How to get 12v Power - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Supermoto Supermoto discussion forum. Supermoto is a cross-over or evolution of motocross and road racing. In this section you can discuss anything relating to supermoto / motard riding & racing.

User Tag List

 1Likes
  • 1 Post By BenelliBlade
  • 1 Post By BenelliBlade
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 08-06-2018, 8:27 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 09-03-2016
Location: MD
Posts: 1,059
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 10
           
How to get 12v Power

I want to wire a camera and laptimer to my XR100. Whatís the best way to go about this? Itís got a pretty simple electrical system and I presume it uses magnetos, but Iím not sure. The diagram has a CDI box. I also donít know how much overhead is available to run my accessories.
Attached Thumbnails
930D9E21-3ADE-469B-8DBB-123DD6D58031.jpeg‎  

-My 06 Fireblade Build Thread
-Her 02 CBR600F4i Custom Suspension
-My 07 CRF230F sold
-My 97 XR100
-07 CRF50F son's
-92 CB750 She lets me ride it, Jetted
-13 CRF110F, 01XR50 Daughter's

Because 12,000 RPM makes me feel better
Jaybird180 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 3 Old 08-06-2018, 8:57 AM
Supporting Member
 
Join Date: 05-27-2014
Location: UK
Posts: 445
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13
             
Re: How to get 12v Power

There is no 12v source available. The XR100 has a basic CDi ignition system only, which uses one coil in the magneto to charge a capacitor to around 300v, and a second smaller coil to trigger the spark. You could fit an aftermarket stator that includes a lighting coil, and combine that with a single phase reg/rect to get a 12v supply, but being single phase you'd also need either a battery or a decent sized capacitor to get a clean DC voltage for your application.
IanDoohan likes this.
BenelliBlade is offline  
post #3 of 3 Old 08-06-2018, 10:59 PM
President: Team Full Chat
 
IanDoohan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-28-2013
Location: Connecticut,USA
Age: 47
Posts: 7,106
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102
                     
Garage
Re: How to get 12v Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird180 View Post
I want to wire a camera and laptimer to my XR100. Whatís the best way to go about this? Itís got a pretty simple electrical system and I presume it uses magnetos, but Iím not sure. The diagram has a CDI box. I also donít know how much overhead is available to run my accessories.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenelliBlade View Post
There is no 12v source available. The XR100 has a basic CDi ignition system only, which uses one coil in the magneto to charge a capacitor to around 300v, and a second smaller coil to trigger the spark. You could fit an aftermarket stator that includes a lighting coil, and combine that with a single phase reg/rect to get a 12v supply, but being single phase you'd also need either a battery or a decent sized capacitor to get a clean DC voltage for your application.
Right, the magneto will produce AC, yes? You would need DC, rectified and regulated.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Cafť 900RRP
IanDoohan is offline  
post #4 of 3 Old 08-07-2018, 5:30 PM
Supporting Member
 
Join Date: 05-27-2014
Location: UK
Posts: 445
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13
             
Re: How to get 12v Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanDoohan View Post
Right, the magneto will produce AC, yes? You would need DC, rectified and regulated.
Yes, the standard magneto will produce a high voltage, low current AC which the CDi box will rectify and charge the capacitor with. Drawing any significant power from this coil will cause the output voltage to drop and the ignition to fail.

An aftermarket stator with a lighting coil would easily be able to supply enough for the OP's requirements, after rectifying and regulation. Lots of small bikes have single phase reg/rects so this would be a simple solution, albeit new stators aren't usually cheap.
IanDoohan likes this.
BenelliBlade is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > Supermoto

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2001 cbr929rr loss of power Kylejo Honda FireBlade 7 07-29-2018 7:25 AM
Blade 1996 919 has lost power Ross Mc Kenna General Discussion 2 07-25-2018 2:11 PM
Power on and off while riding chrisrigby General Discussion 4 07-19-2018 7:51 PM
struggling to power up Cwarr Honda FireBlade 1 06-21-2018 2:02 AM
2003 954 power issues Kylep7888 General Discussion 4 05-12-2018 4:59 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome