Tie her up and strap her down - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Towing / Transport Discussion of Trailers, Wheel Chocks, Tie-Downs, Ramps, etc for Transporting Motorcycles.

User Tag List

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 03-27-2017, 2:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 10

Tie her up and strap her down

Thought I would make an inviting subject line until I saw there was a forum dedicated to such things: trailering bikes.

This weekend, I had the opportunity to trailer my bike to the suspension shop. I'm glad I didn't ride it there (although the weather was nice) because I wouldn't have had a ride back, but that's OT.

One thing I noticed is the lack of definite tie down points on my Fireblade kept her firmly planted. Intuition told me to go check certain things and sure enough I would find that something would come undone on my ratchet straps.

I think the bike was actually moving which allowed for the slack in the line to occur. I had a tie down point around the rear pax pegs and around the forks, extending downward, the front wheel in a makeshift chock and the sidestand down. The right for would visibly compress as I ratcheted, so that' s where I stopped. I'm wondering if I should have stood the bike erect before cranking on the ratchets.

-My 06 Fireblade Build Thread
-Her 02 CBR600F4i Custom Suspension
-My 07 CRF230F sold
-My 97 XR100
-07 CRF50F son's
-92 CB750 She lets me ride it, Jetted
-13 CRF110F, 01XR50 Daughter's

Because 12,000 RPM makes me feel better
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 03-27-2017, 2:35 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 25

Re: Tie her up and strap her down

For the front I have always used a Canyon Dancer or the competing product...I have both. I personally think using the side stand is dangerous. I know it can take a lot of abuse, but a few good potholes and you could be in trouble.

I know some people that say the canyon dancer can tweak your suspension. I think between a wheel chock would still be better. The canyon dancer to keep it from backing out of the wheel chock and to keep it upright. On the rear, tie downs to keep the rear from moving back and up. You could even do two sets, one set goes forward and one goes back. Some use soft tie downs and go around the rim and tire.
post #3 of 23 Old 03-27-2017, 2:38 PM
Global Moderator

Cycle cynch is the other product that competes with the canyon dancer.

Welcome to Canyon Dancer, Inc. - Home of the original Bar-Harness.

Cycle Cynch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 03-27-2017, 5:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 122

Garage

Yep, upright is the only way to transport safely. I always pull fwd with one set and back with the other. If you have it on the side stand it can effectively pivot on it and work loose as you experienced. I've never used any of the "fancy" products like wheel chocks or the canyon dancer (I've sort of constructed my own out of rope, and Boy Scout knot tying), but if I ever decide to haul mine any kind of distance I probably will.
jondog9 and Jaybird180 like this.

Last edited by fj1200rj; 03-27-2017 at 5:41 PM.
post #5 of 23 Old 07-06-2017, 3:23 AM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARZINI View Post
I found out there is an art to putting on canyon dancers type straps. If you get it wrong it will mess up your grips (I did that). I put an e-track in front of the bike to get more mounting options and the combination of not tightening them as much and getting them in a better position helped me when I trailered a couple of weeks ago.
Can you elaborate on the Canyon Dancer install, and perhaps save someone else's grips? It looks pretty self-explanatory to me.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all their life"-Marco Simoncelli
post #6 of 23 Old 07-08-2017, 2:00 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

its almost counter intuitive, but i find the kind of straps that you can pull tight through a buckle to be the best for trailering. i loop them around the grips, hook them in and while sitting on the bike, one strap in each hand, rock back n forth while pulling the straps tight. suspension doesnt need to be completely compressed, but some. then i tie the loose end of the straps around the buckle in a way that they cant loosen to lock them in.

ive never used a chock. i do put at least a single strap through and around the rear tire, or one on each passenger rear set, but i dont really use those to compress the suspension at all. they are just there as a safety backup and to keep the rear from moving side to side by any small chance. i just lightly tighten the rear units.

ive hauled dirt bikes and street bikes like this hundreds of times.
jondog9 likes this.

