Straight Issues '95 CBR900rr - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Tools / Garage / Paddock Discussion of Motorcycle Related Tools, Stands, Lifts, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 04-01-2008, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Straight Issues '95 CBR900rr

I need some expertise. I stored my bike('95 CBR900rr) in garage for winter unheated. I did all the winterization steps required(stabil, oil in plugs, battery inside with trickle charger,blah blah blah). Now its spring, I have brought it out to start for the first time in 4 months, the damn thing won't start. Battery is great, fully charged(and holds a charge), it kicks over but just won't catch. It backfired a few times but wouldn't stay started. I have tried all the normal remedies, but don't to take it to the stealership as they will surely bankrupt me. Does anyone have any ideas that may help? I am thinking fuel pump or fuel filter, is this common to go bad if it ran great prior to storage? Is it the gasoline? Should I empty old gasoline out and replace with new high octane? Will an octane boost(or similar) help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-01-2008, 5:36 PM

Reputation Power: 17

Re: Straight Issues '95 CBR900rr

Well i have never read any steps to winterize a bike for storage, but, try the plugs. If its turning but not starting (does it want to start?) and its getting fuel that is. Do you get any backfires? Well then again, could be the carbs. But im not a carb guy so that is just from the hat.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-01-2008, 6:30 PM Thread Starter

it wants to start it sputts a lil then nothing....yeah it had backfired a few times but still hasnt kicked over
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 04-01-2008, 7:58 PM

1. Do you have new gas in the tank? Drain the old gas out and put it in your car or truck (there is almost definitely a bit of water and a bit of varnish in there, now, and the octane level is down). Put fresh high-octane in the tank.
2. Drain the float bowls - they are often full of crud. Turn the petcock back on and give the float bowls a couple of minutes to re-fill before trying to start again.
3. Pull a spark plug. Does is smell like gas? (It should smell like gas.) Is it fouled with oil? Check for spark (plug it back into the spark plug boot, ground the plug on the engine, turn it over). If it has fuel and spark, it HAS to start (unless it isn't getting air or the timing is out).
4. Check for mouse nests in the airbox and exhaust (I've seen it, more than once).
5. Move the kill switch back and forth a few times, to be sure it has a good contact. Place it in the 'run' position (stupid, but I've seen good mechanics kill a battery trying to start a bike with kill switch off / no gas / spark plug sitting on ground / etc. Happens to the best of them occasionally, and happens to me a lot.)

That takes care of fuel, air, and spark - the timing almost never goes on a modern bike, so it should run now. If you have done everything correctly and it still won't start, just stand and swear at the bike for a few minutes, then go have a drink.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-01-2008, 8:51 PM Thread Starter

First I drank, then I put new gas in it(as suggested) and it took a minute but it kicked right over just like before i stored it. Thanks for the help, Honestly i didn't think the gas would go bad after about 4 months, plus I put stabil in it. But it works and runs great. Hopefully the battery will hold a charge I ran it down a few times trying before

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > Tools / Garage / Paddock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page