forks started leaking - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Tools / Garage / Paddock Discussion of Motorcycle Related Tools, Stands, Lifts, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 07-25-2015, 4:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

forks started leaking

im new here so if someone already posted this please excuse me.
I was riding today with my friend, and he noticed my front forks have started leaking then i turned around and went home. Do i have to change the fork seals or what should i do?
Attached Thumbnails
20150725_155207.jpg‎   20150725_155202.jpg‎  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-25-2015, 7:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: forks started leaking

Sometimes.............it works if you have a feeler gauge and slide it up inside the rubber dust cover(be careful when doing this not to cut the rubber), and spray some brake cleaner in the cover while you slowly make a sweep around with the feeler guage. This works if ther is dirt inside the dust cover.

It might work, and it might not. It has worked for me before, but this last time, the seals were actually bad. It's worth a shot though.......
post #3 of 4 Old 07-27-2015, 12:51 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

you can try one a these. they are like 10 bucks online n might be a safer alternative to the feeler gauge. same concept but the tool is plastic n less likely to damage the seals or scratch the tube.

if that doesnt work its time to get the seals replaced. id suggest oem seals or look for seals that are NOK. they cut down on stiction. just dont get the cheap 20$ seal set. at the dealership its about a 225$ job to get the forks serviced. on the bright side fresh oil and seals makes the bike feel amazing. just keep in mind youll need to get the suspension setup after doing it. it wont be even front to back after fresh build in your forks.

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 07-27-2015, 1:50 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 66

Garage

Leaking fork seals often mean they are damaged and need to be replaced. With that said, if they have gotten to the point of leaking they probably have not been serviced at the recommended interval and would benefit from the rebuild anyway. If you have the spare cash this would be a great time to switch out to spring-rates weight-matched to your weight as they will not likely charge anything to install them (over just switching fluid/seals).

/**Serenity**\ 2002 Honda CBR954RR Fireblade

"But risks must be taken, because the greatest risk in life is to risk nothing. Only the person who risks is truly free."

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > Tools / Garage / Paddock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page