Update on my first track day experience (RA) - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Supermoto Supermoto discussion forum. Supermoto is a cross-over or evolution of motocross and road racing. In this section you can discuss anything relating to supermoto / motard riding & racing.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 07-29-2009, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Update on my first track day experience (RA)

First let me say WOW! I am addicted already. I attended Road Atlanta for my first track day experience and it was fun and humbling all at the same time. The advice I received on this board/forum was very useful.

The back straight at RA is great but then I found myself hitting the brakes a little too early coming in to T10. The esses are cool right before T5 going up the hill. T6 and T7 were a little tricky...A couple of times I found myself coming into T7 a little hot but got comfortable as the day progressed. Remembered some advice...Just turn and trust your tires.

In any case I will be returning to RA in September with Sportbike Track Time... Thanks again for all the advice. Keep it coming....I did end up doing newb mistakes. 1) Looking behind me only to realize at times there was absolutely no one around me. 2) The first couple times and at specific turns I found myself getting target fixated instead of looking all the way through the turn. 3) I was pretty smooth on throttle 4) And had set my corner speed up before entering the turn

However, T1 was a little intimidating...Coming off the front straight going into T1 and then entering T2 and T3 blind. Any advice on how to put those corners together?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-29-2009, 12:37 PM

Reputation Power: 36

Re: Update on my first track day experience (RA)

Yes there is nothing like track days. Road Atlanta is an awesome facility. Sounds like you are doing the right stuff. Important things are not to race, just go at a comfortable pace getting used to the track and pick up behind a good rider or one of the track marshals for a few laps. The speed will come on its own. Sorry I can't offer any tips to specific turns as I haven't rode RA.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-29-2009, 1:01 PM Thread Starter

Denzee, thanks for the feedback and no worries about advice on specific turns. At times one needs to be reminded about the small things but most important. Its not a race and there will be no money or cameras waiting for you when your finished.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 07-29-2009, 1:21 PM

Reputation Power: 48

Send a message via AIM to sheepofblue

They have changed it a bit but come out of one and there is some paint from the inside pits going up the hill. I usually aim for the end of the solid line if I remember correct. The top is mostly a timing thing as the marks are just not there as potential reference points are on the far side. So for me what matters is being on the right line to time it.

Riding a motard you should check out TGP and Barber which are less speed and should play to the strengths of a motard more (less people flying by on a liter bike to park it on you)

Must obey the sheep dog
post #5 of 6 Old 07-29-2009, 1:43 PM Thread Starter

Appreciate it Sheep! The next time out I will have to work on my timing through there as I ended up going wide in T3 because I was off line going into T2.

Got any advice for dealing with T6 and T7?
post #6 of 6 Old 07-15-2011, 3:27 PM

Don't worry about it. You're not going to be a professional the first day you jump on the track. You had some fun and that's most important.

Last edited by bladeracer; 11-13-2012 at 7:24 AM. Reason: Spammer scum

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > Supermoto

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page