Nicky Hayden To Ducati - It's Official - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Road Racing: Professional Discussion of Professional Motorcycle Road Racing, such as MotoGP, AMA, World SuperBike, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 72 Old 09-15-2008, 8:48 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 18

Nicky Hayden To Ducati - It's Official

As we suspected Nicky Hayden will be riding with Ducati in 2009.

Quote:
Ducati have confirmed former MotoGP world champion Nicky Hayden will replace Kawasaki-bound Marco Melandri as team-mate to Casey Stoner for next season.
The Repsol Honda rider, who won the world title in 2006, announced his decision to leave Japanese manufacturer on Monday.
"We are really happy to have Nicky join us," said Claudio Domenicali, Ducati Corse CEO. "We are certain that his never-say-die attitude, riding style and character will be great additions to our team in 2009."
Hayden will take part in a Ducati test straight after the final MotoGP round of the season which takes place at Valencia on October 26.
Domenicali added: "I would like to thank HRC for allowing Nicky to start testing our bike immediately after the Valencia Grand Prix.
"I would also like to thank Marco Melandri for his professionalism during a difficult year, which was below all our expectations.
"Unfortunately his feeling with the Desmosedici was never good enough to allow him to ride as well as he can. We wish him all the best for the future."
The Press Association: Hayden lands Ducati role
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 Old 09-15-2008, 9:25 PM

Reputation Power: 290

Send a message via MSN to setanta
Re: Nicky Hayden To Ducati - It's Official

Do you think Nicky will get the bike he deserves??

Irish's Blog Page
Hate this Skin
Assalam-o-Alaikum
post #3 of 72 Old 09-15-2008, 9:45 PM

Reputation Power: 49

well i don't see why they wouldn't give him at least the same bike, or why would they give him a better one, the current bike has been developed more by Stoner to fit Stoner, lets wait and see if Nicky can develop his and make it more for his riding style and set up, then let see who can ride it faster they both come from a very similar dirt track background so it should fit him well. Maybe Ducati is looking for total domination with Hayden coming aboard, shall we see nothing but red in 2009?

swaying to the symphony of destruction!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 72 Old 09-15-2008, 11:17 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by setanta View Post
It's not the bike, it is the rider. Rossi has changed his riding style to adapt. Do you think the 500cc GP bikes was like the 250? Do you think the 990 was like the 500? Do you think the 800cc is like the 990? The answer is no to all of them. Rossi has adapted and has won. Nicky keeps trying to ride the 800 like the 990 which is not going to work.

The reason why Nicky did so well at Indy, the rain. This reduced the corner speed of the other riders and allowed nicky to ride the bike how he wants. In the dry he struggles. The rain is always an equalizer.
post #5 of 72 Old 09-16-2008, 6:03 AM

Reputation Power: 13

I see your point but I think the Ducati will suit Nicky better the Honda is all about Pedrosa, he rides nothing like Nicky. The Ducati is all about Stoner, he rides a bit like Nicky. The Ducati also seems to take a bit more 'bullying' that should suit nicky too. Its the best bike in the paddock for him to be on.
post #6 of 72 Old 09-16-2008, 7:21 AM

Reputation Power: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiral View Post
I see your point but I think the Ducati will suit Nicky better the Honda is all about Pedrosa, he rides nothing like Nicky. The Ducati is all about Stoner, he rides a bit like Nicky. The Ducati also seems to take a bit more 'bullying' that should suit nicky too. Its the best bike in the paddock for him to be on.

WRONG. nicky hayden is one of the few riders in moto gp that uses a relatively small amount of electronics. he likes to feel the bike spin and slide, this helps him find the limit. to ride the ducati anywhere near the front you need trust the electronics totally. by this i mean forget everything you can feel and ride ignoring what the bike is telling you, stoner seems to be the only one able to do this. caporossi and melandri are 2 great riders and they couldn't master riding with their brains out. hayden won't be able to either.
post #7 of 72 Old 09-16-2008, 9:04 AM

Reputation Power: 12

Send a message via Yahoo to low-rider

and who will replace nicky in repsol honda team?

