Head Light Issue on DRZ400SM?? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Supermoto Supermoto discussion forum. Supermoto is a cross-over or evolution of motocross and road racing. In this section you can discuss anything relating to supermoto / motard riding & racing.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 11-15-2012, 10:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Head Light Issue on DRZ400SM??

2009 drz400sm...every so often, my headlight does not come on with key? (i should prob read manual before posting this cause prob something dumb..lol?) Anyway, I can always get it back on after toggling key on and off a few times, but i think the last time it seemed like when I hit the starter button, the light triggered back on?

Something is wrong i think? i will research this, but any feedback appreciated.

Do what you like...like what you do!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-15-2012, 10:59 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: Head Light Issue on DRZ400SM??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordo View Post
2009 drz400sm...every so often, my headlight does not come on with key? (i should prob read manual before posting this cause prob something dumb..lol?) Anyway, I can always get it back on after toggling key on and off a few times, but i think the last time it seemed like when I hit the starter button, the light triggered back on?

Something is wrong i think? i will research this, but any feedback appreciated.

Is the headlight supposed to come on with the ignition?
My ZX6R headlight doesn't come on until the engine starts.

The starter button probably has a headlight cut-out in it that shuts the light off while the starter motor is engaged so there may be a fault in the starter circuit.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 3 Old 11-16-2012, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: Head Light Issue on DRZ400SM??

yeah, thats smart...i was thinking there might be some mechanism that turns light off for a second while starter moto going? when you start it, the light appears to be dimming due to starter pull, but actually it could be turning off and on or something to preserve power for the starter?

not sure, but looked in manual....doesnt say much. the light does come on with the ignition key...manual,

"NOTE: Start the engine promptly after turning the key to the "ON" position or the battery will lose power due to consumption by the headlight and taillight."

section for stater button,

"NOTE: The headligt will go off when the electric starter button is pushed"

Hmmmm?? Anyway, sometimes i can start the bike and be driving and realize the headlight is not on. i pull over and try a bunch of stuff and say wtf and look real stupid before it starts working again. then i just take off and start daydreaming again cause i got what i wanted. lol! im gonna make sure connections good on light and starter, etc., then check fuse box and just look it over tomorrow. next time it happens, im going to be calm and deliberate and try to figure out what makes it work again. i have feeling its the starter and like you said....there is a switch that shuts light off at same time. its staying off. (Sorry so long)

Do what you like...like what you do!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > Supermoto

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page