Using Appliances for Carburetor Cleaning - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Tools / Garage / Paddock Discussion of Motorcycle Related Tools, Stands, Lifts, etc.

User Tag List

6Likes
  • 1 Post By IanDoohan
  • 1 Post By Jaybird180
  • 2 Post By IanDoohan
  • 2 Post By Jaybird180

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 09-24-2019, 2:17 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 10

Using Appliances for Carburetor Cleaning

After seeing a promising Youtube video using an Ultrasonic Cleaner, I decided to give the Harbor Freight unit a try, considering the positive reviews on YT and the HF site. With a 20% off coupon it was $67.

I tried it with Dawn and water mix and it got most of the crud off the carb. Still not satisfied, I took the time to disassemble the unit, as I should have done initially and ran another cycle using plain water. I think I could have gotten better results with Distilled Water instead of tap.

I'm thinking about what chemicals I have in my garage and realized that I have some Simple Green Motorsports. It looks promising, except it doesn't indicate specifically that it's safe for brass.

Any recommendations for chemicals that I can use (and pickup at retail) for the task? Sofar, I have on the list:

Krud Kutter

-My 06 Fireblade Build Thread
-Her 02 CBR600F4i Custom Suspension
-My 07 CRF230F sold
-My 97 XR100
-07 CRF50F son's
-92 CB750 She lets me ride it, Jetted
-13 CRF110F, 01XR50 Daughter's

Because 12,000 RPM makes me feel better
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-24-2019, 2:45 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 731 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage
Re: Using Appliances for Carburetor Cleaning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird180 View Post
After seeing a promising Youtube video using an Ultrasonic Cleaner, I decided to give the Harbor Freight unit a try, considering the positive reviews on YT and the HF site. With a 20% off coupon it was $67.

I tried it with Dawn and water mix and it got most of the crud off the carb. Still not satisfied, I took the time to disassemble the unit, as I should have done initially and ran another cycle using plain water. I think I could have gotten better results with Distilled Water instead of tap.

I'm thinking about what chemicals I have in my garage and realized that I have some Simple Green Motorsports. It looks promising, except it doesn't indicate specifically that it's safe for brass.

Any recommendations for chemicals that I can use (and pickup at retail) for the task? Sofar, I have on the list:

Krud Kutter
I used to use the regular green Simple Green, then a friend told me it may mar bare aluminum if not totally cleaned and dried off. So I went to the purple one here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	4243005B-B798-4247-A891-6F9FD4FBCD8F.jpeg
Views:	7
Size:	3.35 MB
ID:	94810

I would give it a shot........if I had an ultrasonic cleaner. Iíve used this cleaner in everything from car rims to engine bays, to Red Rocker. No issues that Iíve found. Toss some old brass in that you have lying around (you must have something ) and see what it does.

I think youíll be ok.

Back in the 90ís we had some stuff in our carb clean tank at work that would peel skin and was warm to the touch. It was FANTASTIC!, but I think it killed people so we had to stop using it
Duncan893 likes this.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Cafť 900RRP
post #3 of 5 Old 10-01-2019, 9:03 PM Thread Starter

I wrote to Simple green and here's the email and response:
Quote:
I recently purchased an ultrasonic cleaner after seeing YouTube videos of others using it. I have some Simple Green Motorsports formula and wanted your input on if itís safe to use on the brass parts of my sons dirtbike carburetor in the ultrasonic cleaner. One youtuber used a different formula. Hereís the video https://youtu.be/yVfBVcWS3-Q Which product is better for my intended use?

Good Morning,

Thank you for contacting Sunshine Makers, Inc., the makers of Simple Green cleaning products.

Thank you for sharing that video with us. The product that he is using, while safe on aluminum, is not a heavy duty degreaser or even a medium strength cleaner. Simple Green d Pro 3 PLUS is primarily only for killing germs on a surface after it has already been cleaned. While it is great that it works well enough in the video, but it is not being used appropriately. As an EPA registered disinfectant, Simple Green d Pro 3 PLUS must be diluted 1:64 in all uses, not at a 50/50 mixture as the video instructs.

A much more appropriate product to be using would be Simple Green PRO HD, which is available at Home Depot and Lowes. Itís got a corrosion inhibitor protecting metals, rubbers, and plastics when used anywhere from full strength up to a 1:13 dilution.

That said, Simple Green Motorsports is a ready-to-use product and a 1:3 dilution of Simple Green Pro HD (with a different colorant).
Motorsports would be great to use in this type of application and will be safe on cleaning brass. Please note, as a ready to use, you can only dilute it a little bit further otherwise the corrosion inhibitor will be too diluted out. I would recommend no more than another 1:2 dilution of the Motorsports if you want to stretch out the liquid a little bit further.

Please note : the corrosion inhibitor only works while the entire product is submerged in the fluid, and does not leave a protectant on the material once it has been rinsed. Any parts that are exposed to the air can still potentially corrode and should be treated with a protectant as soon as possible.

If there is anything more I can assist you with, please let me know.
Sincerely,
Laura Lorincz
IanDoohan likes this.

-My 07 CRF230F sold
-My 97 XR100
-07 CRF50F son's

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 10-01-2019, 9:50 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 731 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird180 View Post
I wrote to Simple green and here's the email and response:

lol I had to look back at my pic and make sure I wasn't using what she didn't recommend!
Jaybird180 and Duncan893 like this.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Cafť 900RRP
post #5 of 5 Old 10-01-2019, 9:57 PM Thread Starter

I read it again and thought her math was a bit off...that the Motorsports could be diluted a further 4.25 parts to match the HD Pro product's diluted strength at 1:13, since they're the same product just with different colorant.

Although the new carburetor has arrived, I'll have to order another throttle cable (unless I can save the one I found in the parts bin...second thought- I'll order one anyhow) in the meantime, I'll make another attempt at cleaning the old carburetor. At least I can get a decent science experiment out of it for minimal costs - LoL
IanDoohan and Duncan893 like this.

-My 07 CRF230F sold
-My 97 XR100
-07 CRF50F son's

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > Tools / Garage / Paddock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page