not riding aggressively on the street then you're probably more likely to crash there than on the track. You will find that the higher concentration level will make you safer.

You have looked into the costs involved in racing and track days I take it? I work on an average of about $1000 per day although it can vary depending on how many days you do. Basically, if I plan to do ten race days in a season I figure on spending $10K - on top of buying the bike and my riding gear. That's just keeping to local circuits which might sometimes require one-night accommodation, once you start travelling longer distances then the costs increase.

If you're going to race you will need a sealed belly pan.

Ideally, you will want your crashes to be low-sides where the bike should just slide off the circuit. Car circuits sometimes have bloody great curbs though that can really mess up bikes. The solid pegs just act as sliders to keep the rest of the bike off the ground. Swingarm spools aren't usually very strongly attached, but if yours are then they should be okay.

I just made protectors out of 5mm aluminium plate bolted over the stator and clutch covers with rubber between the two.

No, the 929/954 don't run the same OEM cover. It may be that some aftermarket manufacturers though put both stator bolt patterns in them to allow them to interchange though.

I just cut my OEM levers and weld the balls back on. It helps to keep them intact in a crash.

I would just run whatever tyres you run on the road. You will burn them up so fast that you will be able to try lots and lots of different tyres. Then you will either find that you only do well on a few types, or you have no preference at all. I don't care what tyres I'm running and have raced on touring rubber.

I wouldn't bother with spare wheels right away. Those sorts of costs can wait until you're committed to the game. The more expensive you make your first season, the more likely you are to decide not to continue :-)
thanks for the input. would go for $4-5k as a street bike in good shape. this is the a*'s vest i'm looking at, CE lvl 2 back protector:



for a beginner rider like me, am i really going to notice much of a difference between the corner speed capabilities?
a track weekend is $140 plus your personal expenses to do track days. you can join "sportsman" races on sunday for only slightly more(races just for fun, kind of a step between track days and full on racing.)
track is ~45 mins away and they camp, drink, and have a bonfire on sat night

i am aware of my local requirements and that i'll need a sealed pan if i race, but that won't be this year, and we can get away with a turkey pan as long as it's contained in a solid fairing that wouldn't hold liquid otherwise

our track doesn't have any curbs, but the surface is a little beat up/whooped out in spots from cars pulling/pushing, we have to take funny race lines lol.
as far as modifications go, would you recommend gearing down my bike at all? or would the additional torque to the ground hinder more than help a new rider on a big bike? the track is a pretty slow, techical track.

i'd love to see pics of the engine cover protectors if possible!

thanks a lot for the input!!

Last edited by es954rr; 02-29-2012 at 2:36 AM.
es954rr is offline  
post #8 of 31 Old 02-29-2012, 9:07 AM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 52
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229
                     
Re: opinions on bikes for a new (track) rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by es954rr View Post
thanks for the input. would go for $4-5k as a street bike in good shape. this is the a*'s vest i'm looking at, CE lvl 2 back protector:



for a beginner rider like me, am i really going to notice much of a difference between the corner speed capabilities?
a track weekend is $140 plus your personal expenses to do track days. you can join "sportsman" races on sunday for only slightly more(races just for fun, kind of a step between track days and full on racing.)
track is ~45 mins away and they camp, drink, and have a bonfire on sat night

i am aware of my local requirements and that i'll need a sealed pan if i race, but that won't be this year, and we can get away with a turkey pan as long as it's contained in a solid fairing that wouldn't hold liquid otherwise

our track doesn't have any curbs, but the surface is a little beat up/whooped out in spots from cars pulling/pushing, we have to take funny race lines lol.
as far as modifications go, would you recommend gearing down my bike at all? or would the additional torque to the ground hinder more than help a new rider on a big bike? the track is a pretty slow, techical track.

i'd love to see pics of the engine cover protectors if possible!

thanks a lot for the input!!

That vest is similar to what I wear but I think my back protector is higher up the neck and lower down the butt.
I couldn't really say whether you would notice the difference, but at a guess I would expect you would find the 600 somewhat easier.
My expenses include everything spent during the year that I would not have spent if I were not racing. Actual racing costs like fuel, oil, air/fuel/oil filters, fork oil, fork seals, tyres, brake pads and fluid, sprockets, chains, lube, wheel bearings and licencing and entry fees.
And the extraneous costs of racing like repairs and modifications - fairings, screens, spare wheels and discs, paint, aluminium plate/tube/sheet, mufflers, Power Commander, dyno tuning, seat covering, lap timing, Dzus fasteners, other bolts and fasteners, engine covers, crash knobs, fairing mounts, fibreglass repair, springs and suspension modification, additional helmets, gloves, boots, leathers, steel brake lines, engine covers, footpegs, levers, batteries, welding and tools, camera gear, wiring, switches, etc.
And the costs of actually being at the track to be able to race - like camping or accommodation and the fuel to get there.
I would expect for most people the single biggest expense is going to be tyres, but you can buy used tyres from the faster guys as they only use them for a few laps before they're too far off the pace. I always used my race tyres on the road afterwards (even the slicks) as only the sides get used on the track so they still have near-complete road mileage in them. This means that I never ever need to buy tyres just for road use and still have many years worth of tyres on my tyre racks.

Racing on roughed up circuits will teach you a lot more about bike control than riding on smoother circuits, and it's far more fun for me.