"love is the feeling you get when you like something as much as your motorcycle."-Hunter S. Thompson
post #7 of 23 Old 07-08-2017, 9:42 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fj1200rj View Post
Can you elaborate on the Canyon Dancer install, and perhaps save someone else's grips? It looks pretty self-explanatory to me.
The same holds true for a Canyon Dancer or a Cycle Cynch. Don't over tighten the straps connected to them. Also, make sure that the sleeves are not at the end of the bar ends; the sleeves should be closest to the switch gear as possible.
post #8 of 23 Old 07-08-2017, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

I plan to eliminate all the shenanigans. I'm looking for a good deal on a trailer and when. I find it, plan to install a rear axle mount like Pitbull or MotoD.
One contact point and it's done.
This is the Pitbull but the MotoD is very similar and a few bucks cheaper.
jondog9 likes this.

-My 07 CRF230F sold
-My 97 XR100
-07 CRF50F son's

post #9 of 23 Old 07-08-2017, 12:43 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybird180 View Post
I plan to eliminate all the shenanigans. I'm looking for a good deal on a trailer and when. I find it, plan to install a rear axle mount like Pitbull or MotoD.
https://youtu.be/1zK8mEM8d1c
I would still use a Cycle Cynch or Canyon Dancer. If you hit any bumps, it will help keep the front of the motorcycle from bouncing around.

Out of the two, I'd go with the Pit Bull because of how over engineered they are and their customer service. They also make the same product for a longtime; so even 10 years from now if a new bike requires something different, you will most likely be able to use it with the correct part. Take their front stands that use a pin; they will just sell a new pin so that you use your current stand with the new pin on the new bike.
jondog9 likes this.
post #10 of 23 Old 07-08-2017, 1:14 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanbrown View Post
The same holds true for a Canyon Dancer or a Cycle Cynch. Don't over tighten the straps connected to them. Also, make sure that the sleeves are not at the end of the bar ends; the sleeves should be closest to the switch gear as possible.
Like I said, all common sense to me...

Quote:
https://youtu.be/1zK8mEM8d1c
Looks like a great product, Jay. If I ever trade the motorhome in for a trailer I'll probably go with the Pit-Bull.
unslow1 likes this.

"You live more for 5 minutes going fast on a bike than other people do in all their life"-Marco Simoncelli
post #11 of 23 Old 07-08-2017, 1:16 PM

Garage

Quote:
I would still use a Cycle Cynch or Canyon Dancer. If you hit any bumps, it will help keep the front of the motorcycle from bouncing around.

Out of the two, I'd go with the Pit Bull because of how over engineered they are and their customer service. They also make the same product for a longtime; so even 10 years from now if a new bike requires something different, you will most likely be able to use it with the correct part. Take their front stands that use a pin; they will just sell a new pin so that you use your current stand with the new pin on the new bike.
I would probably also go with a strap on the front for piece of mind.
jondog9 likes this.

post #12 of 23 Old 07-08-2017, 1:30 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fj1200rj View Post
Like I said, all common sense to me...
These days, common sense is not all that common. Everyday it just seems that this is going to happen.
post #13 of 23 Old 07-08-2017, 6:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

For the reason you mentioned (and possible resale value) it's hard to ignore the Pitbull. I'll pay attention to the instruction manual carefully but from what I gather, straps would be redundant as the front end can't walk laterally.

-My 07 CRF230F sold
-My 97 XR100
-07 CRF50F son's

post #14 of 23 Old 07-08-2017, 6:37 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
For the reason you mentioned (and possible resale value) it's hard to ignore the Pitbull. I'll pay attention to the instruction manual carefully but from what I gather, straps would be redundant as the front end can't walk laterally.
True story, someone transporting my RC51 way back when hit a rough road and the bike tore the front wheel chock out of the plywood. That is why I said I would still use a Cycle Cynch or Canyon Dancer. It would keep the front from bouncing and while traveling or braking, help keep some load off of the floor. The front straps wouldn't need to be tight like you would typically use as the bike is already secured. The front straps would just add some stability and offloading.
post #15 of 23 Old 07-09-2017, 3:58 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 270

Send a message via Skype™ to macca9540

I've used these before and think they're great.
Also have a set of bar tie downs (canyon dancers) to secure the front,
only don't over tighten them as your grips will suffer.
jondog9 likes this.

I was young and stupid then. I'm old and stupid now.
We get too soon old, and too late smart.
I started off with nothing and still have most of it left.
A closed mouth gathers no feet.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > Towing / Transport

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page