Tie her up and strap her down - Page 2 - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Towing / Transport Discussion of Trailers, Wheel Chocks, Tie-Downs, Ramps, etc for Transporting Motorcycles.

User Tag List

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 23 Old 08-04-2017, 7:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: Tie her up and strap her down

Also using canyon dancer and it satisfies me so far.
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 Old 08-04-2017, 1:31 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 198

Canyon dancer here too. Without it, it's impossible to not touch the fairings with normal soft-tie's. They leave some powder on the grips, some grip protection I suppose. And as stated above, don't over tighten. When you see the forks start to compress, that's enough. I only compress my forks about 1/4 of the way. Leaves room for the suspension to dip as needed - without bottoming out - while hauling on bumpy roads.

@Jaybird180 , That PitBull mount is the cat's meow! But I would use front straps for insurance.
All this stuff works great under normal circumstances, but in an extreme situation, which can happen, I want the bike secured as well as possible. Let's say you happen to run in the ditch, but manage to pull it out, or have to slam on the brakes causing a potential jackknife - there's going to be a lot of forces at work trying to rip your bike out of it's security nest.

My current setup is the most ideal I could ask for. I have airbags to lower the pickup. Tailgate is about knee-high. F150, shortbed of only 5-1/2 feet with tailgate closed. Wedge the front tire into the left front corner, lift rear and swing it to right rear corner. Close tailgate, bike sits perfectly as if in chalks. Stuff a small block behind rear tire to keep 'er from rocking those few inches, and tie down front with CanyonDancer and soft-tie straps. The left strap goes to the left rear of the truck bed, the right one goes to the right front. Done many trips this way, at least 30 or so. Even took 'er on a 3000 mile round trip to visit family two summers ago.

I push the RC51, but I started out with smaller bikes, CR250, CRF450, even my VFR, I used to ride up into the bed. Never an accident, and very secure ramp to tailgate. (I watched a guy spin the ramp right out from under him one time! That was funny. A dirt bike, no damage this time.) The hardest part is picking the rear of the bike up by the rear wheel or exhaust brackets to swing it into the corner. Not bad at all.
Attached Thumbnails
126.JPG‎   IMAG0263.jpg‎   Mulholland_2014_3.jpeg‎   no words needed.jpg‎  

post #18 of 23 Old 08-04-2017, 2:04 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 22

Garage

Your trucks are so fricking huge! We couldn't believe the size of some of them when we were in California last year, we just don't have anything on the roads of that size, even a Volvo XC90 looks tiny over there, here it's a huge and anti-social car to own.
jondog9 likes this.

1993 CBR900 RR P
1994 CBR900 RR R Urban Tiger Project (now sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 23 Old 08-04-2017, 2:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 9

@jondog9 - seems you're a "belt and suspenders" kinda guy. I like what you have there with the F-150- that thing seat 5?

I "need" to tow 2 sport bikes to the track. I'm currently looking for a deal on a trailer. Something small enough to tow behind our Odyssey. It worked very well my last 2 trips. My wife and I left the middle row at home and stowed the 3rd row and slept trackside for 2 nights.

FWIW- I bought a set of canyon dancers and will likely buy another set for those rare occasions when I will bring both bikes.

-My 06 Fireblade Build Thread
-Her 02 CBR600F4i Custom Suspension
-My 07 CRF230F sold
-My 97 XR100
-07 CRF50F son's
-92 CB750 She lets me ride it, Jetted
-13 CRF110F, 01XR50 Daughter's

Because 12,000 RPM makes me feel better
post #20 of 23 Old 08-04-2017, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunk View Post
Your trucks are so fricking huge! We couldn't believe the size of some of them when we were in California last year, we just don't have anything on the roads of that size, even a Volvo XC90 looks tiny over there, here it's a huge and anti-social car to own.
The anti-social eco destroyer in my area is the Hummer. Talk about huge! And 90% of the ones I see are city queens that NEVER touch the off-road. All show. Don't see many now, but they were around a few years ago.
post #21 of 23 Old 08-04-2017, 3:07 PM

Jaybird, I'd definitely want that pitbull for a trailer. Especially for two bikes, as it seems so easily adaptable. That's a sweet and well engineered piece. I'm partial to pitbull, own 2 front stands (fork lift and bottom clamp lift) and the rear stand. They're the best. imo.
Good luck, looking forward to seeing how you set it up.
post #22 of 23 Old 08-08-2017, 10:39 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 27

Garage

Converted dirt bike trailer. Front wheel secured against stop, rear tight enough that compression over a major bump would not dislodge "J" hooks on ratchet straps, front Canyon Dancer... just tight enough to do same as rear yet not so tight as to torque things out of shape. ATL to Michigan (Grattan) no problems.
Attached Thumbnails
leaving_for_grattan_6-26-04-med.jpg‎  
unslow1 likes this.

Life always looks better through bugs on a face shield.
post #23 of 23 Old 08-18-2017, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr99xx View Post
Converted dirt bike trailer. Front wheel secured against stop, rear tight enough that compression over a major bump would not dislodge "J" hooks on ratchet straps, front Canyon Dancer... just tight enough to do same as rear yet not so tight as to torque things out of shape. ATL to Michigan (Grattan) no problems.
Nice work there! She's secure!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > Towing / Transport

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page