Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org banner

Reviving my ‘99 900rr, need help

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  4sNO 
#1 ·
Hi guys! I’m new to the forum as life and kids happened few years back and I let both of my 900rr’s sit for 5 and 13 years without touching them. I’ve recently took the carbs off the one that was sitting for 5 years and was horrified by what I’ve found. Diaphragms are gone, jests are gunked up, pretty much anything rubber is done. Where do you guys get your parts from? I’ve checked Honda and it’s “unavailable “ ... I really need your help, please.... I almost feel ashamed to neglect them to that point... can you send me some links with part suppliers that you use? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Re: Reviving my ‘99 900rr, need help

Hi and welcome.

It would help if we know where you are because that will affect both prices and shipping.

The bikes appear USA models, but nevertheless, the best in the UK/Euro zone is David Silver Spares:
https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/

Might well be worth a look.:wink

(As a side note, this is a warning to other to drain fuels before long-term storage)

#3 ·
Hi Nigelrb, yes you’re correct I’m in Chicago, US. If you don’t know about any places in US I’ll just pay the extra shipping, no problemo. I’m desperate at this point to get them going again. What about forks and engine seals? Do you think those are ok?

#4 ·

. . . What about forks and engine seals? Do you think those are ok?
Fork seals can/will deteriorate without use. They rely on a smear of fork oil to keep them from turning brittle. On the other hand though, products made in the earlier era were more resilient than today's parts. On that basis you'd be wise to smear the forks with WD40 or similar while pushing the bikes around in your garage and especially before riding. Then just monitor. I wouldn't hold too much hope for the 13 yr stored bike though. You should be able to get an idea of the oil seals' condition by prising off the dust seals.

As for engine, the bottom end might be alright, but this is conditional upon how much condensation the bikes have attracted during their storage period. Dropping the oil might give you an idea. Again, for the 13 year bike, valve stem seals would be a concern.

One trick from the past is to squeeze a few drops of two-stroke oil into the cylinders (via spark plug holes) before starting. Sure, it will be a tad smokey, but a good initial upper cylinder lube.

#5 ·
You’re absolutely right, I’ve drained the oil and it looks black but no foam or water in it. I will have to rebuild the head as I can see the valve stems and two of them have rust on them probably caused by deteriorating gas. My only concern is parts availability, two of diaphragms in the carbs as well as the fuel valve are gone. Do you have any experience with China parts? Those are the only replacement parts that I see on Ebay. Also since I’ll be in the head I will go through the valve adjustment, any idea where I can find the shims and fork seals? Engine seals are not a problem since I can use gasket maker.

#6 ·

Whilst some are critical of China parts, I've never had a problem with the very few I've used. But you are almost in the position where it's China or nothing.:smile

I've no idea about acquisition of shims or fork seals, but guys on here with recent restorations have managed to find OEMs.

#8 ·
If in the USA use Partzilla..... When I rebuilt my engine I ordered all my OE parts from them..... I was able to get all my parts cheaper from them than my local Honda dealer here in the UK

#9 ·

You should probably just pony up and get a good used set of carbs from eBay. Diaphragms are no longer available and I had to do just that to get a deformed one replaced. Be picky though, and don't pay more than $200 for a set of OEM carbs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.