MotoGP - why aren't the best bikes being raced? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Road Racing: Professional Discussion of Professional Motorcycle Road Racing, such as MotoGP, AMA, World SuperBike, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 Old 08-05-2003, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: MotoGP - why aren't the best bikes being raced?

is the next big thing for mgp to follow the proton guys and have both a 2 and a 4 stroke?

Crash.net link

makes a lot of sense - and I for one wouldn't mind seeing the NSR500 running at Phillip Island again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 08-05-2003, 10:44 AM

Reputation Power: 20

The only thing that bugs me is racing and qualifying on different machines.

Also, sometimes winning is about confidence. If you're 100% confident with the setup of a particular machine, you're going to go that 1/10 faster. However, even great riders may have a hard time adjusting to to 2-3 different machines per season. Heck, even some great riders complaing about having to ride their 'backup' bikes, which are supposed to be identical to their main ride....

It's a good idea that may be very hard to implement.

Be fast or be last.
post #3 of 33 Old 08-05-2003, 10:50 AM

They'd have to add another budget equalling the GNP of South America to run two-strokes as well.

Race on Sunday, sell on Monday does not apply when you run two-strokes and can only sell four-strokes because of emissions regulations.

I love two-strokes, and race one myself, but four-strokes are back, and here to stay - for the time being, anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old 08-05-2003, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

I agree about qualifying on one bike and running another during the race - but I don't think that's in the scope of the rules? Otherwise everyone would run the down-on-grunt up-on-cornerspeed smokers for Qual and the high-grunt 4 strokes when dicing in the race IMHO...

GNP comment was too funny! I dunno though - if they only ran smokers at 2 tracks, both of them of the twisty kind, how different could the setup be? Not to mention - Proton isn't exactly on Big Red's budget...

post #5 of 33 Old 08-05-2003, 1:54 PM

Reputation Power: 42

Didn't totally understand the thrust of the article....I thought that the impetus for phasing out smokers was an eco & marketing thing....

Also, its my understanding that Proton is only using the 2 stroke to stay on the grid while doing developement on the 4 cycle?

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
"There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one..." - Joey Dunlop
post #6 of 33 Old 08-05-2003, 1:58 PM

Quote Lets face facts: At the Sachsenring the final seven MotoGP qualifiers - Abe (Yamaha), McCoy (Kawasaki), Hofmann (Kawasaki), Kiyonari (Honda), Pitt (Kawasaki), Hopkins (Suzuki) and de Gea (WCM) - were all outpaced by 250cc pole sitter Sebastian Porto.

dang, thats a list I don't wanna be on...
post #7 of 33 Old 08-05-2003, 2:03 PM

Too much $ for the teams to run 2 different machines, won't happen. Baketech is right, emissions is one of the key factors why GP went to the 4strokes, I seriously doubt this would happen.
post #8 of 33 Old 08-05-2003, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Baketech : Also, its my understanding that Proton is only using the 2 stroke to stay on the grid while doing developement on the 4 cycle?
Everything I have read in print, as quotes from KR, indicate that you are correct. And theirs is a V5.
post #9 of 33 Old 08-05-2003, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Pete : Quote (Baketech @ Aug. 05 2003, 1:54pm)Also, its my understanding that Proton is only using the 2 stroke to stay on the grid while doing developement on the 4 cycle?
Everything I have read in print, as quotes from KR, indicate that you are correct. *And theirs is a V5.
Yep, with a 60 V instead of Honda's 72.

post #10 of 33 Old 08-05-2003, 4:53 PM

Reputation Power: 23

You can probably blame Honda for killing off the two strokes. They have always hated the things. Remember when they tried to bveat the two strokes with the oval pistoned 500, NR500 was it?

It's in their culture. So when Big Red shouts the others follow. Marketing and eco damage are certainly factors too.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of mini MotoGP class starting before too long to replace the 250's. Maybe a production based 600 series similar to Supersport but with much less restrictions. So slicks, different forks, brakes whatever they fancy.
post #11 of 33 Old 08-05-2003, 4:58 PM

Honda is avery environmentally conscious company. That is one of the main reasons they hate 2 smokers.

post #12 of 33 Old 08-05-2003, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Proto : I wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of mini MotoGP class starting before too long to replace the 250's. Maybe a production based 600 series similar to Supersport but with much less restrictions. So slicks, different forks, brakes whatever they fancy.
That is coming...

Aprilia is said to be developing a 600 to replace the RS250. That has to signal a 250 changeover to 4 strokes too.

Also, watch forumla extreme in the US next year, there you will see some really tricked out 600s!
post #13 of 33 Old 08-05-2003, 6:01 PM

Reputation Power: 42

Quote:
Pete : Quote (Baketech @ Aug. 05 2003, 1:54pm)Also, its my understanding that Proton is only using the 2 stroke to stay on the grid while doing developement on the 4 cycle?
Everything I have read in print, as quotes from KR, indicate that you are correct. *And theirs is a V5.
Yes...their 4 cycle is a 60 degree V5....

Edit:
Sorry missed ltl's post....

Sith Apprentice
CBR929 - VFR800 - VFR800
"There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one..." - Joey Dunlop
post #14 of 33 Old 08-05-2003, 8:34 PM
TCD

Quote:
Baketech : Didn't totally understand the thrust of the article....I thought that the impetus for phasing out smokers was an eco & marketing thing....
i read somewhere that they had hit a plateau on 2 stroke development. apparently there has not been any significant advance in years. don't quote me on this. anyone have a source?
post #15 of 33 Old 08-05-2003, 8:40 PM

Quote:
TCD : Quote (Baketech @ Aug. 05 2003, 11:54am)Didn't totally understand the thrust of the article....I thought that the impetus for phasing out smokers was an eco & marketing thing....
i read somewhere that they had hit a plateau on 2 stroke development. *apparently there has not been any significant advance in years. *don't quote me on this. *anyone have a source?
Quote Anyone have a source?

Sure, look at the lap times over the last several years...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Motorcycle Racing > Road Racing: Professional

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page