first track day experience - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Supermoto Supermoto discussion forum. Supermoto is a cross-over or evolution of motocross and road racing. In this section you can discuss anything relating to supermoto / motard riding & racing.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 04-30-2009, 7:57 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

first track day experience

Do you have any advice for me regarding my first track day experience. It will be at Road Atlanta. What to expect? Im an experienced rider but this would be first time ever being on a track and I cant wait.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-02-2009, 12:36 AM

Reputation Power: 12

Re: first track day experience

Good info in both of these threads.

https://www.fireblades.org/forums/tra...ter-track.html

https://www.fireblades.org/forums/tra...checklist.html

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.
Mario Andretti
post #3 of 15 Old 05-02-2009, 2:24 AM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 27

Garage

Ride your own ride... Remember... there is a reason you don't have your rear views. HAVE FUN... The back straight at RA is a hoot... BTW there is a bit of a kink after doing about 165 on that last straight... If you don't get it back to second, don't worry... as long as you remember where the bakes are you'll be OK. My Avatar is from RA. (BTW 165 is conservitive)... Ride your ride.. you can do what ever you want... The esses are a hoot... running a wheel out on the place where you have seen Matt and Miguel can be intimidating but remember, You know how to ride or else you wouldn't be here.

Life always looks better through bugs on a face shield.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 05-02-2009, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

I appreciate the feedback Brett and CBR99xx.
post #5 of 15 Old 05-02-2009, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr99xx View Post
Ride your own ride... Remember... there is a reason you don't have your rear views. HAVE FUN... The back straight at RA is a hoot... BTW there is a bit of a kink after doing about 165 on that last straight... If you don't get it back to second, don't worry... as long as you remember where the bakes are you'll be OK. My Avatar is from RA. (BTW 165 is conservitive)... Ride your ride.. you can do what ever you want... The esses are a hoot... running a wheel out on the place where you have seen Matt and Miguel can be intimidating but remember, You know how to ride or else you wouldn't be here.
Great feedfback CBR! I cant wait to experience the esses at RA and I am looking forward to the back straight at RA before before the esses and then coming up the hill and under the bridge.
post #6 of 15 Old 05-02-2009, 12:26 PM

Reputation Power: 31

What organization are you running with? Most of them have some sort of instruction, especially in the Novice/Beginner groups. Let them know it's your first time on the track, and they'll show you the lines and give you pointers.
Just relax and have fun! Focus on being smooth, not speed. Speed happens when you're smooth.

Bring lots of water and Gatoraid!
post #7 of 15 Old 05-02-2009, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGalToo View Post
What organization are you running with? Most of them have some sort of instruction, especially in the Novice/Beginner groups. Let them know it's your first time on the track, and they'll show you the lines and give you pointers.
Just relax and have fun! Focus on being smooth, not speed. Speed happens when you're smooth.

Bring lots of water and Gatoraid!
Im running with NESBA. The NESBA website states they have CR's on and off the track to assist. Im curious as to how smooth I will be on the track as I understand that street smooth does not necessarily transfer to track smooth.
post #8 of 15 Old 05-02-2009, 1:21 PM

Lot of good info going your way. be sure to pay attention in the classes before the session. When you start make sure you take the first couple laps easy to get your tires nice and sticky and to get a lay and condition of the track. Like they already said don't look back to what is behind you. You will be covering a lot of ground quickly focus on finding the braking cones/markers pick your line and hold it. Most tracks for beginners will let you only pass on the outside. Lastly depending on how many bikes there will be during each session be prepared for a lot of new guys going down. Nature of the beast. If it happens in front of you,force yourself to look through it. Whatever you do DON'T fixate on the poor bastard or you will join him. Have a blast man!! Lastly, there is normally an abundance of experts out there for track days. ASK QUESTIONS!! Also there will probably be a suspension guy and a couple vendors out there. Good opportunity to get some new gadgets and get your suspension set.
post #9 of 15 Old 05-02-2009, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flush26 View Post
Im running with NESBA. The NESBA website states they have CR's on and off the track to assist. Im curious as to how smooth I will be on the track as I understand that street smooth does not necessarily transfer to track smooth.
Awesome, I run with NESBA and find their control riders to be very helpful. Make sure they know it's your first time on the track and hook up with a CR. They'll show you the ropes!
post #10 of 15 Old 05-03-2009, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

I will definitely ask a lot of questions but being the new guy/beginner to the track are the experts (e.g. suspension, more experienced riders) open about providing advice to new guys?
post #11 of 15 Old 05-03-2009, 1:41 PM

Oh, yeah, everyone from the CRs to your fellow riders will be friendly and helpful. At least that's been my experience at all orgs I've run with and I find it especially true at NESBA...definitely a friendly, club-like atmosphere. Feel free to talk to the folks pitted near you as well as the CRs. I've always found folks at trackdays to be very eager to share info. If you ever get to the northeast lemme know! I don't think I'll get to the south this season, although I want to do Barber, and I'd love to get back to Road Atlanta sometime!

Shoot, at one NESBA event I had a CR set my suspension (sag) for me. Then at another event, another CR drilled and safety wired my bike for me!

I always see other riders helping each other out, whether it's helping load/unload a bike, providing tools, spares, advice, whatever.
post #12 of 15 Old 05-03-2009, 8:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HondaGalToo View Post
Oh, yeah, everyone from the CRs to your fellow riders will be friendly and helpful. At least that's been my experience at all orgs I've run with and I find it especially true at NESBA...definitely a friendly, club-like atmosphere. Feel free to talk to the folks pitted near you as well as the CRs. I've always found folks at trackdays to be very eager to share info. If you ever get to the northeast lemme know! I don't think I'll get to the south this season, although I want to do Barber, and I'd love to get back to Road Atlanta sometime!

Shoot, at one NESBA event I had a CR set my suspension (sag) for me. Then at another event, another CR drilled and safety wired my bike for me!

I always see other riders helping each other out, whether it's helping load/unload a bike, providing tools, spares, advice, whatever.
HondaGal,

Thanks for the information. Very helpful and comforting. I will definitely be looking you up if I make it to the NE.
post #13 of 15 Old 05-03-2009, 8:33 PM Thread Starter

Appreciate the advice Stev.
post #14 of 15 Old 06-25-2010, 3:03 AM

Hello,

I got the nice experience for the bike and it was really awesome.

Thanks,
Dave Smith
post #15 of 15 Old 07-15-2011, 3:26 PM

I can't wait till I do a track day. Must be so fun.

Do you think a 2010 Ninja 250 would make it around the track and be fun?

Last edited by bladeracer; 11-13-2012 at 7:24 AM. Reason: Spammer scum

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > Supermoto

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page