Made myself a rear stand.... - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Tools / Garage / Paddock Discussion of Motorcycle Related Tools, Stands, Lifts, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 06-29-2006, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 15

Made myself a rear stand....

hey everyone...
I have been really motivated about learning to weld, and i really like to fabricate things. So for a project i decided to make a rear stand because its a great tool to have, and extremely useful. Originally my buddy had a stand that i was thinking about buying one online but i said hell with it, since i have some materials and one of the best tig machines at my disposal at work, ill make one. Plus i didnt feel like spending the money because I have been laying out money for the 929/954 swap.
well here is a pic. because it seems i already uploaded some other but i cant do anymore.... could someone explain why??
well enhoy this pic....
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01530_smaller.jpg‎  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 06-29-2006, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Re: Made myself a rear stand....

I would like to research powder coating for things like this....
post #3 of 30 Old 06-30-2006, 1:00 AM

Reputation Power: 0

Looks pretty good. I finished two welding classes heading towards my certification (7 more to go) prior to being "employed for the summer". I was supposed to take my first of 3 TiG classes this summer but looks like I'll have to wait until fall.

PM davef for powdercoating. He's done a bunch of stuff for guys on this site. He should be on his way back from Grattan tomorrow so it'll probably be a day or two before he responds.

Cough up $15 ()to become a supporting member and you'll be able to upload as many pics as you please.

PS Just kidding Conq, it was the best $20 I've ever spent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 09-09-2006, 1:25 PM

Very nice job on the stand
post #5 of 30 Old 11-22-2006, 12:31 PM

Hi All,
Just got a 1998 CBR900. Haven't even ridden it yet (snow). I made a paddock stand for it yesterday and wanted to share the results. I used 1" 316 stainless steel sched 40 pipe since it is so easy to weld and polishes up nicely. I got a shop to bend the hoop (swapped a 6-pack). They could only do a 12" bend radius so I used a hydraulic car jack to bend the ends outward to the 13.5" spacing. Wheels are off some old rollerblades. I may modify it later if I add spools to the swingarm. I have attached a pic and pdf drawing I made for anyone who might need a winter project. I can post pics and details of the construction if anyone wants. Took about 4 hours total. Enjoy. Cam.

ps. going to build a front stand next
Attached Thumbnails
cbr_stand_s.jpg‎  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf B_CBR rear stand cbr stand (1).pdf‎ (30.9 KB, 463 views)

Last edited by KXcam; 11-22-2006 at 12:40 PM.
post #6 of 30 Old 11-22-2006, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Sweet, KXCam!

You guys have been repped!
post #7 of 30 Old 11-22-2006, 12:59 PM

my father in law has a pipe bender and i was a nuclear welder, so it looks like i got me a project to work on now that i have some dementions. i might make some mods.
post #8 of 30 Old 11-22-2006, 1:13 PM

Hey Mustangus. What's underneath that tarp?
post #9 of 30 Old 11-22-2006, 1:27 PM

looking good.

Can you now make a front one for a yamaha?
post #10 of 30 Old 11-22-2006, 4:36 PM

Quick26
Mod away! I still may have to add a top gusset if it shows signs of bending. I added the bottom gusset on the short section by the wheels since it started to bend there a bit. The pipe is unbelieveably strong yet the weight of the bike combined with the torque of pushing down on the handle was too much at that extreme angle. I was suprised since my calcs said it would be ok. Mounting the hoop lower and angling the main supports back a bit might be better. The 13 degree back angle is just about right - nice and stable. Once I design the front stand it should be easy to mod it for a yamaha. The steering stem pin will be different and maybe the height a bit but the rest should work. Cam.
post #11 of 30 Old 11-24-2006, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamus View Post
Cough up $15 ()to become a supporting member and you'll be able to upload as many pics as you please.
Well for a few reasons, this being one of them i decided to try to build my own website. Here are more picks of the rear stand build.
Fabricated Rear Stand
Since i have so many projects going on at once, I am constantly trying to update the site when time permits...
post #12 of 30 Old 11-24-2006, 11:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KXcam View Post
Hi All,
Just got a 1998 CBR900. Haven't even ridden it yet (snow). I made a paddock stand for it yesterday and wanted to share the results. I used 1" 316 stainless steel sched 40 pipe since it is so easy to weld and polishes up nicely. I got a shop to bend the hoop (swapped a 6-pack). They could only do a 12" bend radius so I used a hydraulic car jack to bend the ends outward to the 13.5" spacing. Wheels are off some old rollerblades. I may modify it later if I add spools to the swingarm. I have attached a pic and pdf drawing I made for anyone who might need a winter project. I can post pics and details of the construction if anyone wants. Took about 4 hours total. Enjoy. Cam.

ps. going to build a front stand next
Very nice, came out good....
post #13 of 30 Old 11-24-2006, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy-Dee View Post
Hey Mustangus. What's underneath that tarp?
Mustang Stuff
This is whats under the tarp... Been a loooong project for me. I have a lot of stuff that needs to be put on the site. Hopefully i'll get the paint work done by the end of the year.
post #14 of 30 Old 11-24-2006, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KXcam View Post
Quick26
Mod away! I still may have to add a top gusset if it shows signs of bending. I added the bottom gusset on the short section by the wheels since it started to bend there a bit. The pipe is unbelieveably strong yet the weight of the bike combined with the torque of pushing down on the handle was too much at that extreme angle. I was suprised since my calcs said it would be ok. Mounting the hoop lower and angling the main supports back a bit might be better. The 13 degree back angle is just about right - nice and stable. Once I design the front stand it should be easy to mod it for a yamaha. The steering stem pin will be different and maybe the height a bit but the rest should work. Cam.
hmmm. I am suprised schedule 40 pipe is bending? I just used EMT( whatever i could of found at my job), cant remember if its 1 1/4 or 1 1/2.
post #15 of 30 Old 11-24-2006, 5:02 PM

That's nice. I admire people that have skills like that.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > Tools / Garage / Paddock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page