rebuilding the trailer! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Towing / Transport Discussion of Trailers, Wheel Chocks, Tie-Downs, Ramps, etc for Transporting Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 06-12-2004, 9:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

rebuilding the trailer!

Well, It's down to a couple of weeks before Grattan so I figured I better start preparing.

My old Nor'Easter 2 place snowmobile trailer was in rough condition and I wasn't feeling too confident making the 1600 mile trek with it. I pulled off all the decking, ordered a new axle, springs, hubs, bearings, got new tires, replaced the hitch, and replaced the entire lighting system. The frame is galvanized steel and in pretty decent condition. I will feel much better towing my bikes now. I ordered 2 pitbull wheel chocks and will be installing them when they arrive. I also got some of those nifty recessed tie-down rings to install in the deck so I won't have to worry about finding places to secure the bikes.

My only question, how far forward should I have the bikes? Usually ya want 60 front/ 40 rear. I don't see why this would change but I figured I'd ask for those with real motorcycle trailers or more knowledge on the subject.

Now I have to prep the bikes and make sure the jeep is all ready to go!! Almost there!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-12-2004, 9:21 PM

Re: rebuilding the trailer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedTechRR
Usually ya want 60 front/ 40 rear.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-13-2004, 3:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedTechRR
Well, It's down to a couple of weeks before Grattan so I figured I better start preparing.

My old Nor'Easter 2 place snowmobile trailer was in rough condition and I wasn't feeling too confident making the 1600 mile trek with it. I pulled off all the decking, ordered a new axle, springs, hubs, bearings, got new tires, replaced the hitch, and replaced the entire lighting system. The frame is galvanized steel and in pretty decent condition. I will feel much better towing my bikes now. I ordered 2 pitbull wheel chocks and will be installing them when they arrive. I also got some of those nifty recessed tie-down rings to install in the deck so I won't have to worry about finding places to secure the bikes.

My only question, how far forward should I have the bikes? Usually ya want 60 front/ 40 rear. I don't see why this would change but I figured I'd ask for those with real motorcycle trailers or more knowledge on the subject.

Now I have to prep the bikes and make sure the jeep is all ready to go!! Almost there!!
well done mate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-13-2004, 7:24 PM

You want 10-15% of total weight on the tounge. Shift your load accordinaly.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-13-2004, 9:47 PM

Odd my chock said to mount as far forward as possible in the instructions....works fine how it is mounted so I guess it dont matter.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-13-2004, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

anyone else have any input on this? Would I want to put them all the way forward? That is much more weight on the front than 60%. That would put the rear wheel almost on the axle, maybe a foot behind?
post #7 of 7 Old 06-13-2004, 10:34 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 27

Garage

I've been working on my trailer this weekend as well. I have an old dirt bike trailer that I've been using until I hit the Lotto and can afford an enclosed trailer.

I swapped the 8" wheels for a 12" set. Repacked the wheel bearings replaced the grease seals and installed bearing buddies. And... added a place for my gas cans to ride on my trailer (since I don't have a truck anymore).

All of this coupled with... Installing a trailer hitch on my Durango, wiring for trailer lights and doing a front brake job which required replacement of the rotors. I still need to change the oil. Heck, I could use a little Lotto money now!

I start on the bike this next week.

Life always looks better through bugs on a face shield.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > General Motorcycling > Towing / Transport

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page