i would like to see rossi back to honda but that will never happen.

there is something you said about adapting the bike. if u take 5 persons and 1 bike you will get 5 different oppinions about that 1 bike. so everyone has his own riding style and that style suits some bikes and some doesn't. also there is something about riders dimensions and weight and bikes dimensions. rossi is tall comparing to lets say pedrosa and i think m1 is a bigger bike then pedrosa's rc so... some riders can make slight changes in their riding styles to adapt different bikes but some can't or can but they need time. we'll see what happens with nicky in ducati. i wish him luck because he seems ok like a person. and i respect him like every other motogp or wsbk rider because any of them rides way better then i ever will.
post #8 of 72 Old 09-16-2008, 12:42 PM

Reputation Power: 26

Hayden joins Ducati for 2009

Monday, 15 September 2008
Nicky Hayden has been confirmed as Ducati factory rider for next season, in a deal announced on Monday.

2006 MotoGP World Champion Nicky Hayden has been officially announced as a Ducati rider for next season, joining current titlist Casey Stoner in the Italian manufacturer´s star-studded factory team lineup.
The announcement follows Hayden´s first podium of 2008, taken at last Sunday´s Red Bull Indianapolis Grand Prix.
`We are really happy to have Nicky join us,´ declared Claudio Domenicali, Ducati Corse CEO and Ducati Motor Holding Product Director. `We are certain that his never-say-die attitude, riding style and character will be great additions to our team in 2009.´
The `Kentucky Kid´ will have his first chance to ride the Desmosedici GP9 after the final race of the season at Valencia, the scene of his 2006 title triumph. He has received special clearance from HRC to make the seamless switch. Domenicali thanked the Honda and outgoing Ducati rider Marco Melandri in the short statement
` I would like to thank HRC for allowing Nicky to start testing our bike immediately after the Valencia Grand Prix. I would also like to thank Marco Melandri for his professionalism during a difficult year, which was below all our expectations. Unfortunately his feeling with the Desmosedici was never good enough to allow him to ride as well as he can. We wish him all the best for the future.´
Hayden joins the squad after a long association with Honda, for whom he picked up titles in AMA Superbike and 990cc MotoGP competition. The Japanese factory issued a press release confirming Hayden´s departure, in which both parties expressed their gratitude for their time together. Like Ducati´s acknowledgement of Melandri´s tough time with their 800cc bike, Honda also made mention of Hayden´s own difficulties with the RC212V.
`We wish to thank Nicky for all he has achieved for Honda both as a rider and a man. Nicky and Honda have shared much success and a few disappointing days but in each case Nicky has always behaved cheerfully and has led the team in a positive way. His warm-hearted character has been much loved by all who have worked with him,´ stated HRC president Masumi Hamane.
`Nicky raced the 990cc RC211V with great success but since the technical regulations reduced MotoGP engine capacity to 800cc, both Nicky and HRC have tried our best but we have been unable to find the best balance between rider and machine necessary for Nicky to show his full potential, so we have decided to part company at the end of the season.
`We want to thank Nicky who always tried positively under tough conditions. We respect him for his brave challenging spirit. We wish Nicky good luck for the future with his new challenge. Nicky is a good guy loved by all, but also he is a tough competitor and I am sure he will be tough to beat next season.´

Hayden himself singled out Honda for praise, although he would not talk about the 2009 season just yet with four more races to go in the current campaign. `(My time with Honda) It´s something I´ve enjoyed a lot. I want to thank everybody there, all the guys from tyre technicians to crew chiefs and all the way up. Sure, it hasn´t just been one big holiday, along the way there´s been some tough days but a lot of good days too,´ said the American.
`I´d just like to thank everyone, and the best way to thank them is to put up some results these last few races. That´s the plan.´

Ride Red
post #9 of 72 Old 09-16-2008, 1:05 PM

Reputation Power: 26

I missed this last week.
Funny comments from the article:
Pedrosa threatened to not race unless he got Bridgestone.
Hayden told he was no longer needed after Donnington.
Hayden was told not to even try to ask for Bridgestones, it won't happen.
MOTO-RACING - The Online Motorsports Authority - NASCAR Racing Schedule - F1 - Formula 1 - Drag Racing - Motorsports - Indy Car - SPEEDtv.com

Ride Red
post #10 of 72 Old 09-16-2008, 10:59 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by low-rider View Post
there is something you said about adapting the bike. if u take 5 persons and 1 bike you will get 5 different oppinions about that 1 bike. so everyone has his own riding style and that style suits some bikes and some doesn't.
We are talking about racers.