Gearing the bike down does not give you any more torque so you can forget about that. I wouldn't concern yourself with gearing until you are running consistant times. Then you can determine what your top speeds are at the end of the straights and minimum speeds through the turns are and alter your gearing to suit. Ideally, you want to gear to reach the fastest speed near the end of top gear. This will give you the closest ratios in the transmission to use (the higher gears are much tighter than the lower ones). If it's a particularly slow circuit though you may not be able to gear the bike that low. Our slower circuit just about hits 200kph at its fastest point so I gear to use fourth there and second at the slowest corner so there aren't all that many gear changes during the lap - I think only seven.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #9 of 31 Old 02-29-2012, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 08-29-2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 10
     
Re: opinions on bikes for a new (track) rider

thanks. and pics of the engine covers if possible?
es954rr is offline  
post #10 of 31 Old 02-29-2012, 11:53 AM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 52
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229
                     
Re: opinions on bikes for a new (track) rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by es954rr View Post
thanks. and pics of the engine covers if possible?

These are on the 929.
Normally I race without the charging system so I replace the stator cover with one I made from plate. I'm struggling to find a photo one of these though.
Attached Thumbnails
May 11th 2008 048.jpg‎   May 11th 2008 047.jpg‎  

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #11 of 31 Old 02-29-2012, 12:06 PM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 52
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229
                     
Re: opinions on bikes for a new (track) rider

About the best I can do right now is these.
You should be able to see how removing the stator cover improves cornering clearance significantly.
Attached Thumbnails
98695349.bcGYYBqa.HCMC_R3_IMG_3588[1].jpg‎   _MG_9530.jpg‎   98695354.lFcWI18I.HCMC_R3_IMG_3600[1].jpg‎  

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #12 of 31 Old 02-29-2012, 2:16 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 08-29-2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 10
     
Re: opinions on bikes for a new (track) rider

thanks. i've seen plenty of pics though of the bottom of the stator cover broken and the stator peeking out, is that just where it tends to break when the centre of the cover is hit, hence your aluminum cover/slider just covering the centre of the cover?

what kind of rubber do you use between? not sure how hot those get. and with the bolts, you use a spacer/ stack of washers or something it looks like on the right side of the stator?

Last edited by es954rr; 02-29-2012 at 2:30 PM.
es954rr is offline  
post #13 of 31 Old 02-29-2012, 2:57 PM
Global Moderator
 
bladeracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-2003
Location: Perth, WestOz
Age: 52
Posts: 32,034
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229
                     
Re: opinions on bikes for a new (track) rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by es954rr View Post
thanks. i've seen plenty of pics though of the bottom of the stator cover broken and the stator peeking out, is that just where it tends to break when the centre of the cover is hit, hence your aluminum cover/slider just covering the centre of the cover?

what kind of rubber do you use between? not sure how hot those get. and with the bolts, you use a spacer/ stack of washers or something it looks like on the right side of the stator?

I made those covers when the engine protection rule was introduced. Then I removed the charging system so I didn't need to improve the slider as I didn't need it. If I were going to do that again I would make it bend around below the cover and attach it at the bottom to better protect against sliding into a curb for example.
Just sheet rubber as from an inner tube. The engine probably gets up to something like 80C at most. Yes, just make spacers out of aluminium tube or rod or stack up washers.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
bladeracer is offline  
post #14 of 31 Old 02-29-2012, 7:37 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 08-29-2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 10
     
Re: opinions on bikes for a new (track) rider

thanks bladeracer, you've been a great help!
es954rr is offline  
post #15 of 31 Old 09-21-2012, 2:06 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 08-29-2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 10
     
Re: opinions on bikes for a new (track) rider

Haven't been on the forum in a good while and figured this would be good to update. There were 6 track weekends this season. The first weekend i only rode the one day, the second weekend i lowsided the cbr the first morning. It was a lame little crash, thankfully the bike was still rideable for the weekend.

At the end of the weekend i rode one of the racer's bike. An 07 GSXR 600, track only. It was my first time riding a bike other than my own, but i was IMMEDIATELY more comfortable and faster on the strange bike than on my 954. I felt safer and was going a lot faster. I could not believe how easy it was to turn! Long story short; i bought it, fixed up the cbr and sold it.

The third weekend i started racing and have been getting faster and faster. When i test rode the gsxr my fastest lap was a 1:09.1. The third weekend i ran another 1:09.1 in the first session out. Got it down to 1:08's, then eventually 1:07.5 was my best before my first race. My first race 1:05.9, my second race 1:05.5.

I got faster yet over the next few rounds and in the last race weekend of the season i was down to 1:03 flat being my best. In my last race i ran a 1:03 every lap from lap 2 through to the finish.

I was racing a class called sportsman, where there's no series points and you don't need the provincial and national race licenses. They make it as a step between just trackdays and racing the full club series. I am already matching race pace with the novice club racers, next season i will be racing the full series!

What's driving me crazy is i ran a 1:03 flat with a mistake out of the last corner... It could have been a 1:02 otherwise! I just can't wait to get back out there. I'm right mid pack as far as lap times go with the novice club racers, so there should be some great battles next year!

Here's a pic of me the first weekend on the gsxr (#4)


Last edited by es954rr; 09-21-2012 at 2:11 AM.
es954rr is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Motorcycle Racing > Road Racing: Club / Amateur

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
race/track bikes gonecrazy Motorcycles For Sale 0 10-19-2011 7:49 PM
Hyosung bikes??? opinions? TattooedGQ General Discussion 54 06-25-2008 9:47 AM
Question for people w/ track bikes tailgunn General Discussion 11 12-17-2004 9:36 AM
BMW M3CSL Track Video with bikes on same track Duke Off-Topic 7 02-25-2004 6:13 PM
Large naked bikes on track ondablade Off-Topic 14 08-20-2003 6:36 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome