Service recommendation - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Tools / Garage / Paddock Discussion of Motorcycle Related Tools, Stands, Lifts, etc.

User Tag List

2Likes
  • 1 Post By 954Kevin
  • 1 Post By chuckhunter

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 10-19-2018, 5:03 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Service recommendation

Hi again all, well winter is on the way so early next year I'll be doing oil and filter changes plus spark plugs.
What oil, filters and plugs do you all recommend for cbr900rrx 1999 ? Not sure what service history it has which is why I'm starting with the basics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-19-2018, 7:33 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 101

Garage
Re: Service recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit22 View Post
Hi again all, well winter is on the way so early next year I'll be doing oil and filter changes plus spark plugs.
What oil, filters and plugs do you all recommend for cbr900rrx 1999 ? Not sure what service history it has which is why I'm starting with the basics
Any good semi-synthetic or fully synthetic motorcycle oil is good (I just happen to use Honda HP4M with Moly). Use the standard NGK CR9EH9 spark plugs, and OEM Honda filters (air and oil).

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #3 of 6 Old 10-20-2018, 6:38 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Cheers bud I will have a look out for them
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 10-20-2018, 8:19 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

i use the mobil1 m1-108 or the hiflo filtro hf204rc on my 954.

lucas oil semi-synthetic mc oil is my fav. i have used the hp4 and motul 5100 in the past, but i think i can feel a slight advantage in how my bike shifts with the lucas oil. so i stick with it. i change my oil with my rear tires. i get around 3-3500 miles out of a dunlop q3. because i change the oil often, i only change the filter every other oil change. im sure the oil would still do its job for more mileage than the interval i change mine at, but its a noticeable difference in shifting smoothness when i change the oil. to me, that means its also doing a better job protecting my internals.

im not sure what the oem plugs are for the 99, but i use NGKs'. ive never used the alternate denso plugs, mostly because they are a lot more expensive and i tend to swap my plugs well early of the recommended interval. at around 9,000 miles.

id suggest picking up a mighty-vac or an unbranded equivalent. i got one at harbor freight, which is a kind of knock off cheap tool store. not sure if you got those where your at. anyway, get into the habit of changing your brake fluid often as well. i do mine a couple times a season at least.

ill link a pretty informative oil filter research and cross reference page i found during my own journey in making a filter/oil choice. i found it pretty interesting and i suppose when you ask people what filter they think is best, most just rattle off what they have heard or been told, or grew up with etc. so ill include the link as a reference to why i use the mobil 1 filter. there are some other options and some interesting dissections that back up the research.

in general honda is said to have pretty good oem oil filters, along with hiflo. but im not a oil filter scientist. those are unbacked brand recommendation based on hearsay really. ive never had a problem with either though.

if you take a look at the left menu at "how it works and diy" then click on "oil filters" itll take you to the tear down and look at popular filters and why they recommend the ones they do.
Oil Filter Cross Reference
chuckhunter likes this.

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson

Last edited by 954Kevin; 10-20-2018 at 8:25 PM.
post #5 of 6 Old 10-21-2018, 10:02 AM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 10

Interesting read Kevin. Thanks.

954Kevin likes this.

1993 CBR900RR
2001 RC51
1989 KX250- Sold
2009 KX250F
post #6 of 6 Old 10-23-2018, 4:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

You could go with the NGK CR9EH9 or the NGK CR9EH9-IX (Iridium) for $1 more at most shops. Both will do the job fine, but the Iridiums will extend your service intervals.

I've run the K&N oil filter on my 954, but recently went back to the OEM Honda filter due to the nut on K&N not clearing my new aftermarket exhaust headers (Arata Full Titanium, heard the same about Hindle headers too). Can't go wrong with either option, but something to consider.

As for oil, I was running the Honda HP4 semi-synthetic (gold bottle/red cap) in 10w40 flavor. It seemed fine and was rather inexpensive, but around 1000+ miles, my shifts were getting a bit rough. I run Motorex Crosspower 10w-50 in my other bike (tuned 2015 FZ-09) and had a bunch of extra on-hand, so I switched to that a few thousand miles ago to avoid stock piling different types of oil. Transmission has been buttery smooth since.

Depending on your riding style, the 50 weight oil might be overkill. It's expensive stuff at $19/qt and my 2K mile oil change intervals, but if you beat the snot out of your toys, trackdays, etc, it's cheap insurance.

Stick with the OEM paper air filter.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > Tools / Garage / Paddock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page