Cleaning Front Wheel - Discolouration - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Tools / Garage / Paddock Discussion of Motorcycle Related Tools, Stands, Lifts, etc.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 11-08-2008, 7:01 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 231

Cleaning Front Wheel - Discolouration

I have Orange rims on my blade. The front is always a nightmare to clean, I'll grant you that.

But I have a discolouration on mine in patches, but covering most of the wheel. I've tried soapy water, degreaser and brake cleaner, yet still I have this wierd patch like cover.

Its as if, at some point whilst cleaning, I've broken down the dust from the pads and its "Set" under a protective film. I've scrubbed like a man posessed to get it off.

So now the rim is like an.."off-colour".

Any ideas????
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image020.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	33232

Thanks in advance

Do, or do not, there is no try !
The mind is a funny thing

Jazzy's Blog

Last edited by jazzy; 11-08-2008 at 7:02 AM. Reason: stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-08-2008, 7:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 36

Re: Cleaning Front Wheel - Discolouration

Sorry, I don't have any suggestions that you haven't tried already but I wouldn't recommend any harsh chemicals like brake cleaner.

Just thought of one. Maybe rubbing compound used for taking off oxidation from your paint. Try one that's the last step before wax, very fine. It certainly won't hurt it. Finish off with wax to help seal it. I use one all the time for boot scuffs, exhaust stains etc. and it works great.

Please let us know and good luck!
post #3 of 14 Old 11-09-2008, 4:34 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Can't help you with this one Jazzy.
Never cleaned a car or bike in my life :-)
Nearest I get is when I take something off for maintenance or modification then I'll clean the parts to inspect them.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 11-09-2008, 5:27 AM
Global Moderator

Reputation Power: 139

Send a message via MSN to Sideshow bob

I've used Turtlewax extreme cockpit/tyre shine to get crud off wheel rims..... worked well*

*On white rims... also works on hoses

As long as I fall, I don't hit the ground. As long as I fall, I'm safe & sound.
post #5 of 14 Old 11-09-2008, 6:01 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 270

Send a message via Skype™ to macca9540

I had this on my second 954. It looked like the base or undercoat was showing through or the top coat had been over polished and was so thin you could see through it, and was only on the front wheel. Cant help with any advice though. Famous explanation "probably a Honda thing"

I was young and stupid then. I'm old and stupid now.
We get too soon old, and too late smart.
I started off with nothing and still have most of it left.
A closed mouth gathers no feet.
post #6 of 14 Old 11-09-2008, 6:57 AM
DUX

Reputation Power: 21

It may not be fixable, but if you have a professional auto-detailing shop nearby I'd stop by and pick their brain.

Stay away from the harsh stuff for cleaning. I wouldn't even use a mag-wheel cleaner on them.

Soap and water + a cleaner wax. Maybe Simple-Green for the really dirty stuff.

post #7 of 14 Old 11-09-2008, 8:17 AM

Reputation Power: 16

i've heard of this problem on another forum forming on the repsols for some reason.. don't have a good explanation for it other than it must be a defect in the paint scheme...
post #8 of 14 Old 11-09-2008, 8:38 AM

Reputation Power: 12

Try S100 Total Cycle Cleaner. I have white wheels on my F2 and this stuff removes almost everything. If you use it on your rear wheel, it can dissolve chain lube, so relube after you clean.
post #9 of 14 Old 02-04-2009, 3:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideshow bob View Post
I've used Turtlewax extreme cockpit/tyre shine to get crud off wheel rims..... worked well*

*On white rims... also works on hoses
Quote:
Originally Posted by segiano View Post
Try S100 Total Cycle Cleaner. I have white wheels on my F2 and this stuff removes almost everything. If you use it on your rear wheel, it can dissolve chain lube, so relube after you clean.

Sorry been away for a bit but have taken advice on board and will tell you my findings. Thanks lads

Jazzy's Blog
post #10 of 14 Old 02-04-2009, 4:07 PM

Reputation Power: 0

I had a similar thing happen to the white fairing panels on my old VFR400. I had just sprayed a degreaser/pre-wash solution on the bike prior to washing it. After I'd washed and dried it the panel had this type of mark on it. Looked almost as though the cleaning solution had cut through the built up grime and was showing the true colour deep beneath! I removed the panel and soaked it in the cleaning solution and then washed it down completely and dried it. Then used a very mild cutting compound then polished and waxed it. Was fine after that.
post #11 of 14 Old 02-04-2009, 4:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeseyboy View Post
I had a similar thing happen to the white fairing panels on my old VFR400. I had just sprayed a degreaser/pre-wash solution on the bike prior to washing it. After I'd washed and dried it the panel had this type of mark on it. Looked almost as though the cleaning solution had cut through the built up grime and was showing the true colour deep beneath! I removed the panel and soaked it in the cleaning solution and then washed it down completely and dried it. Then used a very mild cutting compound then polished and waxed it. Was fine after that.
Same thing, its as if the true colour is being masked over. I think I used a degreaser prior to washing also. What cutting compound did you use?
Thanks reeseyboy

Jazzy's Blog
post #12 of 14 Old 04-30-2009, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by denzee View Post
Sorry, I don't have any suggestions that you haven't tried already but I wouldn't recommend any harsh chemicals like brake cleaner.

Just thought of one. Maybe rubbing compound used for taking off oxidation from your paint. Try one that's the last step before wax, very fine. It certainly won't hurt it. Finish off with wax to help seal it. I use one all the time for boot scuffs, exhaust stains etc. and it works great.

Please let us know and good luck!
Just thought I'd post an update on this problem.....I tried allsorts to clean the wheel up, then last weekend tried your idea Denzee. But unfortunately the outcome was the same as what the lads said on the 'Repsol' forum, when I popped in to pick their brains.
The wheel just goes straight to a matt finish!!! The finish layer, colour layer and primer layer have got to be the finest and most thinly coated paints of all time!!!!
Just a slight rubbing takes out the crap on top of the finish coat, BUT also the nice shiny finish, then TOO MUCH pressure and you're into the WHITE primer before you know it!!!!!
The lads in the 'Repsol' forum had found out that it seemed to be a major wheel paint problem that Honda wasnt that interested in
So I now need to get a finnishing coat put on the wheel to bring the colour back from matt.
There is one plus to this...I have a nice clean wheel now But then again I was probably the only person that would have noticed it in the 1st place, as you do!!!

Jazzy's Blog
post #13 of 14 Old 11-23-2009, 10:48 AM

Reputation Power: 0

maybe its just a layer of wax or something, my back wheel had a good layer of wax from the chain and grime from the road and when i took my wheels off to change the tires i attempted my first ever cleaning of the wheels! i used dish washing soap since it was handy from lubing the tires to get em off. i figured it would cut the grease, but not sure that worked so well on wax. i grabbed the glass cleaner for my visor and used that too. between the two it seemed to get an actual gloss back but a real pain. i would sctratch the paint with my nail and see if anything is under your nail. if not then you've reached your paint, if so then you have to get that wax, crud off still. i would try some wheel cleaner spray for cars next, that seems designed to get baked in brake dust off well and has worked well on my car wheels. i would try to keep all that off the tires though.
post #14 of 14 Old 11-23-2009, 5:14 PM Thread Starter

This is what you end up with ref to my last post...Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00573.JPG
Views:	8
Size:	121.9 KB
ID:	40028its now just a 'matt' finish ! There have been a lot of problems with the 07 Repsol wheels Very poor job from Honda

Jazzy's Blog

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > Tools / Garage / Paddock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page