Fresh engine rebuild treatment - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Tools / Garage / Paddock Discussion of Motorcycle Related Tools, Stands, Lifts, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 10-28-2015, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 7

Fresh engine rebuild treatment

I am nearly finished with the complete engine overhaul on my 954. I have several questions for the guru's:

Engine break in method? Ive read and heard several different ideas. As a kid it was always "real easy on the gas" for a fresh top end until it was broken in. Recently i read online to run it hard up and down varying speeds. Then a mechanic told me run it as usual just dont redline it or bog it down. So which is the best method? I have honed the cylinders and installed new rings.

Engine treatments: i spent a lot of time cleaning the carbon build up out of the top end. Now that its clean to bear metal basically, is there a fuel or oil treatment that would repell carbon build up on the fresh rebuild? Mystery oil, seafoam, lucas???

Lastly. How soon should i replace the oil on this first go around?

Any other tips you may have will be greatly appreciated.

[IMG][/IMG]

Beyond fear is freedom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-28-2015, 2:52 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

Re: Fresh engine rebuild treatment

im no expert but if it were me. id ride it in varying rpm ranges up to but not over 8000rpm. id do so until around 500 miles then id change the oil n ride it like normal. changing the oil again at like 1500 or 2000 miles.

the only new bike ive ever bought was a 06 gsxr 600. they recommended to keep it under 10,000rpm until 600 miles and then change the oil. that was it. by that standard my suggestion might seem a little overkill as far as oil changing goes but i certainly dont think you can ever change an engines oil too much.

ive heard of these break umm in hard suggestions and that seems kinda extreme to me.

im not sure what the official honda recommended break in procedure is but id think its pretty close to what ive outlined.

as far as engine additives its my opinion its all snake oil.

like i said im no professional mechanic and most on here arent either. if i were you id try calling a few honda service centers n see what they can tell you. likely to get several different answers so id take all the professional info id get and shoot for something down the middle. id also try n contact honda directly and see if they had some insight.

http://www.honda.com/contact-us

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson

Last edited by 954Kevin; 10-28-2015 at 2:59 PM.
post #3 of 5 Old 10-28-2015, 5:24 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 101

Garage

^^^^. Good advice Kevin

I'll agree with Kevin. After my rebuild last year that consisted of new rings, valve seals, rod bearings, and all the other seals, I ran it with Honda's petroleum based GN4 oil. I've been told (albeit "back in the day") that you want the rings to form a good seal on the cylinders and using a blended or fully synthetic might not give you the initial seal as a standard oil would. So I ran mine at varying RPMS, no red line for the first 600 miles or so (or at least prolonged red line ), and dumped the oil and filter at 600. I ran another 600 miles or so with an additional round of GN4, and recently dumped that for HP4 with moly. My old school bike likes the moly, but you can go without it if you want. No smoke, smooth shifts, and runs really well for a 25 year old crotch rocket

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 10-28-2015, 5:53 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 7

Thanks guys. Very helpful. I would have run synthetic if you hadnt mentioned it. Saved me some money. A beer or two anyway.

Beyond fear is freedom.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-28-2015, 10:56 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 25

Nope.
Ride it like you stole it

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > Tools / Garage / Paddock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page