Tool Brand Make - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Tools / Garage / Paddock Discussion of Motorcycle Related Tools, Stands, Lifts, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 11-12-2007, 5:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 59

Tool Brand Make

Hi Everyone,

Im sorry if there was a thread already on this subject but couldnt find it

I was just wondering what brand of tools bikers all over the world trust and use. I personally have faith in Snap-On (I know its expensive but they are really good and they have never let me down) but generally i use American/England/German made tools as the quality is better than chinease tools - has to be said

Thanks for your responses (if i get any)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 11-12-2007, 8:14 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Re: Tool Brand Make

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the top level tools that come with a lifetime warranty, Snap-On, Matco, Craftsman. I personally use the Craftsman just because you can get two sockets for the price of one snap-on socket and it is easier for the average person to take care of warranty issues. Every time I break anything I just walk in hand them the broken one show them the new one and walk out. I went through probably 15 of their shovels when I was landscaping. Very rarely did they actually fail, usually we ended up running them over with a skid-steer. For a professional snap-on is awesome because you have rep that shows up on schedule. It just depends on what you find convenient and what you prefer. It's almost like boxers vs. briefs. Arguments for any of the options but it is completely a preference issue. I have a few chinese tools as well. Sometimes they are all I can afford.
post #3 of 23 Old 11-13-2007, 1:10 PM Thread Starter

Im not saying chinease are totally crap, i used to use them as they were always available and if i broke a socket, i could go get one for a few pence.

Ive never heard of Matco or Craftsman, are they only available in the US?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 12-24-2007, 11:47 PM

Reputation Power: 12

Late to thread but...I am a tech here in the USA and I have mostly Beta (Italian, call me strange), Snap-On/Blue Point, Hazet (German) and some Matco and Craftsman. Craftsman is a Sears brand and based in the USA. Matco private labels alot of their tools, some not so good, but more affordable than Snap-On. They also sell Knipex pliers, which are great. If you are in the industry or a racer who does all their own work, I highly recommend owning a VacuumMate synchronizer. I have some Motion Pro junk too, they specialize in motorcycle tools, but the quality of some of their stuff is so-so. They are trying to remain affordable to do-it-yourselfers, I believe.
post #5 of 23 Old 12-25-2007, 12:24 AM

Reputation Power: 14

I am a professional auto technician and have used about everything in a industry setting so I have a pretty good idea whats what. Most of the tools mentioned are good. Craftsman tools are nice and work well for average joe but lack some when it comes to everyday constant duty. Matco, Snap-On and Mac tools work better for everyday. I have found MATCO to be excellent tools and in some cases nicer then MAC or Snap-On usually for less money. Again unless you are using these everyday professionally Craftsman is likley fine but for a profession the extra money for Snappy etc is well spent. I have also had good luck with some SK tools. I have a socket set and a wrench set for years that I really like. The wrenches especially have the same quality and style as Snap-On ones but with a flatter edge making them easier on your hand when using a lot of force. There is another brand like BlackHawk that I cannot think of at the moment that makes some very nice tools. If I think if it I will repost
post #6 of 23 Old 12-25-2007, 1:45 AM

Reputation Power: 17

I pretty much just head to auto zone and do the "BUILT TO LAST- DURALAST" thing. Havent had any probs with their tools yet. Hopefully never. they have a lifetime warranty anyway. I think.
post #7 of 23 Old 12-25-2007, 6:50 AM Thread Starter

Well if the tool does the job, then i think its a good tool.

There is no point going out and spending big bucks on big names like Snap on if the other tools do the same job for cheaper prices.

Ive built trust in Snap on and Blue Point and thats the reason why i like using them - Sealey tools, Mac Tools, SP, Chicago Pneumatics, Facom along with many others are in my tool boxes too.

"Second is the first of the losers..."
post #8 of 23 Old 01-16-2008, 7:53 PM

Reputation Power: 0

most top brands are decent but its a very individual thing.price ,avalability,and what your use to are all factors in the purchase of new tools.
post #9 of 23 Old 02-15-2008, 11:48 AM

im an automotive technician. have been for a while so i buy atleast one new tool a week. id have to say im extemely loyal to snap-on. when i break a tool the guy ull come to house to replace. and he comes to drop off things ive special ordered even if its not his day. id have to say the customer satisfaction won me over. ill still buy other tools if i need them. but for the quality, snap-on digs deep in my wallet
post #10 of 23 Old 02-15-2008, 2:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adriano1k View Post
im an automotive technician. have been for a while so i buy atleast one new tool a week. id have to say im extemely loyal to snap-on. when i break a tool the guy ull come to house to replace. and he comes to drop off things ive special ordered even if its not his day. id have to say the customer satisfaction won me over. ill still buy other tools if i need them. but for the quality, snap-on digs deep in my wallet
Im with you on this one!

Im looking to buy one of them huge Snap on chests, some on ebay at fraction of the retail price. Problem is they will leave a huge hole in my wallet too Decisions Decisions

post #11 of 23 Old 02-23-2008, 2:11 AM

Craftsman is good for the average guy but when I started my own motorcycle repair shop I started breaking them. So I sold all of my Craftsman tools except the box and replaced everything with Snap-on. I have had almost no problems and anything I do have a problem with they will drive to my shop and take care of it for me.
post #12 of 23 Old 02-24-2008, 7:42 PM

but the best u can, ive had cheap spanners etc break easily.
post #13 of 23 Old 02-25-2008, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnx14 View Post
but the best u can, ive had cheap spanners etc break easily.
Did you mean to say,

"buy the best u can, ive had cheap spanners etc break easily."

?

Ps, try not to buy the drop forged spanners, chrome vand is better

post #14 of 23 Old 02-25-2008, 5:18 PM

Reputation Power: 27

I was a professional Mechanic for a little over a decade.
Snap-on for everything except...
Hazet for FI, Cam, and Diesel timing tools.
Mac for impact sockets.
Matco for straight and offset ratchet wrenches.

BIG NOTE HERE!!!
Only Snap-on makes 1/4" drive universal sockets that are worth a damn. Their short socket 1/4" drive universals are shorter than all other brands. Try using something else as a pro mechanic. You will be sorry.

Ride Red
post #15 of 23 Old 02-26-2008, 7:46 AM

I like my Craftsman for my garage use. If I were a professional I'd use Snap-On or Mac Tools.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > Tools / Garage / Paddock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page