Quote:
also there is something about riders dimensions and weight and bikes dimensions. rossi is tall comparing to lets say pedrosa and i think m1 is a bigger bike then pedrosa's rc so...
You really don't want to go there as the 211 and 212 are almost identical in dimensions. The 212 is not a smaller bike over the 211. You can find the dimensions on the Internet and on the Honda site.

Quote:
some riders can make slight changes in their riding styles to adapt different bikes but some can't or can but they need time. we'll see what happens with nicky in ducati. i wish him luck because he seems ok like a person. and i respect him like every other motogp or wsbk rider because any of them rides way better then i ever will.
Rossi just doesn't make the engineers do all the work; he adapts. This is why Rossi is the greatest GP racer to date. He adapts and if you are slow to adapt, then you are not the best. If you think that Nicky is slow to adapt or just can't, this is why he is a paper champion. You can't have it both ways.
post #11 of 72 Old 09-17-2008, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanbrown View Post
Rossi just doesn't make the engineers do all the work; he adapts. This is why Rossi is the greatest GP racer to date. He adapts and if you are slow to adapt, then you are not the best. If you think that Nicky is slow to adapt or just can't, this is why he is a paper champion. You can't have it both ways.

funny thing is that less then year ago you all were saying that rossi is finished, that he is gone, that his winning form is thing of the past, that everybody in the grid r better riders (from stoner to pedrosa to hayden to jorge lorenzo etc.). there was even topic about is rossi finished and most of the people said yeah. i said that he is not finished and that he will get back to winning. back then i said that he is my favorite rider of all times. the same thing can happen with hayden. he wasn't so good after he won in 2006. but everything can change. maybe he will be in the first 3 next season. hayden is not my favorite rider, neither is pedrosa or stoner or lorenzo or anybody else. rossi is and rossi was even last year when stoner was dominating and rossi was going up and down with his form. all i'm saying don't be so sure that hayden or anybody else can't come back. with ducati he will have bridgstone tires and we've seen that most of the riders perform much better on bridgestone's. that helped rossi a little. i think ducati is more agressive bike which suites hayden because of his agressive riding style. he doesn't like electronics much but maybe he can adapt to that. ducati is a bigger bike (at least it seems like that when you see it next to honda).maybe he will have there more freedom and chance to participate in changing the bike to suit him more. all those details help a rider to get some points in championship.

one more time...hayden is not my favorite rider. rossi is and will be but i'm just saying don't rush with conclusions like you did last year with rossi.
post #12 of 72 Old 09-17-2008, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanbrown View Post

even among racers there are some bikes (or tires) that doesn't feel right to some racers. u said it urself that there r riders which adapt fast or slowly or don't adapt at all.
post #13 of 72 Old 09-17-2008, 2:35 AM

i would like to see if stoner would do good on hayden's honda with michelin tires
post #14 of 72 Old 09-17-2008, 3:06 AM

Reputation Power: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by setanta View Post
No - he will get a much better one!
post #15 of 72 Old 09-17-2008, 3:12 AM

Reputation Power: 21

Quote:
the same thing can happen with hayden. he wasn't so good after he won in 2006.
Difference is Rossi has won a lot of races over a number of years at different tracks, in different classes etc.

Hayden has won 3 motogp races at 2 tracks.

I never doubted Rossi was the best rider, just last year he wasnt as good a package as Stoner. Did that make Stoner a better rider - no. Just his combo of bike and tyres worked better with him that Rossi could do.

Now the ducati might work for Hayden and suit him.
But the guy has never been a regular race winner, even at his peak on the Honda. So Im not sure if a change of team is suddenly going to do this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Motorcycle Racing > Road Racing: Professional

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page